What's new

What's cooking? (2 Viewers)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Last summer we bought an Akorn Kamado grill.
https://www.chargriller.com/kamado-grills

You can smoke and or grill with this.
It's similar to a Big Green Egg but much less costly.

We have been grilling steak and veggies with it.
Smoked a boston butt that we pulled about for pork sandwiches.

Bought a slab of pork belly and plan on doing pork belly burnt ends this weekend.

Johnny this can smoke for up to 20 hours and some say even longer.
No pellets it uses charcoal briquettes but lump wood charcoal works best.
Wood chips and wood chunks are used too.

We like to smoke ribs. They might be the easiest thing to smoke.
I'll bet you're very happy with your Kamodo. I while back I took a BRIEF looks at the Egg and said no way. We've also reached a point where we'll make grilling convenient when we can. So no more charcoal. The electric smoker we got is very convenient and with the pellets, is a set it and almost forget it process.

You have to post how the burnt ends come out and the recipe. I had pork belly as an appetizer at a restaurant once. They were tasty, but it was too much fat. Will the burnt ends solve that?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Same issue for me. Single and loving it, but hard to shrink a lasagna recipe, so I feast on it for about a week. Some recipes I can portion out and freeze individual meals, but not always. Of course my dog helps, terribly spoiled and once you start giving her people food, impossible to break that habit. She'll just sit and stare at me, waiting for her share. I finally cave in because she'll start drooling and soak the carpet. :D

Been craving turkey, so just bought a turkey breast roast, still a lot of meat, but only about four lbs. not 25, so I should be okay. Roast that thing, some nice home-made gravy, roasted carrots & potatoes, etc. Wrong time of year, but once it starts, there's only one solution, submit or keep obsessing over it. Luckily not into sweets or I'd weigh 300 lbs., my cravings are usually fairly healthy.

Okay, done for now. Laid up with mega pain from a foot injury and I've been posting way to much.

Try Boston Market. May be almost as expensive, but the leftover problem is solved. (And now, I'm having Boston Market for lunch.)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Breakfast-Salad.jpeg
Where's yer yeggs???

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Try Boston Market. May be almost as expensive, but the leftover problem is solved. (And now, I'm having Boston Market for lunch.)

We had one Boston Market, loved it, but it closed years ago. We've got almost every other franchise kind of place, wish they'd come back. Or maybe I'll win Powerball and open my own franchise :D

Looks like they deliver if there's a Boston Market in your city. Can't find anything where they ship Fed-Ex or something like that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This was basically my throwing something together from the remaining ingredients of my wife's different dishes from the last week.

First I browned the chicken in some oil and garlic, then poached it in about a cup of broth for 20 minutes. When the chicken was cooked, I sauteed zucchini, red onion, shiitake mushrooms, and wood ear mushrooms in the remaining juices.

I seem to have the best results when I'm just throwing stuff together.

IMG_20170805_102644383.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big gardener, a few tomato plants, now behind a fence. But my neighbor is massively into growing veggies.

I'm now loaded with cucumbers, yellow zucchini, tomatoes, onions, carrots, kale, raspberries, etc. She grows loads of stuff and shares with her friends.

Planning a meat/veggie ragu thing tonight. No recipe, I'll just wing it and see how things turn out.

I kind of gave up growing my own veggies a few years ago. Had some beautiful tomato plants, just ready to harvest. I'm out weeding with my back to the yard and my black lab ate every tomato. Very quiet, didn't notice until I went to pick them and all of them were gone.

Labs eat everything, but I didn't expect her to pluck off every single tomato. Not happy.:cool:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Cameron about "winging it". Some of my best dishes weren't from a recipe...I just hope I remember how to make it the next time!

Picked up a spiralizer at Target for $10 and LOVE it! I payed six bucks for spiraled zucchini at the store and realized I can make the same thing for $2. Can't wait to try it on other veggies. I tried roasted cauliflower for the first time and it was really easy and delicious. The "pasta" is topped with roasted red peppers, baby bellas and goat cheese with a reduction of white wine and chicken stock. The whole meal was delicious and healthy (OK, except for the bacon and cheese!).
IMG_3497.JPG

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Had a birthday dinner for a friend. I made vegetable lasagna and his favorite dessert, Oreo cookies. Well, I made the cookies from a recipe in America Test Kitchen's D.I.Y. cookbook. It called for black cocoa which I had never heard of, but found it on amazon.

WP_20170716_14_37_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20170421_16_52_48_Pro (2).jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Fresh salmon filet (healthy), French fries, still deciding whether to bake or deep-fry (really not so healthy either way). A nice tartar sauce on the side and I'm happy. Have some fresh corn, but so labor intensive, I'm in a more "set it and forget it" mood.

Salmon takes maybe 3-4 minutes, put the fries in the oven for 20 minutes or so, painless. The corn, shuck it, get rid of the silk, boil it for a while, let it drain and cool, cut it off the cob, butter, some S&P, so much work. :D

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Fresh salmon filet (healthy), French fries, still deciding whether to bake or deep-fry (really not so healthy either way). A nice tartar sauce on the side and I'm happy. Have some fresh corn, but so labor intensive, I'm in a more "set it and forget it" mood.

Salmon takes maybe 3-4 minutes, put the fries in the oven for 20 minutes or so, painless. The corn, shuck it, get rid of the silk, boil it for a while, let it drain and cool, cut it off the cob, butter, some S&P, so much work. :D

Try French Fries un the Phillips Air Frier. Bought one 2 years ago and use it constantly!

Check Amazon and the videos on it.

There are several Air Friers out there but IMHO the Phillips one is the best.

Raul

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Peach pie today. I'm cheating and using a frozen store bought crust, but the peaches are great this time of year. Supposed to peel them, but I' going to leave the skin on, much healthier.

Ran out of sugar (I can buy a five lb. sack and it will last a couple years, not a big sweet eater). Picked up a two lb. bag of some goofy organic stuff from Trader Joe's. It's kind of beige colored. Not white, not brown, but it's pretty decent.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
So easy and so delicious! Baked avocados with egg, topped with salsa, roasted Hatch chilies, homegrown cilantro. Definitely use medium eggs unless the avocados are REALLY big.

Attachments

• 2017-08-30 10.41.08.jpg
    2017-08-30 10.41.08.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
So easy and so delicious! Baked avocados with egg, topped with salsa, roasted Hatch chilies, homegrown cilantro. Definitely use medium eggs unless the avocados are REALLY big.
Sounds excellent. But I'm one of that small percentage that can't stand cilantro. I can literally eat everything, but cilantro tastes like dish soap ;)

Only know that because I was punished as a child for swearing, it's a taste you'll never forget.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sounds excellent. But I'm one of that small percentage that can't stand cilantro. I can literally eat everything, but cilantro tastes like dish soap ;)

Only know that because I was punished as a child for swearing, it's a taste you'll never forget.
I feel your pain (but I very much dislike avocado as well - they taste "green," not unlike under cooked green beans, with a texture I just can't tolerate). I discovered my dislike of cilantro a few years back when we decided to make our own salsa. We have a local one that's excellent and I wanted to try and duplicate it so I did my usual of find a recipe that sounds good and use it as a jumping off point. It called for a Tbsp. of cilantro so I purchase a bunch. Worst. Thing. Ever. I can't stand the stuff and found that taste I've had in some Tex-Mex restaurants that turns me off. For me it's a metallic, very bitter, flavor. I get odd looks when I now request it not be used in anything I order and send stuff back when I detect its flavor profile. My favorite local Tex-Mex place uses it in all their salsa and pico, making them inedible for me. At least that local salsa we like doesn't use it! I've actually taken a container of it to that place I do like so I'm not relegated to only queso.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I get odd looks when I now request it not be used in anything I order and send stuff back when I detect it's flavor profile.

I ordered some chili at a restaurant a while ago, said it came with cilantro sprinkled on top. I specifically said "No cilantro". Didn't work, it came with cilantro. Sounds snooty, but first time in my life, I sent it back and got a new order.

Have heard the cilantro thing is genetic. Kind of like how I can curl my tongue but many people can't. :D

Brings up old high school science class memories. We did experiments with different "taste strips". Some people couldn't detect anything. Most of them made me almost vomit, very sensitive taste cells. Even bought some cookies at a job, I tasted the slightest hint of lemon, nobody else did. Reading the ingredients, the very last one was lemon.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I spatchcocked the turkey last year. I used a new set of kitchen shears to do it and it was relatively easy.

We put the bird on top of the stuffing/dressing, but that resulted in a bit too much fat drippings / juices in the dressing for most of our tastes (my dad loves wet stuffing, so it was perfect for him). So if you want things on the dryer side, I would put the bird over a pan to catch the drippings and add to the stuffing to taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks