What's new

What's going on with Chapter list inserts? (1 Viewer)

DanRevill

Agent
These days quite a few DVDs that I've purchased are missing Chapter List sheets inside the covers. It started when I bought UHF when it came out, and more and more it's commonplace including copies of Pirates of the Carribean, Peter Pan (2003), The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and quite a few lower priced MGM discs...

I'm guessing I'm not the only one this has happened to. What gives?

Jodee

Screenwriter
The worst was when I once sold an MGM disc on Half.com and the buyer gave me bad feedback because the insert was "missing"!

:rolleyes

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was looking at my copy of Hellboy. It includes a fair sized booklet but to this day, I have not found the chapter listing. Regarding the lack of inserts, I find this annoying and cheap.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Not having a chapter list insert doesn't bother me at all. Never had a reason to use it.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I like having chapter list inserts. It helps me a lot when I have to stop a movie for whatever and have to come back later. All I have to do is look at the listings to see where I left off if I forget the chapter number, which I tend to do a lot. In stead of having to go through each chapter section on the DVD, I just look at the listing on the insert and go right to the section where I left off. I also like the pictures and art they put on a lot of them.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Chapter breakdowns are not really necessary - you can view them in the "scene selection" of the DVD menu. What I do miss are the liner notes - the interesting behind-the-scenes facts and photos that MGM and other studios) included with nearly every release for a while, and many were 8 pages long. But, then, DVD retail prices were $10-15 higher in those days.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think that studios should either leave it empty or include something worth reading. A booklet with some essays, interviews, etc would be nice (like what Criterion, Kino, Blackhawk, and Fox do), but just to put the chapters...

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
if it's a one-sheet with only chapter stops...it's nothing more than a waste of paper for me. if they will not include a nice fold-out with info or a collectable booklet....then I prefer they leave it out. they are not fancy, but I make my own, personal and custom booklets right off my computer. I include historical facts, reveiws and any other tidbit I find essential, on a personal level.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's probably true for a lot of people. Why waste money and resources on something that's already on the DVD?

In fact, I actually hate them. Mainly on the "Blind-Buys" because I don't want to read a chapter title that may spoil the movie for movie...that's why I avoid reading them at all costs.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
It sure would be nice if instead of just doing nothing they would use the insert to educate people about widescreen releases.

Even with as much as DVD has accomplished in introducing people to the concept - the studios could do more.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

Sure the chapters are on the DVD, but you have to:

a) stop the movie to get to the menu
b) navigate through 8 pages of submenus to get to the later chapters
c) sit through five minutes of those AWESOMELY COOL transition scenes between the menus
d) see spoilers on the thumbshots or mini motion screens

I'd much rather just glance at a chapter insert.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Dave, you have to start the DVD no matter what, so why not start the movie and use the chapter skip to get to the chapter you want? or just scan to the point you want?

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I think we'll see less and less in the inserts world, especially if the studios move to ThinPaks and narrower cases that don't even have room for them. A bummer, but what'cha gonna do?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been avoiding posting this for awhile now, but I can no longer resist. Of all the many "extras" that can be had for a DVD, the most expendable is easily the insert slip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks