Whats else might i need?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by andrewPeterson, Sep 3, 2005.

1. andrewPeterson

andrewPeterson Auditioning

May 6, 2005
    I'm moving to the US shortly and being unfamiliar with both Plasma screens and their connection setup I am trying to understand exactly what i need to order.
    I don't want to buy a cheap screen to then find i need to spend another $800 on bits to get it to work!

Can anyone tell me:

1) Do all plasmas come with some sort of tuner box?.
    2) If i get a plasma with a hdmi connector do i need some sort of converter to connect it up to the reception?. Are these expensive?.

Any pointers appreciated, in particular what is needed to connect them up and get them working.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Almost all plasmas have a tuner box for regular NTSC channels, some have a tuner box for high definition (U.S. ATSC) channels.

External HDTV tuner boxes for over the air broadcasts cost about USD $400. give or take. An antenna for broadcasting stations within 15 miles should be under $50.

If you are going to use cable TV or satellite TV, the plasma's built in HDTV tuner box will not be utilized. YOu would choose an external regular tuner box or an external HDTV tuner box from your cable company.

NTSC channels can also be tuned in using any VCR. This is almost always connected using a composite cable to the yellow jacks (once in awhile an S-video cable) instead of HDMI. Some HDTV cable TV boxes allow an HDMI cable, if not, use a component cable set to red/green/blue jack clusters.

Video hints: