What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Jason Charlton said:
The half cut is just a cut part-way through the narrow end to help with the fold over. I cut across and about halfway (or a little deeper) through the meat where I intend to fold it. I then fold away from the cut so the cut surface opens up to become the new "end" of the tenderloin. It helps keep the folded end from becoming too bulbous. It's a technique illustrated in my favorite grilling cookbook How to Grill by Steve Raichlen.
Ok I ususpected that. Thanks for the tip! I will add that to any tuck under next time

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm attempting Coconut Mango Mahi-Mahi tonight, with buttercup squash and a cucumber/tomato salad. Wish me luck! :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Shrimp and Scallops Linguini Alfredo.

IMG_2244.JPG

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Made some ALIEN noodles with ham a few nights ago. Simple meal and filling.
Place noodles in dish with water and place it in microwave oven :P for 6 minutes. Peel some ham up and place the ham on the noodles and consume.

10628803_10152723650310149_4017546298707317170_o.jpg

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Dinner tonight- (wife got recipe after she had them at PF Chang's)-P.F. Chang's China Bistro Singapore Street NoodlesSingapore Sauce:2 tablespoons white vinegar 1/4 cup curry powder 1 pinch turmeric (optional) 1/4 cup lite soy 1 cup vegetarian oyster sauce 1/4 cup Sriricha chili sauce 1/4 cup ketchupNoodles:2 gallons water 1 pound rice stick noodles 4 tablespoons canola oil 8 ounces medium-size shrimp 8 ounces chicken, julienned 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped 1 cup cabbage, julienned 1/2 cup carrots, julienned 2 medium tomatoes, diced 1 bunch scallions, green parts, cut 2 inches long 1/4 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped 1 teaspoon sesame oil 1/3 cup fried shallots 1 lime, quarteredCombine vinegar, curry powder and turmeric; mix until powders are well dissolved. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce and ketchup; mix well. Set aside.Bring water to a rolling boil. Place rice sticks in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain, then immediately rinse under rapid running hot water for 1 minute and drain well. Toss noodles with 2 tablespoons canola oil; set aside.In a hot wok stir-fry shrimp and chicken in 2 tablespoons canola oil until just done, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, cabbage, carrots and tomatoes; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add noodles; stir-fry 1 minute more. Add 1 cup vinegar mixture; stir-fry until ingredients are well incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add scallions, cilantro and sesame oil; toss briefly.Garnish with fried shallots and a lime wedge.Makes 4 servings.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ATK Skillet Cornbread. First try, and I'm pleased with it. I used a 12" skillet; I don't have a 10". But it wasn't too thin. I added a 1/4" brown sugar, since I prefer sweet cornbread.
IMG_4403.jpg

From my Weber Real Grilling cookbook, I made some bone-in pork chops. I don't have much experience with rubs, or homemade sauce, or chops for that matter. I bought two pairs of chops: one pair from the butcher section a good 1" or more thick, the other pair pre-packaged and about 3/4" thick. Made the rub (black pepper, red pepper, mustard, salt, garlic, brown sugar, and more), and grilled the chops. Cooked the thin and thick to 160F (using the iGrill mini -- I continue to recommend this gadget), so they'd all be nicely cooked. Had the sauce on the side, a molasses and ketchup based sauce.

And wonder of wonders, friends went apple picking, and brought us some homemade apple sauce! What better to go with the pork chops than apple sauce? This dinner was blessed by the fates! :D

I really liked this dish. I had the thick chops tonight, and they were tasty! (Thin portions are leftovers for dinner this week.) Both rub and sauce were good. It's an easy recipe, and would be pretty fast with practice. Even the corn bread was fairly simple, even accounting for ATK finicky bits. The only change, next time I need to make the dry rub in two parts, so I can make my wife's portion without the peppers. And I'm not into heat, so I might tone it down for myself. But definitely a winner. If anyone's interested, I'll transcribe the recipes on request.
IMG_4417.jpg

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Great cornbread recipe with a little kick:Poblano Stuffed CornbreadYield:8 to 10 servingsIngredients1 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal1/2 cup all-purpose flour1 tablespoon baking powder1 teaspoon kosher salt1/2 teaspoon baking soda1 cup milk1/2 cup buttermilk1 egg8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed1/2 cup diced and seeded roasted poblano peppersDirectionsPreheat the oven to 400 degrees F.Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup butter and allow to melt while you begin to prepare the batter. Reserve the melted butter for later use, carefully wipe out the pan and place in the oven to heat.In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the milk, buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually incorporate the wet mixture, stirring until the lumps are dissolved. Fold in the cheese, corn and poblanos.To bake the cornbread, carefully remove the skillet from the oven and add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter so it sizzles. Coat the pan with the butter and quickly pour the cornbread batter into the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
ATK Skillet Cornbread. First try, and I'm pleased with it. I used a 12" skillet; I don't have a 10". But it wasn't too thin. I added a 1/4" brown sugar, since I prefer sweet cornbread.
aka "Yankee cornbread"

The chops look fantastic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Kevin Hewell said:
aka "Yankee cornbread"

The chops look fantastic.
That might be. It's called "Southern-style Skillet Cornbread". But ATK is produced in Vermont, so what do they know? :) But it's my new favorite cornbread. Pure cornmeal, so nice and corn-y. The brown sugar gave it a hint of sweetness without becoming dessert bread. I look forward to trying it again.

The chops...I'll be doing this again next month :) I tend to avoid pork because it's bland and easy to overcook. But a nice rub and a meat thermometer makes a big difference!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
atfree said:
Dinner tonight-(wife got recipe after she had them at PF Chang's)-P.F. Chang's China Bistro Singapore Street NoodlesSingapore Sauce:2 tablespoons white vinegar 1/4 cup curry powder 1 pinch turmeric (optional) 1/4 cup lite soy 1 cup vegetarian oyster sauce 1/4 cup Sriricha chili sauce 1/4 cup ketchupNoodles:2 gallons water 1 pound rice stick noodles 4 tablespoons canola oil 8 ounces medium-size shrimp 8 ounces chicken, julienned 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped 1 cup cabbage, julienned 1/2 cup carrots, julienned 2 medium tomatoes, diced 1 bunch scallions, green parts, cut 2 inches long 1/4 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped 1 teaspoon sesame oil 1/3 cup fried shallots 1 lime, quarteredCombine vinegar, curry powder and turmeric; mix until powders are well dissolved. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce and ketchup; mix well. Set aside.Bring water to a rolling boil. Place rice sticks in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain, then immediately rinse under rapid running hot water for 1 minute and drain well. Toss noodles with 2 tablespoons canola oil; set aside.In a hot wok stir-fry shrimp and chicken in 2 tablespoons canola oil until just done, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, cabbage, carrots and tomatoes; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add noodles; stir-fry 1 minute more. Add 1 cup vinegar mixture; stir-fry until ingredients are well incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add scallions, cilantro and sesame oil; toss briefly.Garnish with fried shallots and a lime wedge.Makes 4 servings.
One note on this recipe.......DO NOT use the amount of Sriricha chili sauce recommended in the recipe. My wife actually cut it in half and it was still too hot for most of the family (didn't bother me as I love hot and spicy food; this one definitely cleared out my sinuses!). I would actually recommend adding it by the spoonful and tasting after each addition so it will meet your "heat" tolerance.

Other than the heat, it was delicious.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
DaveF said:
I tend to avoid pork because it's bland and easy to overcook. But a nice rub and a meat thermometer makes a big difference!
I've found boneless sirloin pork chops grill up well. Rub them and then cook them indirect as though they were spare ribs. The sirloin chops have a bit more marbling than regular loin chops and therefore survive the grilling better.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
That's far too spicy for us! Plus, cilantro = dishwater. (Yep, got that gene) :D
Got the same gene. People used to think I was crazy, but cilantro? Might as well use dish-soap, absolutely awful.

I can eat anything, never walked away from anything yet, or will at least be polite and fake it, but cilantro? Not a chance.

As for the corn bread recipe, can't find it right now, but I've got a great "triple corn bread" that uses ground corn, creamed corn and whole corn kernels. It's so over the top, but well worth the effort. I'll dig it up somewhere.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I can't imagine living without cilantro.....You guys wouldn't like my burritos: start by sautéing onions, jalapenos, and meat. Heat beans and salsa separately. Spoon each into a warm tortilla, add hot sauce and cilantro just before rolling.

My brother has that defective gene and thinks that it tastes like soap.

Paper is here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.2096

People's genes influence them more than is politically acceptable these days. Nicholas Wade's new book is certainly....interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks