What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I made potato rolls to use as hamburger buns. They came out very tasty. Apparently, potato is more efficient than flour at retaining moisture, so even the next day they are really good. ATK recipe.

PXL_20201113_003446498.jpg

Mark Booth

Premium
Went grocery shopping this morning with plans to get most of the fixin's for Thanksgiving. A monkey wrench was thrown in my plan when I discovered that the grocery store was completely out of Butterball turkeys (just 1 day after they went on sale) with no more expected. I turned my attention to their store brand turkeys and the smallest one they had was 17.5 lbs. Most of them were 22 lbs and up. I checked with the meat department and he said they didn't expect any other smaller birds before Thanksgiving.

I called a different store and was told they had some store brand turkeys that were under 10 lbs and some that were 18 lbs and up, but they were sold out on all weights in between.

Finally (after first calling a third store) I was able to get a store brand bird at 14.1 lbs. They held it for me and when I picked it up I checked the display case and they had just 4 turkey's left and they were all over 17 lbs.

Thanks to the virus, fewer large family gatherings. Thus, larger demand for 10-15 lb birds.

If you don't have your turkey yet, you might not want to wait until the weekend. Conditions may vary by area.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Good to know, Mark.

So far I haven’t seen shortages at my local market but I’ve decided not to stress about it. If I can only get a turkey that’s too small, I’ll make something else to go with it. If I can only get one that’s too large, I’ll turn the leftovers into a pot pie filling and freeze that for future meals. In the past I used to really fuss over getting all the details just right and for the past couple years injuries and illnesses have required a more flexible approach so in many ways that all seemed like good practice for this year.

You guys should’ve been around the year that I made empanadas stuffed with shredded turkey and gravy, that was pretty neat.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Cook a big one. Plenty of leftovers.

My mother always cooks a 20+ pounder for 3-4 people, and sends home big boxes of leftovers.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No turkey here - no one in our family likes them. Well... my wife's favorite uncle insists on bringing one every year (not this year - we're all staying home) and practically forces me into trying whatever "new" method he's used saying "You'll love this!" I just can't make the man understand I like *only* smoked turkey - and he's been doing this for ~40 years with me telling him every year "If you *smoke* one I'll give it a try - otherwise you can keep it."

We go for a shank portion ham and cook it slooooow overnight. Falls apart when you touch it. Addictive stuff (and I'm not much of a pork eater either with these slow cooked hams being just about the only "pure" pork product I'll eat - yes, I love pork sausage patties... and bacon...).

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought a bone-in Turkey breast last week, to avoid dealing with possible shortages. News has been discussing shortages of small turkeys the past month. Just two of us, and I made a snap decision to go with the breast over a roast chicken

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just stopped at Walmart and saw lots of turkeys of all sizes. Fresh ones ran larger, but they had quite a variety of sizes in frozen. My store had them in a couple different places, including one of those vertical freezers with doors on the endcap, so look around if you don't find what you want in the usual places.

Mark Booth

Premium
I smoke our Thanksgiving turkey on my grill rotisserie (which has a built-in smoker box). I've been doing it this way since getting the Weber grill (11 years or so). Best tasting turkey we've ever had. No restaurant or store-prepared turkey has ever come close. The rotisserie keeps the breast meat super moist.

Our freezer is full so I want minimal leftovers. As it is, we won't eat the leftover turkey from a 14 lb bird within a week (the maximum we'll hold cooked turkey in the fridge before tossing the rest). I would have preferred an 11-12 lb bird but no luck finding one of those. Under 10 lbs would have been too small because it would cook too quickly to absorb the smoke.

Mark

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you're looking for gift ideas for the chef in your life (or for someone to give you, as the chef in their life), I recommend the copper diffuser plate from The Grommet. I bought one a year ago at the recommendation of a friend, and it's a game changer. $80 played saved me $1000+ of not buying a new stove with lower output burners.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanksgiving grocery shopping done. (Plenty of turkeys today, but buying last week kept me out if today’s scrum. :) )

Hoping I’ve got enough food now to stay out of the grocery store for two weeks.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Pecan Pie. After fully cooling, I tried serving and found it wasn’t cooked, still wet. It’s back in the oven for trying to finish the bake. Not sure what’s wrong, but I think it’s salvagable.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How long did you let it rest? I usually make mine the night before it’s due to be served because of the extended cooling time. Done or not, it looks great.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
i grew up near Louisville, so I know it as Derby Pie. But I’ve since swapped pecans for walnuts, and now use Hershey Special Dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips (which also helps balance against sweeter pecans). Also, no bourbon in my pie. :)

The his is close to my family recipe

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
About to make the pecan pie here! I basically start with the recipe on the light corn syrup bottle, but I make a few adjustments: I cut the amount of granulated sugar in half, and I replace half of the corn syrup with maple syrup that’s been slowly reduced to a thicker consistency. Instead of whole pecans, I chop them up finely by hand and make sure all of the fine nut dust gets incorporated into the mix with the pieces. The result is a pie that’s not strictly traditional and a little less gooey, but every bite of the filling is infused with pecan flavor and has a bit of a candied nut texture. I’m not really a baker but this is the one thing I do that consistently seems to work out. I figure every home cook should have at least one dessert up their sleeve and this is mine.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's interesting that you swapped walnuts for pecans. My wife tried that a couple of years back (we got a huge bag of chopped walnuts from Sams for much less than pecans that year) and we really liked it. Since the recipe I have makes 2 pies we'll do 1 with pecans and 1 with walnuts. We use "Best Choice Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips" (a kind of store brand - almost a generic):
1606403498538.png

I think the bag design has changed - again - but... the chips are real chocolate and have a dark chocolate type flavor. It's one of the best chocolate chips we've tasted. The only brand we've found that's better is Ghirardelli, which is almost twice as expensive.

We also do not use bourbon as it's never been in the recipe. It's just as well as I do not like the taste of bourbon. I got the recipe from our pastor's wife when I was 11 or 12. She'd brought it to a church pot-luck and I liked it so much I asked for the recipe. She said "Come by next week and I'll give it to you." which was a rare thing (she wasn't the type to share her recipes - she had a baked bean one that I was never able to get). I rode over on my bicycle the next morning, she handed me her cookbook, open to the recipe, a piece of paper, and a pencil, and sat me at the kitchen table to make my copy. That was over 50 years ago and mom still has that hand written copy in her cookbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyPandy