What's better...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Trot, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Chris Trot

Chris Trot Stunt Coordinator

Which setup do you guys think is better. I listen to about 90% music. The HTD Level three combo with two towers, a level 3 center, level 3 mains, and powered sub ...vs...Three CBM 170's (one for center) rears=HTM 200, and a rava sub....any help before I miss that holiday window with my wife would be greatly appreciated

2. Chris Trot

my window is closing...please help

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I would bet that the Rava sub is better than the HTD. Don't know about Level III vs. the CBM-170, but that Ascend system is exactly what I got for my friend (w/ the VTF-2), and it's a rocking system for sure. You won't have any regrets w/ that.

The HTD is probably fine as well. Unfortunately I haven't heard both, just the Ascends. The HTD do look a little nicer, even just in black.

But as far as subs, I'd go w/ the Rava over the HTD. Any reason you wouldn't just get a VTF-2 from Ascend while you're getting the speakers?

IMO I think it's a waste to get the HTD towers since they're not truly full range, and you'd still want to run them as "small" for best bass performance.

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I used to own a set of of HTD Level IIIs as well as a Rava subwoofer. They worked wonderfully together and I highly suggest you try to get the HTD speakers along with the Rava sub. Avoid the HTD sub. It has generally received poor reviews

The best way to do this would be to skip the towers as Richard suggested and just get two pairs of bookshelves. Add in the center channel for a total cost of $622 shipped. The Rava costs $399, plus about another $25 for shipping costs. That brings you up to about $424 for the sub. This would bring the total cost of the system to about $1,066. Would that work with your budget?

5. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I second HTD, They redesigned their speakers and subs, I wonder if the subs are better now?

6. Chris Trot

In response to what Richard said, I was planning on getting the Rava sub instead of the VTF-2, which can come with the CBM-170's package, becasue I have heard that the Rava sub is better for music, and I listent o about 90% muisc