What's cooking?

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hey... I'm from the south. We fry almost everything. Where else can you get fried butter (as in battered and deep fried)? No... I've never had it and have no desire to but you can get it...
I just wanted to say thank you for the recipe if I haven’t already. Hoping to try it out next weekend :)

When I was 18 I ate at Emeril Lagasse’s steakhouse in Vegas and he served a “country fried ribeye steak” with a brown gravy and a really intense but perfect blend of savory seasonings. It was a special that night and not his normal menu recipe version and it’s been nearly twenty years and I still want a second portion.

Reactions: BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just wanted to say thank you for the recipe if I haven’t already. Hoping to try it out next weekend :)

When I was 18 I ate at Emeril Lagasse’s steakhouse in Vegas and he served a “country fried ribeye steak” with a brown gravy and a really intense but perfect blend of savory seasonings. It was a special that night and not his normal menu recipe version and it’s been nearly twenty years and I still want a second portion.
I hope it turns out OK. Making gravy is somewhat an art but easy once you get it down. Getting the roux the right color is the key. Once you learn how to do the roux it can be applied to Cajun recipes. Several use roux for thickeners and a few need/want it really dark - almost burnt looking. If you've made a bechamel then you know what to do for the roux - but you cook it more to get that light brown color and it's oil/pan drippings instead of butter.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
My arch-nemesis: Oatmeal! :eek:
I came prepared, with an InstantPot.

I lost track of time (didn't hear the alarm) after the cook ended and I'm not sure if I left it to pressure release too long or too little. In the end, it came out well enough. I need to experiment with doubling the recipe, cooking with milk instead of water, and boosting the flavor with more syrup and salt.
IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

Reactions: andySu and DFurr

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The box says "Quick 3-minute oats" but it lies. I like steel cut just a bit softer than they think they should be.

Steel cut are a pain to cook on the stove, requiring almost constant attention, which is why I usually cook them in the microwave, but I don't know that I'd want to get out the Instant-Pot for oats. I don't like them left over/reheated (fresh cooked only) so would be going through all that for a single bowl.

Reactions: DaveF

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
The box says "Quick 3-minute oats" but it lies. I like steel cut just a bit softer than they think they should be.

Steel cut are a pain to cook on the stove, requiring almost constant attention, which is why I usually cook them in the microwave, but I don't know that I'd want to get out the Instant-Pot for oats. I don't like them left over/reheated (fresh cooked only) so would be going through all that for a single bowl.
It's definitely more involved getting out the InstantPot and then having to hand wash its pot, versus grabbing my plastic microwave cookers which then go in the dishwasher.

But while I can cook complex recipes like Bolognese sauce or beef stew, some simple things like oatmeal are my Achilles! Even microwave oatmeal can explode on me and gum up the works. This is the first oatmeal cook method that worked nicely the first time, despite my lack of attention to the timing.

I've got leftovers, which I'll try tomorrow. If they're ok, then I'll try adding batch cook to my breakfast options.

andySu

Effects Supervisor
Got get a new fryer I think now as its really the parts wearing out and may as well get a brand new one and its done great the active-fryer over 10 or more years. Did cook a nice veg burger and chips with real free-range chicken farm eggs slowly fried so the white doesn't get over crispy and rather enjoyed it. No pictures of course as I wasn't thinking of taking a picture.Maybe next time.

andySu

Effects Supervisor
Got small home got have microwave that does it all and the active fryer and induction-cooker that is great! Fry an egg nicely in it but its the how One fries the egg I used to like crispy now try it do it slowly. That frying pan was I think 50 or 60 pounds new.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
So true - and if properly seasoned they're vastly superior to "non stick" cookware.
I’ve never had a well seasoned one. Worse, my experience is they degrade and get really gross over the years. My previous one, I finally gave up, threw it out, and bought a new, cheap lodge skillet.

They’re one of many tools in my kitchen, and I use them as suitable. But, I’ve never had the experience of a great cast iron skillet, and use all-clad and non-stick much more than my cast iron.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Leftover oatmeal re-heated well. Added some milk to it to smooth it out - it was really gummy a day later. But so prepared, and some brown sugar mixed in, it was a success.

I might try cooking a big batch of oatmeal tonight to have for breakfasts this week.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Cheap foods are now coming back in season.

Tonight it's a BBQ grill night. Petite sirloin ($2.99/lb.) with grilled fresh asparagus ($0.99/lb.), baked potato ($1.50/10 lb.) with garlic butter and sour crème. Cheap box Zinfandel. Strawberries ($2/lb.) on caramel ice cream.

Breakfast was an omelette (Free dozen eggs Fred Meyer coupon) with hot breakfast sausage ($2.50/lb.). Coffee from Smart Foodservices espresso beans ($8 for 2 lbs.)

andySu

Effects Supervisor
^ I said to my dad. Would like a cook up with some Salmon, rice a few other, and some fresh asparagus, which is sort of season and may not be about moment, but would like a cook up maybe late in week.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
More cheap steak and asparagus tonight - in a stir fry with sesame oil, hot pepper sauce, and curry. That ought to beat that virus.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell