What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
KPmusmag said:
For a while, I was an amateur recipe tester for ATK. They would send me an email with a link to a recipe, I would make it, and then fill out a rather lengthy questionnaire as to what I found easy or difficult, what I liked or didn't like about it, etc. There are two recipes that really stand out for me from those days. One is Chicken Enchiladas Verde, which is quite a process, roasting tomatillos and peppers, poaching chicken, rolling the enchiladas, etc., but so worthwhile. They are pictured here with Cuban style black beans, baked with a pig's trotter for hours and then a bright soffrito stirred in at the end, Mexican style brown rice, and gazpacho (in the cup). The other is Chicken Tikka Masala with basmati rice and spiced lentils with chard. So good and one of those recipes that is surely more than the sum of its parts. They haven't sent me one in some time, I suppose they try to rotate people out. I really enjoyed doing it, so I might sign up again next time they put out the call for volunteers.
Love Chicken Tikka Masala, especially with a side of basmati, but to stir up more trouble, I've often heard that's not a true Indian dish, more of a mix-up of British, Indian, Pakastani and other cultures? Will we ever know?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Stan said:
Love Chicken Tikka Masala, especially with a side of basmati, but to stir up more trouble, I've often heard that's not a true Indian dish, more of a mix-up of British, Indian, Pakastani and other cultures? Will we ever know?
Yes, according to ATK the story goes something along these lines: there was a patron in a London curry restaurant who was dissatisfied with the tandoor chicken, so out of desperation the Bangladeshi chef took a can of tomato soup, mixed in garam masala (a kind of curry powder), and poured it over the chicken and a new sensation was born. Also, according to ATK, the recipe does not appear in any of their reference books on Indian cuisine, and they are very clear that it was invented in England and do not pretend that it is actually Indian. I will say that I have had it in Indian restaurants, usually on the buffet table, and some have been better than others. A few really did taste like nothing more than spiced tomato soup. :cool:

In the ATK version, the chicken, even just by itself is great, in fact, I have made the chicken by itself more than once and either used a different kind of sauce or served it on its own. It is marinated in a thick yogurt mixture, spiced with fresh ginger and garlic, plus some other spices like cumin and coriander, and then either broiled or grilled. I do it until it is charred; the thick yogurt keeps the chicken from drying out and the flavor is just outstanding. The chicken and masala sauce are kept separate until the very end so that the chicken does not continue to cook in the sauce.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
KPmusmag said:
In the ATK version, the chicken, even just by itself is great, in fact, I have made the chicken by itself more than once and either used a different kind of sauce or served it on its own. It is marinated in a thick yogurt mixture, spiced with fresh ginger and garlic, plus some other spices like cumin and coriander, and then either broiled or grilled. I do it until it is charred; the thick yogurt keeps the chicken from drying out and the flavor is just outstanding. The chicken and masala sauce are kept separate until the very end so that the chicken does not continue to cook in the sauce.
One thing I have to mention, chicken can be so incredibly different depending on who raises it.

I've always bought just standard grocery store chicken, nothing fancy, but it's what I grew up on. Then we start seeing organic, natural, free range and other descriptions.Not sure I trust the grocery store labels, instead try and buy local. It really makes a huge difference. I get chickens now from a Hutterite farm about 15 miles from my home. Introduced to them by a "hippie" friend, mid '60s, very into health food, organics, non-GMO, etc. But wow, these chickens are fantastic. She gets dozens of them about this time of year and shares with me. Vacuum pack and they're good for months.
They're just let loose to run on their own. They eat whatever nature provides along with garden trimmings, all organically grown and extra feed if needed. They're huge and the flavor difference is shocking. Also get fresh eggs, even those are different. #1 much fresher, but darker yolks and much more flavorful.If you can buy local, do it. The factory farming we're so exposed to now is so boring and generic. Find real farmers who know and care about what they're doing.
Okay, no more preaching. :mellow:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
We shop mostly at an employee owned, warehouse style grocery store and after reported issues with Foster Farms chickens we decided to try a brand carried by the store called Just Bare Chicken. It's noticeably better tasting than Foster's, but still convenient enough to buy within our normal routine.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
KPmusmag said:
... they are very clear that it was invented in England and do not pretend that it is actually Indian.
Similar to chop suey being invented in San Francisco?

Hey the Italians took American tomatoes and Chinese pasta and invented spaghetti marinara.

A savory dish here in Boise is lentils with Basque chorizo. The original Basque chorizo is much less greasy than the Mexican version.

525.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
Similar to chop suey being invented in San Francisco?

Hey the Italians took American tomatoes and Chinese pasta and invented spaghetti marinara.

A savory dish here in Boise is lentils with Basque chorizo. The original Basque chorizo is much less greasy than the Mexican version.

525.jpg
I have got to find a brand like that here in Spokane. All I've ever come across is this disgusting, greasy, bright red stuff that literally falls apart and looks like greasy baby-food. Yuck. I want a true chorizo that holds its shape yet still has a good flavor.

Maybe mail-order something if I can find a good source, but our local stuff is crap.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Translation please? Maybe a British thing, but I have no idea what that statement means. :)
The cards inside the processor costs more than a dinner plate.

Another real meal at dads last year, 12th September 2013.

533238_10151881531355149_562148997_n.jpg

Vs my home cooking :lol: Vegy Burgers. I like these.

As for the broken plate, Sooty knocked it on the floor being a black cat I kept the broken plate.

774635_10151415701840149_1778778852_o.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
30th September 2012 the Chinese restaurant Days down town. I might be giving it the thumbs up, for the look of it, That was until I took a small bite into the Broccoli, and spat out on the plate when it tasted like stale cigarette.

The rest of the meal was okay.

388836_10151236733035149_1799469881_n.jpg

Seconds with some seafood, yummy I like shrimp, scampi and crab.

3169_10151236732215149_98890250_n.jpg

536162_10151236736490149_1413865345_n.jpg

Deserts

539495_10151236742900149_329210659_n.jpg

Asda? That's going a bit cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if all the food came from Asda.

539531_10151236743520149_466009083_n.jpg

It was a fun evening out with my friend and rest of friends for his birthday. By now most have left headed home and rest of stayed bit longer to stuff ourselves.

304480_10151236746975149_1725552426_n.jpg

148810_10151236746225149_1069983736_n.jpg

Some nice dishes. :P

317524_10151236747665149_1048412361_n.jpg

225973_10151236748420149_1349725297_n.jpg

Not the cat thread but once back home around my friends his cat, Rose.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Cheese on toast oh, I forget the cheese but I buy plenty of bread. The microwave as gill so its fine for cheese on toast as I did some a few months ago. No pictures. I'll get some cheese later today for that evening snack.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Thanks Andy, just me being a little "dense" today. :cool:
Your lacking the force today? You need to eat and not spend money on bluray discs as you can't live on plastic discs. :P

Stan

Senior HTF Member
andySu said:
Cheese on toast oh, I forget the cheese but I buy plenty of bread. The microwave as gill so its fine for cheese on toast as I did some a few months ago. No pictures. I'll get some cheese later today for that evening snack.
Using a microwave for a grilled cheese sandwich? eeewww!!!. You can't grill in a microwave, at best you'll end up with a soggy lump of goo. My dog Kylie would love it, but not fit for human consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks