What's new

What's does Showtime Have Against Canada?? (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get this one at all.
I was trying to get some info on the Tyson fight this weekend so I tried to get access to the Showtime website.
When I did, there was a message saying that the website was only intended for people to access from the United States!!
Has anyone ever been blocked like this from a "free" country before?
Any ideas why this would be?
I've never seen anything like this.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Simple: The Canadian market, being only 10% (at most) of the US market, is just not going to generate any worthwhile revenue.

Either that, or the CRTC has something to do with it, although I somehow doubt that.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The problem here is broadcast rights. Showcase is an American specialty channel available (legally) only within the United States. They only own the American broadcast rights for their programming. As such, access to their Web site is granted only to those citizens who are most likely to be current and potential customers of their service.

Showcase is not blocking out just Canadians. They're blocking out all non-US residents.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm sure it's the intellectual property licensing issues. After all, doesn't DirecTV also not do business for Canadians, so Canadians set up post office boxes in the US for billing? I read a lot about this in the DBS forums.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I'd bet that a local Canadian broadcast company has rights for future rebroadcast if not a live one. Showtime only has rights for the U.S. as stated above.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
It's not just the fight info, we can get it here on the local ppv. It just seemed really odd to me. I can view all the HBO info that I want.
Maybe this kind of thinking explains why showtime is an also-ran compared to hbo.
Thanks for those links Gui.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Well, you didn't miss much. 49 seconds. To quote a movie great, "There's a sucker born every minute".......:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks