What's new

What's Frank Darabont's next film, is he still directing? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Taking inspiration from Crawdaddy's John Hughes thread, I was wondering what Frank Darabont is up to?

He directed three of my favorite film's The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Majestic (yes, it is one of my favs, most that bash it just don't get what Frank was doing with that film IMO, he was going for Frank Capra), he seems to wait for subjects that are special, one's that he could breath his brand of magic into.

I don't know what it is about his film's, but other film's just don't FEEL like a Frank Darabont film does, I can't explain it. Needless to say he's one of my favorite director's. :emoji_thumbsup:

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Last I heard, he was going to film an adaptation of one of my favorite Stephen King stories, "The Mist". He had been trying to get this one going for a while, and I'm hoping he goes through with it. He seems to be one of the few directors who really get King's writing style, and the thought of him adapting one of the best horror stories he's written has me really excited.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
According to IMDB, he is working on the long delayed adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451". I have been looking forward to this since the rumors of this film started several years ago. The talent associated with this production has changed several times, but with the inclusion of Darabont, my hopes are as high as ever.

This is my favorite novel of all time, but I never cared for the first adaptation of the book. Here is to hoping that Darabont can do something special with it.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I can't believe I haven't seen The Majestic yet! I JUST added it to my Netflix queue.

But Shawshank has the distinction of being one of maybe two or three movies that has the power to make me shed tears at the end. I love that movie and make it a priority to watch it many times throughout the year. It's also one of the few films that I consider perfect, in the same company as Casablanca and The Godfather, among few others. It's amazing how it gets better with each year, and I love how much of a following it's acquired since it came out and didn't really do much at the time.

Whoops, I know this is a "what's this guy up to now" topic, but I couldn't help to take the opportunity to talk about one of my favorite films ever. :)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I think Farenheit 451 is probably the only movie set to be remade that I have ever felt definitely needed a remake. Most remakes are new versions of movies that were already great in the first place and are okay, but unnecessary at best, and horrible and a disgrace to their inspiration at worst. The Farenheit 451 movie made in the 60s is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It is unbearably cheesy, and a remake can only be an improvement, especially with Darabont directing it.

I'm shocked that the director of that movie could make something so awful after stellar work on another movie. It's like Rob Reiner being the same guy who made awesome movies like The Sure Thing and The Princess Bride going on to make North, and Richard Linklater being the guy who made both Before Sunrise (my third favourite movie) and Slacker (in my opinion, the second worst movie I've ever seen).

I can't believe that the same guy who made The 400 Blows also made Farenheit 451. I've never read Farenheit 451, but I could tell from the movie that it is a book with an excellent and original story that deserves a better presentation in a movie. I'm sure Darabont will restore dignity to that story with his film adaptation of it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Oh I get what Darabont was trying to do with The Majestic, it's just that he failed completely, imo.

Glad you enjoyed it John, but I thought it was terrible on almost every level. Pretentious, cloying, long, dull and just too full of itself. A poor mans Cinema Paradiso I thought.

Loved Shawshank and liked Green Mile so I'll see his next film of course.

Sorry pal. ;)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I am much more excited about the possibility of Darabont doing The Mist- one of my all-time favourite King short stories.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't disagree more about Fahrenheit 451. I think Truffaut's movie is one of the few truly great science fiction films and I dread Darabont spewing all over it. If he does it, I hope with all my energy that it's more Shawshank and less Green Mile...

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I will believe a remake of F451 when it finally gets made and shown in theaters. I would love to see it as much as anyone else. Hope it happens.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
? Two solid movies. Shawshank is a classic and Green Mile is very good so I am not sure what is meant by that statement. Both were true to the source material so that should not be a concern.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I personally didn't care much for the movie when I first saw it, but it's improved in my mind after giving it thought. The special effects are still ridiculously terrible and its fairly different from the book, but I think it's a good movie. I like its simplicity. Most of all, I love the ending which I find hauntingly beautiful.

As far as a remake goes, I look forward to a remake. I'm hoping for something closer to the book.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Darabont was on Charlie Rose a few months ago plugging Shawshank 10th anniversary DVD and said he's been mostly freelancing, doing re-writes and touch ups on scripts (for cash, not credits) the past several years. I believe he also briefly mentioned Fahrenheit aspirations

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks