What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hey guys, thought I’d check to see what you guys might suggest for a way to organize recipes. I was about to embark on slowly typing up some recipes as I started to really get into cooking during the pandemic. Since I use Apple products, iPhones, iPads and Macs, I was going to use the Pages word processor app and write them up and save them in a folder on the cloud.

But a friend suggested using one of the recipe apps. I looked and found a couple, Cook’n and Recipe Box. I’m sure there are others. Just curious what you guys might be using, if you are. Thanks!

Paprika

Bought it two years ago. Have gotten all my personal recipes into it. And now add all new recipes to it. I love its sync across all my devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For the ones we use all the time - typed in a standard document format on the computer and hand written in a custom recipe book.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave! I just had a look at Paprika in the App Store. And I skimmed over a review. Looks quite comprehensive in functionality. I would never have thought about how an app like this can help you with the grocery list and meal planning. And I like how it can import or take recipes from websites as well as allows you to import or manually type in your own recipes.

I really like the convenience of using a mobile device to store and access recipes. There’s a part of me that likes the idea of hand written recipes on paper or placed in a book as Howie is saying. They can never get lost if the device dies or is lost in the cloud. But I imagine that now a cloud back-up on an app like this might be a lot more safe.

Is the $5.00 charge a one time Charge? I ask because there is an art app that I use that was similarly $5, then upon a change to a new improved version, I had to repay for it.

Thanks again for the suggestion! I may just buy it and try it, it’s not that expensive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The web importer works really well. I've been using it more recently.

It's a purchased app, not subscription, as of the version I bought two years ago. I had to buy separate copies for mobile and desktop. But I'm ok paying for good software to help enable it to keep going.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
FWIW - the desktop version has a "trial" edition that allows up to 50 recipes and no cloud storage option. Everything else is supposed to work so it's a very good way to test it and see if it's what you want and/or need. Purchase of a license provides a code to unlock the trial version so you wouldn't lose anything already in the program. I really don't have much use for the majority of its options, plus we don't add many new recipes any more, so likely won't give it a try but it *does* sound pretty good.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have a piece of salmon fillet - too small for a main course. I generally use this up with a pasta dish. Tonight I'm thinking of using it with capers/onions/yellow squash, saute with EVO, and adding a splash of lime juice. Any thoughts? How about a few green olives in the mix?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Go for it!

The capers and the olives have a similar flavor profile; I personally love both but some people might feel that both together is overkill. I’m not one of them.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d check to see what you guys might suggest for a way to organize recipes. I was about to embark on slowly typing up some recipes as I started to really get into cooking during the pandemic. Since I use Apple products, iPhones, iPads and Macs, I was going to use the Pages word processor app and write them up and save them in a folder on the cloud.

But a friend suggested using one of the recipe apps. I looked and found a couple, Cook’n and Recipe Box. I’m sure there are others. Just curious what you guys might be using, if you are. Thanks!
I LOVE Recipe Box! I like that it has an option to add notes, etc., a favorites tab, and pictures!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Had some Beyond burgers in the freezer weeks ago. Got those on sale and wanted to use one with some rice for something quick and simple. Made buttered rice with salt pepper. sawtayed! some onions with no stick spray. put aside. put on beyond burger. chopped it in pieces of all sizes. Had an idea!! Try a little piece with soy sauce for test and then dumped soy sauce on the rest! hee hee! beyonds are just so great with soy sauce. glad I tried that. added onions and stirred a bit. put on top of rice. covered with montarrey jack cheese. Short nuke job to melt the cheese. it was amazing! made the same thing about a week later and did a quick fried rice job on the rice but everything else the same. perfectionOHtastic!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll be making the above again tonight. Can't wait! Can't think of anything to add to it. Minimal is good. Might chop onions finely to cook and mix with the beyond burger. Then cook up some more larger onion pieces to go on top. NOt sure I want all that onion because of the noisy night later. haha

Sad newz. my bilo is closing down so no more Beyond brats, meatballs, or pure farmland meatballs. Will miss those. Relying on walmart now for meatlesses. they have beyond sausage patties now. Those are amazing. I lick the fry pan ofter those cook. that's how good those are. They are supposed to expand their beyond choices. They usually have the burgers and impossible non-burger "meat" also.

adding after eating. made it just that way. I tell ya, soy sauce does something magical to these beyonds. If I got this in a restaurant I'd be happy. just delicious! needs no other spices besides s&p. But It would be fun to experimentations.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need to check if Impossible Burger has put the “ground beef” unto grocery store distribution. I was wanting to look for that in the Before Times. But I’ve not had an IB in 2020, and forgot about looking for the grocery options.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've seen Impossible Burger in stores around here, both in 8 oz. patties or 12 oz. packages of ground "meat". Pretty expensive, though ($10 per package, I think). I had a $1 off coupon and that still didn't hook me to try it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's at the Walmart here but listed as "Impossible Burger" even though it's obviously not patties:
1610724429123.png

Currently $6.47/12oz. on a "rollback" (makes it ~$8.50/lb w/ground beef ~$5.25/lb) with an $8.95/12oz. regular price- I'd purchase one at that lower price to try the product but doubt I'd add it as a regular purchase unless it drops a bit more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wegmans carries it, if I want to try it. $8/12 oz. Expensive compared to normal ground beef. But I've spent more for ingredients when trying new recipes.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Cream of Celery Soup does not sound exciting, but I had an extra bunch of celery I knew would go bad before I could use it so I tried an America's Test Kitchen recipe and I loved it. Rich celery flavor with just a small amount of butter and cream. I pureed it in the blender for a full 2 minutes (as directed) and it was silky smooth. Garnished with celery leaves, celery seed and black pepper. It was luxurious and who thought you could say that about celery.

PXL_20210116_003519400.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I had a tomato that has started to sprout! I looked this up amd am still researching, I guess I won’t eat this one and maybe try to plant it.

Have you guys seen this before? I want to see if I can plant this and make some of my own vine tomatoes.

D4007D9C-4E61-4A26-B761-8E5B9B9D08DA.jpeg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I imagine that's how many grow tomatoes. Just toss a tomato in the ground and grow a new plant. Definitely the way they did it in the old days, before seeds-by-mail or tomato plants from a nursery.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks