What's new

What's everyone's thought on Sears as a HT retailer? (1 Viewer)

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious what you all think. I happen to work for Sears in the electronics department, and my first couple thoughts on this subject is that our displays suck and a few too many of the salespeople are high school kids who don't know all that much.

From what I've picked up on here, most of you think pretty much the same, but that since we match the 'net we're a good place to buy. Plus we have that almighty Sears card so we can charge you 21.9% interest!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
This is my first time hearing about the price match policy @ Sears. The only thing I've ever bought there is a battery for my car but while I was waiting checked out the HT section and it seemed to be a limited selection of overpriced stuff. I'll have to look into this deal, mabye I can come up with something worth buying.....

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I purchased my Wega from Sears about one year ago and it was one of the best shopping experiences I've ever had. The electronics manager price-matched the lowest advertised price and threw in the matching stand as part of the deal. He also happened to be very knowledgeable and courteous. On top of all of this, they have fantastic warranty coverage - they back what they sell! In short, I am a very satisfied Sears customer that wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again (and I have many times).

That's my story...

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
Carl,

The price matching policy is a really sweet deal. Basically anybody anywhere selling the same model new in the box, we'll match it. For the online stuff, we do have to add shipping into the cost of the product, and still charge sales tax. Makes sense when ya think about it. Just last night I sold the 50" Toshiba widescreen (50h81?? maybe, the model number escapes me cuz we don't really use them) that's regularly $2499 for $1958 cuz the guy found a deal online!

Our selection is pretty limited, although for RP HD's and standard tubes, I'd say we have a really nice selection. We don't have the XBR Sony's or some of the higher Mitsu's, but we still have Hitachi, Panny, Toshiba, Mitsu, Sony, pretty decent selection I think on those.

TimA

Auditioning
I also had a great HT shopping experience at Sears. I had been searching for a Sony Mega-DVD player model DVP-CX860. This player holds 301 DVDs and since space is a premium for me I thought this would be the way to go. I did some price checking and the lowest amount I had found it locally was $450.00. Which was less than some marked at $499, the only problem is that they were so busy no one could help me. So I decided to return on a less busy day. My wife and I were at the mall and just happen to go into Sears to check out their kitchen stuff and my wife had commented on the amusing Sears commercials about Hitachi TVs, so we strolled over to TV and Electonics. I was really impressed by the department, and they had the Sony DVD player for $499, when I told them I had found it for $450 at another store the salesperson said immediately "we'll match it no problem". Well they had the sale. Later that night searching online I found the player for $369 at fusion.com and moreaudiovideo.com . When I took the print outs back to Sears, my salesperson made a call and tried to get the fusion.com price match, but Sears was not familiar with that set up, so I was told they would need to get back to me on that one. When I showed the moreaudiovideo.com price sheet she called again, and was permitted to price match that one and credited my credit card. So the moral of the story is that a tiny bit of homework on my part and I saved $130 on the player I wanted all along. Not a bad deal at all.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
Had a great experience purchasing a Sony Mini DV Camcorder from Sears. They price matched, without hesitation, the lowest price I could find on the internet. Would have cost me about $350 more at Best Buy or CC. Kudos to Sears.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my 27" Zenith from them about 12 years ago. I remember that I had gone to some other stores, but nobody seemed interested in helping me. When I went to the Sears store a youngish guy was more than happy to answer my questions, and even pulled the TV out so we could check out the back of the set for connections. Most places will tell you that they don't have the manual for the unit you are looking at because they just don't want to be bothered going to look for it, but he had no problem getting it for me.

His attitude made the sale, even though it was a little higher price than at one of the other stores.

Van_D

Auditioning
dumb question but which page of the online retailer site do i print out to get the price match?

Richard Perris

Auditioning
My recent Sears exp. is rather mixed. Not really HT but I went there 2 weeks prior to Xmas to purchase a Sony PC9 Digital Video Camera. Price at 1,289.00 was the going rate and they had a special deal. 1 year same as cash on the Sears charge card and a carry case with lens cleaning items thrown in for good measure. Sounded great!

Then the problems started. Of course they were out of stock. The "just out of high school kid" had no suggestions so I found a more seasoned salesperson. He could not special order it for me because his computer said "do not back order". He could only offer me a rain check but I should not expect the special deal of 1 year same as cash and the carry bag. When I almost bolted he said "well, OK then, same deal on a rain check. Expect it to come in in about a week and I'll call you when it comes in."

You guessed it, no call. So I called and no one could help me. I called a week later (now after Xmas) and still no camera. two more weeks and a new person told me I should come in and, get this, "special order it!". I told him what you would expect I would tell him and he said "That's strange. My computer says we can back order it."

With that I went in, pre-payed for it, and awaited the call. It came last week (some 9 weeks after I first went in) and I returned to Sears to receive my camera. Of course they didn't have the carry case with the lens cleaning items and weren't very agreeable about compensating me. I did end up leaving with my new camera and a substitute case but no lens cleaners.

I wouldn't buy from them again. It's just not worth it.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Is price matching a standard practice for all Sears locations? I had no luck getting the local Sears locations to match an internet price (from a reputable site, no less) on a digital camcorder. Granted, this was about a year ago, but I'd read that Sears was supposed to be honoring internet prices even then.

It wasn't a big deal, really. I only wanted the convenience of taking the camera home that day. Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks