Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: Because you forgot to cook it!

CE386870-8053-44F5-9CB0-ECEBC29CA50C.jpeg
6CFA7D43-F55C-41AA-A4BB-598F3C4AA272.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Honestly? I'm not much of a fan of roasted/whole type potatoes with chicken. I love potatoes fixed that way - just not so much as a side for chicken. I chalk that up to mom *always* making mashed potatoes with chicken unless it was a chicken and rice casserole. In spite of that, my wife regularly roasts "baby potatoes" to go with lemon chicken.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I get it, mashed is probably more of a favorite, but every now and then a one pan meal can be a godsend.

This time, I had small potatoes and cut them in half, and placed the flesh side down on the pan. Between the olive oil and rendered chicken fat, they had wonderful crunch and flavor on the outside, and were soft and creamy on the inside. I was surprised how good they were. Doing that again!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just purchased one of these for my wife for Christmas:
1604100714692.png

It's the Kitchenaid "lift bowl" style "Professional" 5qt., 525 watt, mixer with 5qt and 3qt bowls and extra attachments (regular and mini whisks). She's had the 4qt lift bowl model for some time and has really been lusting after this larger one. The box is huge - I had trouble finding somewhere to hide it!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just purchased one of these for my wife for Christmas:

It's the Kitchenaid "lift bowl" style "Professional" 5qt., 525 watt, mixer with 5qt and 3qt bowls and extra attachments (regular and mini whisks). She's had the 4qt lift bowl model for some time and has really been lusting after this larger one. The box is huge - I had trouble finding somewhere to hide it!
I think that’s the one I’ve got. Wish I’d had one 20 years ago. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My experience years ago was homemade sauce was hours and hours of boiling down tomatoes and red peppers. This was a 45 minute sauce from scratch. And it’s good. The downside is it has a lot of butter, so is high calorie (especially compared to jar sauce.)

Ingredients
7080DA45-808A-41AC-B71A-269950A45F6D.jpeg

Process
59B45100-A491-4798-98EE-38E3C1D8A3E5.jpeg

Result
D288918F-0423-4324-ABBE-C0C84F55DBF8.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They are awesome pieces of kitchen equipment. If you make bread, my wife does regularly, these are a huge help. She uses hers several times a week for various baking projects.

She's been after me for some time to get her one of the bowl scraper paddles but the reviews on them just aren't that good. Lots of comments about them falling apart. I want the pasta maker attachment. One of her aunts has an attachment that de-seeds products - tomatoes, berries, etc. for canning or making juice. I'd like one of those too as we make blackberry cobbler regularly and remove the seeds. It's a somewhat laborious process to do manually (you run the cooked berries through a wire sieve using a wooden spoon).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They are awesome pieces of kitchen equipment. If you make bread, my wife does regularly, these are a huge help. She uses hers several times a week for various baking projects.

She's been after me for some time to get her one of the bowl scraper paddles but the reviews on them just aren't that good. Lots of comments about them falling apart. I want the pasta maker attachment. One of her aunts has an attachment that de-seeds products - tomatoes, berries, etc. for canning or making juice. I'd like one of those too as we make blackberry cobbler regularly and remove the seeds. It's a somewhat laborious process to do manually (you run the cooked berries through a wire sieve using a wooden spoon).
What I’ve read is they increase friction, doing load to the motor, heating it more. I think KitchenAids position is they’re not recommended.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I bought a couple cans of tomatoes intending to do this same recipe some time this week. They had some Cento brand marzano tomatoes for $3/can, but I figured I'd go with the $1 cans for the recipe.

My experience years ago was homemade sauce was hours and hours of boiling down tomatoes and red peppers. This was a 45 minute sauce from scratch. And it’s good. The downside is it has a lot of butter, so is high calorie (especially compared to jar sauce.)

Ingredients
View attachment 81207

Process
View attachment 81209

Result
View attachment 81208

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What I’ve read is they increase friction, doing load to the motor, heating it more. I think KitchenAids position is they’re not recommended.
KitchenAid does offer one for the tilt head mixers but not the bowl-lift variety. That's what's kept one out of the house as hers is a bowl-lift.

I just don't get the attraction. It's not that hard to stop the mixer, drop the bowl, and scrape the side yourself if needed. From my observations, it's rarely needed so why chance damage to the motor or transmission.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For a stocking stuffer, you could consider a mixer scraper. I got one from King Arthur flour. It didn’t change my life, but it’s a interesting tool.
image.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Today is pulled pork day, for no particular reason other than that the market had that particular cut of boneless pork that makes it easy to do in a slow cooker. Feels like a perfect day for a “set it and forget it” type meal.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I smoked pork ribs in the backyard yesterday, using oak chips. I was very pleased with how they turned out. I served them with baked yams (sweet potatoes), cornbread, braised endive and pinto beans simmered with bacon, with pumpkin cupcakes for dessert.

I also carved a pumpkin for the first time in probably 30 years. Despite the fact that it is absolutely simple and basic, when I lit the candle inside, I was totally charmed by it.

I hope everyone found something to enjoy this Halloween, despite the unusual times we find ourselves in. We also had a film festival and through the day we watched Ghostbusters, Little Shop of Horrors and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (That is one nice thing about doing low and slow food like ribs and beans - plenty of time to watch a movie or two while they are cooking.) It turned out to be a fun day.

PXL_20201031_3.JPG

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
For a stocking stuffer, you could consider a mixer scraper. I got one from King Arthur flour. It didn’t change my life, but it’s a interesting tool.
View attachment 81302

For me, this silicone spatula/spoon changed my kitchen existence!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ahnrHvcLL._SY450_.jpg

The handle is stiff but the end is bendy and cleans bowls and pans out amazingly smooth so it's a spatula but then it's shaped like a spoon so it kind of multitasks.

YMMV

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a similar affection for the GiR Spatula (bought on recommendation of the Wirecutter). I use it primarily as a turner, but love what it does with cleaning out batter from a bowl, and getting all the eggs moved around when making scrambled eggs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I smoked pork ribs in the backyard yesterday, using oak chips. I was very pleased with how they turned out. I served them with baked yams (sweet potatoes), cornbread, braised endive and pinto beans simmered with bacon, with pumpkin cupcakes for dessert.

I also carved a pumpkin for the first time in probably 30 years. Despite the fact that it is absolutely simple and basic, when I lit the candle inside, I was totally charmed by it.

I hope everyone found something to enjoy this Halloween, despite the unusual times we find ourselves in. We also had a film festival and through the day we watched Ghostbusters, Little Shop of Horrors and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (That is one nice thing about doing low and slow food like ribs and beans - plenty of time to watch a movie or two while they are cooking.) It turned out to be a fun day.

View attachment 81304

That looks outstanding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks