What's cooking?

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
When the steak is frozen, how much time do you add?
General rule is: Increase sous vide cook time by 50% for frozen foods.

So if a steak is 30 minutes normally, make it 45 minutes from the freezer.

You can still add oil, seasonings, herbs/aromatics like usual before going in the pot.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
General rule is: Increase sous vide cook time by 50% for frozen foods.

So if a steak is 30 minutes normally, make it 45 minutes from the freezer.

You can still add oil, seasonings, herbs/aromatics like usual before going in the pot.
Well, now that I’ve vacuum sealed the steaks, that’s a little tricky. Perhaps I can cut open the bag if the bag is big enough and re-vacuum.

When you sear the steak of the sous vide, do you find it necessary to hold the steak on the sides to sear them?

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Well, now that I’ve vacuum sealed the steaks, that’s a little tricky. Perhaps I can cut open the bag if the bag is big enough and re-vacuum.

When you sear the steak of the sous vide, do you find it necessary to hold the steak on the sides to sear them?
Add seasoning before vacuum sealing and freezing. I believe that's what people do who prep like that for later cooks.

I don't sear the sides, but that's recommended.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
You guys aren't hearing what I'm saying. When I want a steak I want it in 20 minutes and cooked to my done-ness level. I ain't about to fuss around with it for 12 hours and then have to sear it anyway =p You can have all your flavor profiles and fancy shmancy cook gear, imma webber it up =)

Reactions: Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, the closest I've come to the sous vide is the reverse sear method, and in some ways that's still too long a process for me.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
You guys aren't hearing what I'm saying. When I want a steak I want it in 20 minutes and cooked to my done-ness level. I ain't about to fuss around with it for 12 hours and then have to sear it anyway =p You can have all your flavor profiles and fancy shmancy cook gear, imma webber it up =)
See, you can’t denigrate “fancy shmancy cook gear” and then admit you have a Weber. That’s like saying a $100 blu-ray player is too much for a movie, and then saying you prefer to use your $1000 oppo. :D

Unless you’re really OG Weber. :)

But yeah, no worries. :) Sous vide is a fine tool, but you kinda gotta to be into cooking itself, not just as a means to food. Or enjoy the gear side of cooking.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not opposed to sous vide per se but I’ve yet to be sold on why it’s something that would be helpful to me personally, and that’s okay too.

When I want a steak, I cook it in my cast iron, and it comes out just how I like it each time. I don’t see the need to add extra steps when what I’m doing is already working and done in minutes.

I don’t mean to sound snobbish about it. It just seems like for steak, it takes one of the simplest things to cook and turns it into something more complicated.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Kevin Hewell

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
This! There is no way in hell I'm paying lots of money when I already have perfection.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
This! There is no way in hell I'm paying lots of money when I already have perfection.
There's a misconception over the cost: Good grills are "paying lots of money". Sous Vide is cheap. I'm saying this from experience: $800 Weber grill vs $100 sous vide. That's like the cost of my grill rotisserie attachment, which I've used less than my sous vide.

I don't care if folks aren't interested in buying into it. But I don't want to leave basic misapprehensions out there.

Here's a nice overview of Sous Vide steak for anyone still curious to learn more.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I’m not opposed to sous vide per se but I’ve yet to be sold on why it’s something that would be helpful to me personally, and that’s okay too.

When I want a steak, I cook it in my cast iron, and it comes out just how I like it each time. I don’t see the need to add extra steps when what I’m doing is already working and done in minutes.

I don’t mean to sound snobbish about it. It just seems like for steak, it takes one of the simplest things to cook and turns it into something more complicated.
I'm repeating myself, but it's about an alternate way of cooking, bringing new options to the results. It's more time, but it's actually easier in some ways. The steak doesn't come out overcooked. There's no missing the temperature, there's no getting distracted and letting it go too long. There's no "I wanted medium rare but I was busy dealing with the corn and now I've got medium well" steaks.

Also: it's not just steaks. Grill your steaks. Grilling or pan-bake/sear tenderloin is simplicity with a little practice.

Sous Vide salmon: that's the stuff! Best fish I've made.

Sous Video pork chops straight from the freezer with a sear at the end. Nice option to have.

Sous Video soft-cooked eggs. Not my thing (tried it once) but if you're into soft cooked or poached eggs, easy peasy.

For me it's another tool, like the InstantPot. It has its uses and brings variety and options to cooking. It adds recipes and techniques to explore. I'm far from a great or expert amateur chef. But I will spend a day making bolognese sauce. So the idea of doing a sous video an hour before final cook doesn't phase me.

But now, I need to get started on my creme brulee, because that needs about an hour to make and then three hours chilling in the fridge so we can enjoy it tonight! :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm repeating myself, but it's about an alternate way of cooking, bringing new options to the results. It's more time, but it's actually easier in some ways. The steak doesn't come out overcooked. There's no missing the temperature, there's no getting distracted and letting it go too long. There's no "I wanted medium rare but I was busy dealing with the corn and now I've got medium well" steaks.
This is exactly why I like sous vide. You get the exact doneness of the meat that you want. We did a rump roast a while back and all of the interior had a nice medium rare glow and it was cheap and tender. We haven’t done fish yet.

Dave, when you do fish do you still pan sear it? Have found a good sous vide cookbook?

Reactions: Brian L and DaveF

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
This is exactly why I like sous vide. You get the exact doneness of the meat that you want. We did a rump roast a while back and all of the interior had a nice medium rare glow and it was cheap and tender. We haven’t done fish yet.

Dave, when you do fish do you still pan sear it? Have found a good sous vide cookbook?
Salmon filet, yes, I did a short sear on the skin.

I haven't bought a sous vide cookbook. So far, I do just the basics, and the Anova app's cook guides are all I need. And the Anova Culinary website has has lots of recipes.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Without wanting to sound snobby, because I think anything that makes someone happy to be in the kitchen is a good thing, but it’s not the right gadget for me personally - for me I think it sounds like it would wind up being a solution in search of a problem.

Brian L

Cinematographer
Premium
Some may be missing the idea that sous vide or even reverse sear, which is really what sous vide is, is really only beneficial for steaks that are well over 1" thick. For a thinner steak there is no benefit.

But take a 1 1/2" to 2" strip or tenderloin, and you can get perfect top to bottom doneness with no grey bands of over cooked meat. I don't see how that is possible with a thick cut using direct heat on a grill or a frying pan.

Some may consider that degree of precision overrated, but for me, a perfect top to bottom medium rare, thick hunk of beef with a beautiful sear was the holy grail, and I was never able to pull it off using traditional methods.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
What are your favorite / recommended kitchen purchases, particularly little things that once you got them, you wonder why it too, you so long?

1) I began noticing that on cooking shows, they're always using towels: wipe off hands when handling slipper meats; quick clean ups; pot holders. So I bought a bundle. And they're so useful!
Amazon product
2) SmallPinch Bowl Set. Have some little prep bowls, under a 1/4 cup down to literal pinch bowls are great to have handy during prep or other random things. The set I have is apparently discontinued but there are many options
Amazon product
3) Diffuser plate. My stove’s lowest setting for the large burners is still too hot for a long simmer or slowly cooking a thick grilled cheese. A diffuser plate fixes that. Also, handy for defrosting things.

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
My reason for buying a weber is build quality, zero to do with flavor differences. I've had cheaper grills, they don't last as long but the taste is the same and cook what I want in a reasonable and adjustable amount of time to get the done ness I can count on. That's all I'm saying.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My reason for buying a weber is build quality, zero to do with flavor differences. I've had cheaper grills, they don't last as long but the taste is the same and cook what I want in a reasonable and adjustable amount of time to get the done ness I can count on. That's all I'm saying.
Yes, but I think you said a sous vide was too expensive and Dave was just pointing out you are willing to spend some big bucks for things you like.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For kitchen gadgets, I love this:

Amazon product
It was a gift and I was skeptical that the plastic doodad could actually do anything to garlic. It’s since become a favorite tool. I love garlic in my cooking but mincing by hand or using an old fashioned garlic press is a lot of effort for a small quantity. With this, I can easily have a bunch of fresh garlic ready at the start of meal prep.

Reactions: DaveF and Malcolm R

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Along those lines, I turned an unused blade coffee grinder into my spice grinder. Very handy to have something for that task around. Can also be used for turning granulated sugar into superfine sugar.

KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, 3 oz / 85 g, Black
Amazon product
This looks like a new version
Amazon product

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nchan021290