What's cooking?

DaveF

Real Name
Dave

solid recommenrations. I have maybe half the specific items on the list. My one caveat: All-Clad handles aren’t great. America’s Test Kitchen loves them. I find them tolerable. My wife hates them. I suggest before buying tri-ply cookware, go to a store to handle them. There are good tri-ply options with full, round handles if you don’t like All-Clad design.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that link. I imagined one day replacing my pots and pans with a nice clean designed set. Those All-Clads look very nice. But good to know about the handles. I had an older set of Revere Ware from my parents that I still use. I no longer want to use non-stick. I only use stainless steel. The handles on those All Clads are an unusual design.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
A cast iron pan is also on my list. And I want to add a cast iron wok.

I worry about non stick pans. Maybe the new ones are better, but I worry about the coatings coming apart and into the food.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We don't like non-stick and haven't use it for more than 20 years. Supposedly, the newer non-stick pans are safe, as long as they're not heated to too high a temperature, and any flakes pass through the body safely, but we still don't trust them.

ChristopherG

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
i haven’t done that. My wife only likes filet, so that’s the only steak I cook at home.
My wife is the same way, but I occasionally manage to squeeze in a NY strip or ribeye on occasions such as father's day or my b-day. She always enjoys them, but still....

Reactions: DaveF

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife prefers the NY strip and I prefer the ribeye. My solution is usually to make one of each and then have steak sandwiches on toasted garlic bread with any leftovers.

Reactions: ChristopherG

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tried homemade brownies yesterday. They’re decadent. :) Key is the 6 oz of quality baking chocolate.

View attachment 75574 View attachment 75575
Those look just like what I grew up eating - nice and moist inside but not cake like (I never understood why you'd want a brownie to have a cake like texture) with a very thin, crispy, crust. It's the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook recipe (the classic 50s edition) that I used after I moved away. My wife doesn't like them and makes them with a box mix (Pillsbury I think - I prefer the Ghiradelli box ones if we're going that direction). I need to make a batch for myself and prove to the grandkids how good *real* brownies are.

Mom always used Baker's Baking Chocolate (me too as back then that's all there was - it really does a good job).

**EDITED to correct cookbook name! I do that all the time with those two... I don't know why as I vastly prefer the BH&G over the BC one.**

Last edited:

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
A friend recommended this recipe. It's in my queue to try:

The recipe I made above is from The America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No... they do not... ;) (and "true" brownies are also unadulterated by additions like nuts, caramel, extra chocolate bits, icing, etc.)

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never understood putting confectioners sugar on top of anything. IMO, all it serves is to make a mess. If there's a choice in a store or bakery between the same item with or without powder all over it, I take the one without.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I've never understood putting confectioners sugar on top of anything. IMO, all it serves is to make a mess. If there's a choice in a store or bakery between the same item with or without powder all over it, I take the one without.
Elephant Ears and Funnel Cakes. :)

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
uhm...what? That’s not a thing anyone does. And I’ve had a lot of brownies from a lot of places. :)
I've seen people do it using a doily to make a pattern on top so it looks special for a gathering/pot luck but never to just have at home and eat. Even then I see more frosting on them than anything else - and I don't get that either. You put frosting on cake.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryMeyer