What's new

What's going on up there in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Living in Delaware, I'm used to the smells, but something was different today. It smelled like something burning and it was foggy out. Come to find out it's smoke from a fire in Canada! Whats on fire and from where?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, I can smell burning wood up here in NJ, I noticed it when I came home from July 4th on Saturday.. That night I found out it was from the fires in Quebec. I thought I was going nuts cause I saw the haze, I smelled the fire, I walked around the house to make sure nothing's cooking and eventually found out on the news the fire in Quebec. Supposedly started by lightning but I couldn't find out where in Quebec. Hopefully the easterly winds will blow the smoke east of us and out to sea, but that doesn't help those in NE and eastern LI/CT/RI...

Jay

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The fire area is located in Northern Quebec alongside Hudson's Bay. The smoke was pushed southward by the wind and shadowed everything in it's path. Montreal's sky was a sickly shade of orange all day long instead of it's usual bright blue, the sun seriously blotted out by the smoke. It was like living on Mars!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Montreal's sky was a sickly shade of orange all day long instead of it's usual bright blue, the sun seriously blotted out by the smoke. It was like living on Mars!
I found that funny that it didn't rain... I was worried all day that it could start raining at any time as I thought those were clouds, you know the type where the whole sky is the same color, typical when it rains.

It was so thick, that I could watch a movie with the blinds open as it was very dark all day long. Something that will never happen again.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
We have over 150 fires burning up in northern Saskatchewan.
Basically due to the dry hot weather.

It's unfortunate that 100's of years of forest growth is destroyed, but it's a reality..Much of the fires are caused by lightening storms with little rain.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I always thought it smelt like an open sewer! Yonge street in the middle of summer is just yeecccch.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
did the smell of the smoke help mask the smell of the rotting garbage?
The smoke smelled way worse than anything I've smelled here in TO so far (though I haven't walked through Chinatown during this strike yet). As for Yonge street, with exception of a few overly full garbage bins, it's pretty much the same as always (which isn't necessarily a good thing).

But it's pretty amazing that the smoke can travel so far and affect so many people.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
How's the smoke condition in Montreal and Ottawa? My daughter is going there for a couple of days and I would like to know whether the smoke condition is still there.

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
In Ottawa most of the smoke passed through on sunday as Francois stated, there is only a lingering bit now. Hope ur daughter has a good time!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Here in NH, we still have lingering haze/smoke, though I can't always tell if it's smoke or rain clouds. :) Sunday though, was surreal. When we got out of bed it looked overcast outside, but the color was... weird. Almost like the grayscale was pushed way toward the red (oops, some HT geek talk slips out) :) It never rained, but in the afternoon the sun was orange. I thought it seemed like smoke from a fire, or something unusual going on, but I didn't know what until they mentioned on the radio that it was coming from Quebec. I'm surprised smoke could travel so far and still be so thick. :eek:
I took a picture of the surreal orange sun Sunday afternoon and posted it here.
KJP

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Man I wouldn' want to see Chinatown right now, it must be a mess!
Brent
T.o. is a great city is "Tommy":)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Residential areas aren't that bad where I live...
But the areas around the temporary dump sites are baaad...
Look at the video here...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks