What's cooking?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I see brownies with icing (especially fudge) or "disappearing" marshmellows, or caramel, or pecans, or ...

But powdered sugar topping is not a thing I've ever thought of as a defining brownie experience :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got a recipe for two-tone brownies. In the middle is a layer of cream cheese sweetened with sugar, I think some vanilla too, and an egg. It’s fantastic.

Reactions: DaveF

questrider

Premium
Real Name
Brian
Not a fan of confectioners sugar as it's too sweet and I don't like the texture. And the powder does get everywhere. Frosting on brownies for me. :thumbs-up-smiley:

https://tarateaspoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/square-frosted-brownies.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
I think the confectioner's sugar just adds a complementary bit of flavor to the deep chocolatey goodness of the brownie.

But its got to be just a light dusting. Some of the images I found on the internet are just way too much--kinda like a powdered sugar donut. Like this:

You CAN'T BREATHE while eating one of those or it'll be like a winter squall!! :laugh:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've got a glass of the Fish Eye sauvignon blanc right here as I prepare a meal of pork with paprika, mushrooms, and sour cream. Sort of a lazy man's pork based goulash.

Fred Meyer has boneless 1/2 pork loins on sale for $1.47 a pound, which is a completely ridiculous price.

Australia way over planted sauvignon blanc years ago so some pretty good Sav Blanc gets dumped onto the box wine market. That's $12US for 3 liters.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anyone done their own dry aging of a steak or whole cut? They make these dry aging bags that allows the user to dry age in your own refrigerator without stinking the place up. You need a vacuum sealer (though the bag is not totally evacuated of air). There’s these guys that go by Guga foods (I think) or Sous Vide Everything. Their fun to watch and they cover dry aging.

I figure that someday we’ll be able to find cuts of meat we want and then that’ll be the time to try it. Here’s a link to some dry aging bags: Amazon product

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My dad went through a phase where he was into doing this. If you want to try it without putting a lot of effort into it, you can try dry aging your steak or roast in the fridge overnight. Just remove the meat from its packaging, pat dry with paper towels until there’s no surface moisture left, and place back into the fridge unwrapped and leave it like that overnight. It’ll give you a little feel for the process and how it affects taste without drastically changing everything.

On a similar note, if you ever want really crisp skin on a whole roasted chicken, do the same thing with the bird the night before, and put a ludicrous amount of salt on the skin. Pat dry when it comes out, roast as you normally would, and enjoy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I do the dry brine with Turkey. Use a mixture of salt and baking powder.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Super happy with this recipe. I goofed up, buying raw sausage instead of pre-cooked, which added extra work. But still, I did the sausage variant it worked well. I think it's a great dish relative to the effort required. My wife was ok with it, but didn't love it. But I'm the cook, so too bad. :) I will try this in the future and see if I can find a variant that makes us both happy.

You add ingredients to large skillet with water, bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes, then let sit for 10 minutes, and serve.

IMG_4493.jpeg IMG_4492.jpeg IMG_4494.jpeg IMG_4495.jpeg IMG_4496.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The next time you make that dish be sure to use fire roasted diced tomatoes. It absolutely makes a difference. Maybe throw in some cubes of mozzarella just before serving. That's very similar to a "heart healthy" dish we make.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The next time you make that dish be sure to use fire roasted diced tomatoes. It absolutely makes a difference. Maybe throw in some cubes of mozzarella just before serving. That's very similar to a "heart healthy" dish we make.
Recipe called for the tomatoes but I couldn’t find them at the grocery store.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Recipe called for the tomatoes but I couldn’t find them at the grocery store.
They *can* be hard to find. I've resorted to ordering them by the case from Amazon. We use them quite a bit and the price there was just as good as at the grocery without the hassle.

Of course, they're OOS right now... and camelcamelcamel shows stupidly high prices for MP vendors over the past 6 months! Makes me glad I accidentally purchased a 2nd case before realizing the 1st hadn't been used!

Amazon normally sells the case for ~$12 and subscribe and save takes it down to ~$10/case.

Amazon product

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
DaveF - I believe I have seen you mention America's Test Kitchen, they have an assortment of what they call skillet pasta recipes where everything is added to the skillet, including a measured amount of water to cook the pasta in its own sauce. I have had good luck with the ones I have made. (It is a pay site, however, but I thought I would mention it.)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777