What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked making vanilla because I was able to make it in the richer French vanilla style and it worked as the perfect accent to other dishes - a scoop of homemade vanilla served with a homemade cake, for instance. For me the appeal was the simple purity of the most basic flavors getting a chance to shine. I never did anything too showy flavor wise with it. My dad made a killer pistachio and an inedible mint chip.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I tried a thyme flavored ice cream once that was surprisingly good, as well as a bacon flavored one that was surprisingly bland.

Speaking of bacon..the other night I was grilling hamburgers for dinner while my wife was on the phone catching up with an old friend. I didn’t want to interrupt the conversation so when the burgers were done, I decided to keep cooking stuff until she was ready to sit down for dinner. First up was a package of bacon - why not a bacon burger? When the bacon finished, she was still chatting and I spotted some potatoes on my shelf, so I quickly peeled and cut a couple into very thin slices, and fried those in the rendered bacon fat. My simple grilled burger dinner quickly turned into fancy bacon burgers with homemade chips - I was very okay with this turn of events.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The super smooth is because, I think, it freezes quicker and has less chance to form crystals. The denser is, I think, because it freezes quicker and the paddle has less chance to whip air into it. I like airier ice cream so I don’t think I’d like this way.

Over 30 years ago Stacy and were in the Price Club and one of those machines with it’s own freezer, we looked at each other and still have it and still make great ice cream with it.
The ice crystals are smaller — too small to be noticeable in the texture. It’s faster to freeze so as the water freezes, there isn’t time for the crystals to grow large.

Another trick from ATK: Transfer the just-churned ice cream to a pre-frozen metal baking dish to ripen. The metal dish conducts heat away faster and over more surface area, so it solidifies fully faster and there’s just that much less chance for large ice crystals to grow.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I grew up with same day preparation and putting it into a hand crank machine. We later switched to one with an electric motor but still same day prep. I've never much cared for what we've made as it's not as creamy as store bought and melts quite fast. It also never helped that *no one* would allow it to properly "ripen" after freezing (you know - the machine stops and people immediately open it and start to scoop - it *needs* at least a half hour before doing that). I've had other home made that's quite good and always wondered what those people did that my family did not. I'd bet it's chilling the mixture. I'd give it a try but don't think we even own a machine any more simply due to me doing the math on production costs vs. our enjoyment. It wasn't paying off plus all anyone ever wanted was vanilla - why bother if that's all you're going to do? I always thought the main point of home made was to get flavors you couldn't easily get at the store.
I grew up with the wood barrel, rock salt, and hand crank ice cream machine. What a bother! :)

I have this machine (albeit the version from 15 years ago), and think it’s great option if you want to make ice cream at home from time to time.

I make ice cream just because. Not for exotic flavors. I do vanilla usually or maybe peppermint or chocolate chip. I do it because I like cooking and and it’s fun / interesting / satisfying to make my own ice cream sometimes. I don’t make it often because it’s a lot of work relative to buying good ice cream. Ice Cream isn’t like cookies where homemade are always and substantially superior to store bought cookies.

But I like to do it for even just vanilla so I do :)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I've posted this YouTuber in this thread before and figured some of you might glean some ideas from these videos.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I only learned last weekend that homemade ice cream is *much* smoother and creamier if you chill the mix to near freezing (but still liquid) before churning it. It’s not a subtle difference: it’s life-changingly obvious.

I learned about that years ago on an episode of "Good Eats". It works amazingly well.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I like to sous vide but so far it’s only been meat of some sort, usually a nice steak. So my first question is how to sous vide steaks at two different doneness levels for the same meal. I’m thinking do both levels at medium rare and when that level is reached remove the medium rare steaks, raise the temp to medium and finish the last steak. Then sear all at the same time. Whaddya think? I’m always happy learn a better way.

Second, has anyone done vegetables in a sous vide? Is it worth doing veggies this way?

Then an observation. Both Sam’s and Costco are selling sous vide kits. The appliance and a container for the water. I’m not going to say sous vide has gone mainstream, but when these two stores are selling sous vide kits, well....

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I like to sous vide but so far it’s only been meat of some sort, usually a nice steak. So my first question is how to sous vide steaks at two different doneness levels for the same meal. I’m thinking do both levels at medium rare and when that level is reached remove the medium rare steaks, raise the temp to medium and finish the last steak. Then sear all at the same time. Whaddya think? I’m always happy learn a better way.

Second, has anyone done vegetables in a sous vide? Is it worth doing veggies this way?

Then an observation. Both Sam’s and Costco are selling sous vide kits. The appliance and a container for the water. I’m not going to say sous vide has gone mainstream, but when these two stores are selling sous vide kits, well....

I have the predicament of my partner likes it more well done than I do, so here is my method. I do the higher temperature steak first (you have to start sufficiently early). When that has been in long enough (I do 1.5 hours) then I change the temperature on the device to my lower temperature and drop in a few handfuls of ice. When the temperature has adjusted to my temp, I add my steak and let it go for 1.5 hours. I leave the first steak in there, it is already more well-done, and the warm water keeps it warm until time for reverse searing and serving. That works well for me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have the predicament of my partner likes it more well done than I do, so here is my method. I do the higher temperature steak first (you have to start sufficiently early). When that has been in long enough (I do 1.5 hours) then I change the temperature on the device to my lower temperature and drop in a few handfuls of ice. When the temperature has adjusted to my temp, I add my steak and let it go for 1.5 hours. I leave the first steak in there, it is already more well-done, and the warm water keeps it warm until time for reverse searing and serving. That works well for me.
I know that you can hold a steak at temp for a while, but that extra 1.5 hours didn’t overcook the first steak? Your first steak will be well done but what would happen if I’m going for medium?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought the whole point of sous vide was that it's impossible to overcook? Food comes up to the set temperature, and does not go beyond that. Seems like you could leave a steak in there for 3 days and it wouldn't be overdone.

If so, the steak Kevin started first at the higher temperature should not continue cooking if he's reduced the temperature for the second steak, as it's already beyond that lower temp.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I know that you can hold a steak at temp for a while, but that extra 1.5 hours didn’t overcook the first steak? Your first steak will be well done but what would happen if I’m going for medium?

The second steak does not overcook because it is being held at a lower temperature. If you go a really long time they say it can get mushy but not in 1.5 hours.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife says this recipe is now “perfect”

Wisconsin Five-Cheese Bake (Mac & Cheese)
★★★★★
Pasta, Sides
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 15 m | Total Time: 35 min | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 12 servings

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni

Dry Mix
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (3 ½ ounces)
1 cup shredded provolone cheese (3 ½ ounces)

Wet Mix
¾ cup ricotta cheese
¾ cup sour cream
¾ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic salt (3:1 salt to garlic)

Topping
3 oz Serrano Ham

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.

In a large bowl, toss together the mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese and Provolone cheese. Remove about ½ cup for topping and set aside.

In a separate bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, sour cream and heavy cream. Season with Italian seasoning and garlic salt.

Pour the ricotta cheese mixture and drained macaroni into the bowl with the cheeses and toss lightly. Do not mix too thoroughly, it's better left messy. Pour into the prepared baking dish.

Cover with strips of Serrano Ham (optional). Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top.

Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 5 to 10 minutes, then turn the oven to broil. Broil for about 5 minutes to brown the top.

Source: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/103088/wisconsin-five-cheese-bake/

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I absolutely can't stand sour cream in anything and can usually taste that horrid whang it has no matter how little is used in anything but baked goods (much like with buttermilk). I've gotten to where I use cottage cheese, processed until smooth, in its place to great effect and, at least for me, much better flavor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cottage cheese would work in this recipe. Or double the ricotta. This is a really flexible mix. And you can use cheap cheese or expensive cheese, depending one your tastes. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I really love a good, baked, mac 'n cheese. That's what I grew up eating and finally convinced my wife to start making them that way a few years back. She'd always do the "quick" variety with velveeta and milk when the kids were at home (and they *liked* that Kraft junk so it'd be made for them if we weren't eating it as well). I like it cooked to the point that the cheese on top starts to get a bit "crusty" (almost burnt looking) with that nice chew. She does one that uses extra sharp cheddar and smoked gouda which is simple but quite good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what’s cooking today: made muffins with “help” from my almost two year olds. “Help” in this case means they shriek with delight and say “mix! Cook!” while I was making a Krusteaz brand mix for Almond Poppy Muffins. The mix is supposed to be for 12 full size muffins but I find that making eight with the same amount of batter yields a better result - a more satisfying size that’s not dried out.

The other day, I tried a new menu item from the local Indian gastropub which offers a contemporary spin with a hint of Italian fusion - a cheeseless pizza with a goat stew and papaya slaw as toppings. I’d never tried goat before. I have to say, this was hands down one of the best things I’ve ever tasted. The crust was sort of halfway between traditional Italian crust and Indian naan bread, with a delightful hint of saltiness that worked well with the toppings. I wish I had taken a picture - I know my description can’t do it justice. Just incredible. It’s only on the menu for a limited time and I’m already dreaming of ordering it again before it disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks