What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoy Sashimi at a good Japanese restaurant, but never tried raw beef, not quite that daring. Rare I enjoy, but it's got to have at least a little bit of cooking.

I've got a pretty good recipe for egg nog that uses a raw egg. It's a nice, normal liquid drink I'll sometimes have for a quick breakfast, not that thick, gloppy, overly sweet stuff that people serve around the holidays.
That sounds like milk with a raw egg, not egg nog :) egg nog has lots of egg and lots of cream. It's basically liquid custard and if it's not thick and creamy, it's not nog!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
At our family Christmas celebrations, as long as I can remember, raw ground chuck is served, usually molded into a festive shape.
It is served with raw sliced onions, cocktail rye bread, salt, and pepper.

Delicious.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like milk with a raw egg, not egg nog :) egg nog has lots of egg and lots of cream. It's basically liquid custard and if it's not thick and creamy, it's not nog!

I'm just going with what the cookbook calls it :rolleyes: It really isn't egg nog, but it's milk, the egg, sugar, vanilla, a touch of nutmeg, no booze. Pretty tasty actually. Just one serving, toss it in the blender, no cooking involved.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I enjoy Sashimi at a good Japanese restaurant, but never tried raw beef, not quite that daring. Rare I enjoy, but it's got to have at least a little bit of cooking.

Sashimi has generally been frozen for a week to kill any parasites. I don't know if there are any similar regulations for serving raw beef.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
We had a pile of leftover rice and veggies in the fridge, so time to make fried rice. Just added some "luncheon meat" AKA Spam.

WIN_20160820_12_50_56_Pro.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
We had a pile of leftover rice and veggies in the fridge, so time to make fried rice. Just added some "luncheon meat" AKA Spam.
I do it the other way around. I have a bowl in the fridge that I toss leftover cooked meats into. At the end of the week I make something like chili or cassoulet (that's French chili) by adding fresh veggies and beans. If it's all pork then I may make a stir-fry. You need cooked pork for that as raw pork doesn't stir fry well, hence the Chinese "twice cooked pork" dishes.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Any of youse guys try sous vide cooking? Thoughts on whether it's worth doing?

Looks like an interesting technique, but they require a pretty expensive piece of equipment to keep the precise temperature and the water circulating. Along with a vacuum sealer. I follow the Alton Brown school of cooking, and this seems like a unitasker. If that's the only thing it can do, seems kind of wasteful. I've seen them from $200 to over $1000 which is pretty extreme.

Although I do love cooking techniques where you do all the prep, walk away and come back a few hours later to a finished meal, but not at that price.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was offered a relatively inexpensive sous vide cooker through Amazon Vine, but my wife was like "not another kitchen gadget!" Also, there is NO WAY IN HADES that she would eat, or allow our son to eat, food that was cooked in a plastic bag.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Huckleberry pancakes for breakfast. Picked berries somewhere in Idaho when I was a kid, but haven't had them in a long time. They're usually very expensive, but went to a farmer's market yesterday and got about a half gallon for $10. So pancakes to start, then maybe a pie or cobbler with the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks