Real Name
Dave
Made some ice cream :)
IMG_3558.jpeg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
To oatmeal, before cooking, I add cinnamon, clove, ginger, raisins, chopped apple, and vanilla. After cooking I slice a banana on top and add almond milk.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d be delighted with any variety of corn bread at the moment - I’ll take any leftovers that aren’t wanted :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I prefer combread with just a bit of sugar (usually 1/4 cup per pan) while my wife prefers no sugar. But for me it comes down to just what I'm eating with that cornbread or using it for. If I'm having it with chili or in a glass of milk I want it just a bit sweet. If with white beans or in southern chicken and dressing I want it without sugar. I also don't make it with 100% corn meal but a 75/25 mix of corn meal and plain flour (not self-rising) most of the time. I'll increase the flour to 50% when I want a "fluffier" product and, often, if I'm planning on having cornbread and milk.

I used to make it with sugar all the time and used that in my dressing. A 13x9 casserole of dressing has 1 pan of cornbread in it. My mother-in-law could taste that little bit of sugar in my dressing! Keep in mind that, in addition to a pan of cornbread, there are 10-12 pieces of white bread, eggs, sage, black pepper, salt, chicken broth, onion, celery, cream of chicken soup, and shredded chicken in the dish. Yet she could still taste that sugar!

What?!? You've never had cornbread and milk? That's a true Southern "dessert." It's best with cornbread that's a bit crunchy on bottom but it all works. Just crumble a slice of warm cornbread in a glass and pour in cold milk to a level even with the top of the cornbread. Eat it with a spoon. If you're brave, or a rebel, use buttermilk instead of "sweet" milk (I absolutely detest buttermilk - it's good only for cooking - not drinking). My wife doesn't like cornbread and milk but my grandkids do. :)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I tend to prefer sweet cornbread. But I was just going by the recipe since it had been a while since I cooked this one and didn’t want to deviate. But it would be easy to have put in some brown sugar to sweeten it up.

I like it. It’s a nice straight forward cornbread.

i need to test my oven. Doing this one, my analog temp gauge was reading very low. Might be the old thermometer. My digital gauge was showing low, but not as low.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Did you know you can make your own brown sugar for less than store bought? And you don't have to worry about it getting hard as you make what you need when you need it. All you need is white sugar and molasses (not sorghum molasses - it's a different, but similar, product with a slightly bitter sweet flavor).

Light brown sugar: Combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of molasses in a mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until completely mixed.

Dark brown sugar: Combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of molasses in a mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until completely mixed.

Molasses is a byproduct of making white sugar, essentially stuff that's removed in the crystalization process to make the sugar white. When you make brown sugar yourself you're doing exactly what the manufacturers are doing to make it to sell in stores - adding the molasses back in - only for less money.

The side benefit, other than saving a bit of money, is molasses is absolutely wonderful on fresh hot buttered biscuits.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I prefer combread with just a bit of sugar (usually 1/4 cup per pan) while my wife prefers no sugar. But for me it comes down to just what I'm eating with that cornbread or using it for. If I'm having it with chili or in a glass of milk I want it just a bit sweet. If with white beans or in southern chicken and dressing I want it without sugar. I also don't make it with 100% corn meal but a 75/25 mix of corn meal and plain flour (not self-rising) most of the time. I'll increase the flour to 50% when I want a "fluffier" product and, often, if I'm planning on having cornbread and milk.
Thats the “back of the box” recipe I’ve often used. Can’t go wrong with it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thats the “back of the box” recipe I’ve often used. Can’t go wrong with it.
Mine is from the classic Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. We modify it depending on the situation. I grew up with that cookbook - it's the one mom used for many dishes so I purchased one for myself when I left home. It's never let me down.

I have a copy of the 1965 ring bound edition:
41FYWIVXC7L._SX227_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tonight was a skirt steak which had marinated overnight, along with one of those frozen southwestern style grain and veggie packs that you just microwave in the bag. Not my most elegant meal but it was a good night for a ten minute start to finish cook.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
A bit carb heavy tonight, but really tasty. Pizza with sausage and roasted mushrooms and cinnamon swirl bread for dessert - and enough for work-at-home morning toast. Fortuitously, I had picked up a one pound block of SAF yeast and 15 lbs of flour before the craziness ensued.

IMG_20200329_182459.jpg
IMG_20200329_214305.jpg
IMG_20200329_214315.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks yummy! I picked up some yeast the other day. Figured with all the time on my hands, maybe I'll try some bread-making.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That cinnamon swirl bread looks awesome! I'm really a sucker for that stuff... I love it toasted with a bit of butter. My wife won't make that (she doesn't like the raisins) but makes killer cinnamon rolls.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll have to try that sometime!
Did you know you can make your own brown sugar for less than store bought? And you don't have to worry about it getting hard as you make what you need when you need it. All you need is white sugar and molasses (not sorghum molasses - it's a different, but similar, product with a slightly bitter sweet flavor).

Light brown sugar: Combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of molasses in a mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until completely mixed.

Dark brown sugar: Combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of molasses in a mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until completely mixed.

Molasses is a byproduct of making white sugar, essentially stuff that's removed in the crystalization process to make the sugar white. When you make brown sugar yourself you're doing exactly what the manufacturers are doing to make it to sell in stores - adding the molasses back in - only for less money.

The side benefit, other than saving a bit of money, is molasses is absolutely wonderful on fresh hot buttered biscuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks