What's new

Whats everyones opinion on mcm drivers/woofers (1 Viewer)

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
I was just wondering. So far I found one person that said they are terrible. I'm talking about the 12" ones in particular.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I've never used them but many others have and say good things including Steve DeckertFrom the table of contents select Speakers | Misc speakers | Decware 10 inch three way.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
It depends on which driver and what your application is.

I have used their 55-1465, a dual voice coil 12" with a rubber surround and poly treated paper cone. I had it in my car and it was quite good in that application (two of them, actually). However, the Fs is a bit too high and Qts a bit too low for home application, in my opinion. It's a great value, but I think the Dayton Quatro line is a better value.

Overall, the quality of MCM woofers is quite good, with nice construction, appearance, and performance. The reason you spend so much less is the relatively low Xmax. MCM now sells some higher Xmax woofer (about 13mm), but the price is much higher. Unfortunately they do not specify Xmax on most of their woofers. Even with the low Xmax though, just glancing through their pages, it seems in terms of swept volume per dollar, a few of the MCM woofers beat out the Quatros or Adire units. But these days, there is only so much you can do with a subwoofer having only 4mm of excursion, even if it is only $20. :)

Aaron Gilbert

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I'll post some later and tell me what your opinions are on that sub. I'm new to this and want to build a budget sub for my room. I'm also planning on using their 250watt amp for like $90. Any opinions on their amp

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit

This one looks like a great value, much better value than the Dayton Quatro 12". In fact, in theory, it could give you about 85% of the Dayton 15" Quatro at 71% the price. :)
I suspect this one may have a rather large magnetic field though. Durability may be an unknown, however. The Daytons come with a five year warranty.

Michael, much as I love comparing specs and prices and such, eventually you'll just need to pick something. There are dozens and dozens of good woofers out there, perhaps hundreds. You'll just need to decide which features are most important to you and what your maximum budget is.

Aaron Gilbert

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
just a little help here. I do not know much but I have seen your posts. PE just posted a bunch of stuff on the S&D (scratch and dent) page. everything is marked down.
they have a DAYTON 15" SERIES II WOOFER for 60 instead of 80.

I do not know anything about its performance

and a
DAYTON 10" QUATRO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks