What's new

What's cooking? (2 Viewers)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Made a fresh batch of Balsamic reduction today.

i-ptQVQCG-L.jpg

i-jpLGwn3.jpg

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The slicer is for me a neato tool but very low on my wishlist. I don’t often cook meats that lend themselves to deli slicing. And I’m getting right in kitchen space for such gadgets.

But I wish I had a local friend with a slow slicer! Because it’s pretty great. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
SodaStream has been super easy to figure out. This was a kind of a lark. But I've been drinking more carbonated, flavored water. So I thought maybe I could play with a SodaStream, have some options to play with the flavors, maybe use it for cocktails, maybe even save some money. So far, I like it.
IMG_3284.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I had a lot of fun with SodaStream circa 2014 and then in one brutal purge, they eliminated every flavor I liked. I ended up giving away the machine after sitting here a couple years unused.

and then of course I started enjoying plain seltzer a few months after that, which I could have used the machine for. Doh!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
SodaStream has been super easy to figure out. This was a kind of a lark. But I've been drinking more carbonated, flavored water. So I thought maybe I could play with a SodaStream, have some options to play with the flavors, maybe use it for cocktails, maybe even save some money. So far, I like it.
View attachment 66678
What flavors do you like? Does this allow you to take fresh juice and carbonate it? I love Diet Squirt but can’t find it in Arkansas.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
View attachment 66678
In the thread about soda stream, there’s a lot of discussion about it’s dubious future viability. Does this mean it’s still going strong?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What flavors do you like? Does this allow you to take fresh juice and carbonate it? I love Diet Squirt but can’t find it in Arkansas.

With SodaStream, you use the device to add carbonation to plain water, and then pour in flavors (if desired) afterwards. So you could make an extra strong seltzer to blend with the fresh juice, but you can’t inject carbonation directly into the juice or you’ll make the whole machine explode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No. They specifically are for water only, with flavorings added after as desired. I’ve only had it plain and with the lemon extract included with the product. I’ll try other flavors later. I use Mio flavorings with plain water, so I’ll give those a try too.

In the thread about soda stream, there’s a lot of discussion about it’s dubious future viability. Does this mean it’s still going strong?
that thread is about five years old. So...SodaStream seems to still be alive... :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We've had a competitor version for just over 2 years. My wife uses it for all kinds of things - roast to chicken to baked potato (russet and sweet). It's great in the summer to make hot meals without using the oven and heating up the house. The only thing I couldn't get to cook properly was rice.

She started having issues with the seal not working (she says they were wearing out after 3 or 4 uses - I think it's user error but have no proof) and spewing stuff all over so I got her a 10qt. Instant Pot for Christmas. That may have been a mistake - it's *huge* (her current device is a 6qt.). So... I'm about to order a 6qt. Instant Pot and put the 10qt. one in reserve for those times we need that capacity. She *did* say the 10qt. could be useful for canning (she makes jams and jellies fairly regularly) so I'm hoping it'll pair nicely with the Fruit Juicer Steamer I got her for Christmas.
710IMz9AkFL._SL1500_.jpg

She's excited about that one and is looking forward to using it to make fresh blackberry jelly (it's a *lot* of work to make seedless blackberry jam).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We've had a competitor version for just over 2 years. My wife uses it for all kinds of things - roast to chicken to baked potato (russet and sweet). It's great in the summer to make hot meals without using the oven and heating up the house. The only thing I couldn't get to cook properly was rice.

She started having issues with the seal not working (she says they were wearing out after 3 or 4 uses - I think it's user error but have no proof) and spewing stuff all over so I got her a 10qt. Instant Pot for Christmas. That may have been a mistake - it's *huge* (her current device is a 6qt.). So... I'm about to order a 6qt. Instant Pot and put the 10qt. one in reserve for those times we need that capacity. She *did* say the 10qt. could be useful for canning (she makes jams and jellies fairly regularly) so I'm hoping it'll pair nicely with the Fruit Juicer Steamer I got her for Christmas.
710IMz9AkFL._SL1500_.jpg

She's excited about that one and is looking forward to using it to make fresh blackberry jelly (it's a *lot* of work to make seedless blackberry jam).
A fruit juice steamer?

NEVER MIND

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Gotta say, homemade blackberry jam sounds pretty great - does your wife take mail orders? :D
Don't know... she might. :)
A fruit juice steamer?

NEVER MIND
Not "juice" but "juicer" - it steams fruits/vegetables in an upper pan/steamer basket releasing their juice which is caught in a lower pan and then drained off. Otherwise it's boil the fruits and then run them through a strainer lined with cheesecloth. It can be a messy, laborious, process. This thing is supposed to extract the juices and leave all the skin/pulp behind. The juice is also pasteurized when it comes out. I'd never heard of this until she asked for it. One of her friends who produces jelly to sell told her about it - we've tried her product and it's very good (so's my wife's but it's not as clear/clean). Looks like I'll find out all about them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks