what's enough?

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I've started my HT system with Energy Take 5, and I've been upgrading system. Now, B&W 604s3 and CDM7NT are on the table. Yes, they're in different classes. If I go with 604s3, I'll be settling with my Denon 3802. (Hopely
) Otherwise, I'm gonna have to go through all the way to seperates... I'm no audiophile, and I don't know where I have to stop, or rather, when I can stop...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
As I see it there are two reasons to stop.

No money left.

You aren't hearing a difference.

When either of those reasons stops you varies greatly from person to person.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Well I for one think most audiophiles--if they were completely honest about it--would admit that they stopped hearing a difference several upgrades ago.

--Steve

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Since you started with energy take 5 and are upgarding, do you happen to have any spare energy take 5 speakers...I'm looking to get an energy take 5 set...

Thanks,

-ELmO

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
For some guys it's always about the "chase" not what they actually catch
I'm talking about HT stuff....
My approach is to decide what my goals are and then buy/build a system that can meet those goals. I wanted 7.1, deep/thundering bass, loud & clean speakers, and simplicity. Basically I want to spend more time on the couch than in stores/on-line shopping, etc...
I ended up with:
Klipsch KLF-30's, 20's, 10's + 10 CC
DIY dual Tempest sonosub
Still using old RCA 36" TV
basic DTS DVD player
5 disc CD player
About the only thing I still want is a WS TV, but I don't have room in my current location. Also "might" consider a 5 channel amp one day, if my hearing goes and I need more power.
While this works for me many others totally enjoy researching, auditioning, and buying the next upgrade, always looking for something that will take them to the next level...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well I for one think most audiophiles--if they were completely honest about it--would admit that they stopped hearing a difference several upgrades ago.
Stopped hearing an improvement, maybe, but not necessarily stopped hearing a difference. Like Mike said, for some people it's about the chase. In audio, that involves trying out different things, talking to people with whom you trade equipment, learning new things, and so on. Sometimes you make a sideways move just because you want to see what a particular sound feels like.

In my case, and I'm no typical audiophile, I can quite honestly say that I've heard improvements with pretty much every component change, except for the Monster power strip. That didn't seem to make much of a difference to the sound, but I bought it mostly for it's connected equipment warranty anyway.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vikesfan1963