What's new

What's cooking? (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What's cooking tonight? Nothing. I went to the store, had a menu planned, and as I'm beginning to shop an announcement is posted that they're not able to take credit cards today. I didn't have any cash, and the ATM is further than the store, so...nada.

Frozen food or delivery instead. But I tried!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What's cooking tonight? Nothing. I went to the store, had a menu planned, and as I'm beginning to shop an announcement is posted that they're not able to take credit cards today. I didn't have any cash, and the ATM is further than the store, so...nada.

Frozen food or delivery instead. But I tried!
That's the only grocery store in your area? I live in a relatively small town, but we have three large supermarkets within a few miles, plus assorted neighborhood markets and quick stops.

Though it does make a good excuse to be creative with your pantry and fridge/freezer.

Pulls frost-encrusted package from freezer. "Gee, wonder what this is?" :eek:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm ready to try something different in red clam sauce. Generally I saute onions and diced zucchini then throw in the clams and marinara sauce. I separate the clams from their juice into a small glass, then add in slowly to prevent getting too much liquid. Good but getting old.

I have the large jar of small pimento stuffed green olives, so I thought I'd sub those for the zucchini and some petite diced tomatoes instead of the marinara sauce. The briny olives should be less soggy than the diced zucchini.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm a veggie. Tried some Gardein's sweet & sour meatless pork chunks. Used their sauce with some good slices of sweet onion, red/green bells chopped up. A bit of butter, salt, pepper. I lost track of time and it cooked a little long burning the sauce a little but was fantastic anyway. I was wondering what to put beside my Thanksgiving mac and cheese...goody!! I made some pretty good fried rice with some slightly overcooked egg chopped up and leftover veggie stir fry from Friday and PF Chang's Teriyaki sauce. Also some slightly burned garlic french bread. I've been busy with a home movie backup project and forgetting every damn thing! Was lucky nothing really got ruined.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Has anyone been using an Instant Pot?

Peg is curious about getting one.
I'd be interested too. I've been thinking about getting one for my Mom. She has an old-fashioned pressure cooker that she uses occasionally. It must be 40 years old at least. I'd like to get her something more modern.

NeatStuff

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Shawn
I'm ready to try something different in red clam sauce. Generally I saute onions and diced zucchini then throw in the clams and marinara sauce. I separate the clams from their juice into a small glass, then add in slowly to prevent getting too much liquid. Good but getting old.

I have the large jar of small pimento stuffed green olives, so I thought I'd sub those for the zucchini and some petite diced tomatoes instead of the marinara sauce. The briny olives should be less soggy than the diced zucchini.

I would happily trade you 2 ribeyes for 1 good plate of clams. (I live in the deserts/plains of West Texas)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'd be interested too. I've been thinking about getting one for my Mom. She has an old-fashioned pressure cooker that she uses occasionally. It must be 40 years old at least. I'd like to get her something more modern.
The instant pot was mentioned on CBS Sunday Morning today. They spent more time talking about old-style pressure cookers. So I checked out Amazon. It’s getting 4.5 stars out of over 30,000 reviews. Sounds like a success to me. I did notice several reviews mentioned that the manufacture runs the consumer thru hoops trying not to honor the warranty.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'll try the spatchcock turkey but will continue on to actually separating the halves. I'm single and a turkey is too big, but they want a real premium price for just a turkey breast. So I will cook the halves separately - maybe freeze half for much later. A local store had fresh turkeys for $0.97/lb which is less than half the price of a turkey breast. Martha Stewart has a time/temp listing for spatchcock turkey which should also apply to each half. Since the time is shorter I'll forgo brining so I can make gravy.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What ever you do, DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BACKBONE OF YOUR SPATCHCOCKED TURKEY! It'll make some of the best gravy you've ever had.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well that was fun. I feel I've been an actor in a Quentin Tarantino flick. But I bravely hacked and chopped a turkey into spatchcocked halves. Since I'm by myself I'll cook half today and the other half later. I'll roast on a bed of vegetables, mostly onions since I bought a 25 lb sack of onions on sale for $4 a few weeks ago. Maybe later I'll experiment with the gas grill on the other half, now cooling in the freezer.

I don't have a pair of poultry sheers so I used my kitchen scissors and a pair of tin snips, first wire brushing then scrubbing the snips. They look like this and cut through anything.

Tin-Snips_lg.jpg

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Poultry shears are a must, I think for this work. A friend used scissors and said it was messy, difficult, and took a long time. I used a pair of oxo poultry shears and was done after and easy ten minutes.

Spatchcocking is super fast and easy compared to normal oven roasting or grill rotisserie. The dry brine is also super easy compared to wet brine. I think a wet brine tastes a little better than dry brine. But dry was still good. And it’s so much easier I’d do it again without reservation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks