What's better: Winter or Summer Olympics?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Seeing that the winter olympics is coming, what's your favorite and why?

Mine would be the Winter olympics since I'm not that big on Track and Field. Alot of the skiing makes great TV viewing and I like watching the hockey and stuff.... I can even watch figure skating, but for some reason, people running around in circles doesn't do it for me.... Dunno, that's just me...

Jay

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Whichever one features swimsuit-clad female atheletes. Guess that would be the Summer Olympics...

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Summer... Womens Gymnastics, Synchronized Swimming, Swimming, Diving... [​IMG]
    Though most arent that attractive, there are a few that are quite nice

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I would lean toward the Winter Olympics. Only because there are more events I feel compelled to watch. Track and field is an awesome event, but I have no desire to watch the marathon. I would much prefer that everything was a 220 or 440 yard dash. Give me the explosive events! [​IMG]

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Not much of a sport fan but the Winter Olympics are far better, mainly because of the ice hockey one of the only sports I really like.

6. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I also think that the Winter Olympics are better. I dunno, I prefer the events, especially hockey.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Summer because I like the track and field. Nothing is better than a lot of hype surrounding the men's 100m sprint and have the battle settled once and for all.

8. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Winter, baby!

Curling, hockey, biathlon, ski jumping, oh yeah! Ok, maybe it's 'cause I'm from Canada, or maybe it's because they're only a few weeks away, but either way, I'm going for Winter all the way.

9. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

While there are some Winter sports that I enjoy watching, I have to vote for the Summer Olympics. Summer has a larger variety of events, in my opinion, and I can often find something I want to watch when I randomly flip it on.

----

Joel

10. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I prefer the Winter Olympics. In the Summer Olympics the majority of medals are for Track and Field, Swimming and Gymnastics. Can you say BORING!!!!

Patrick

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I would rank the summer olympics as much more interesting than the winter olympics simply because I'm not much of a fan of winter sports. Skis, bobsleds, and hockey just don't do much for me but I can relate to summer sports.

12. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Summer

13. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I've played hockey and skiied all my life so the winter olympics are by far the more entertaining of the two for me.

14. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I like them both, and I think it was great when they offset the two so that each gets 100% of the limelight in its year.
    I'm not big into the "subjective sports" like figure skating and gymnastics.
    Question for non-USA members: Olympics coverage in the USA is HEAVILY slanted toward US athletes and the sports in which we tend to excel. I assume everyone's coverage is slanted toward their homeland, but if your country doesn't have a lot of Winter (or Summer) Olympians, what do they show? I for one would rather see more of the world's best in obscure sports that I never get to see. I lived in L.A. in 1984 during the Olympics and went to see some sports I never even knew existed (Team Handball [​IMG] final between West Germany and Denmark, I think). With the proliferation of cable channels, I think someone should revive NBC's "Triplecast" idea and have multiple channels showing different events.

15. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Summer. More basketball for me to watch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Snow --- Canada --- Hockey --- Winter

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I would say Summer Olympics is easily the best.

Track and Field is awesome espicially the sprints. High jump, poll vaulting, long jump. Also, Gymnastics is incredable to watch also, plus womens vollyball.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    To expunge on my initial post, what I like about both:

Summer: volleyball, Table Tennis (is this summer??), Fencing (is this summer?), swimming, diving

Winter: skiing (aerials, downhill, etc), curling, biathlon, hockey, bobsled, Luge, Skeletons, ski jumping...

I would love to see all the sports that aren't televised that often, especially Table Tennis and Fencing. However, as a whole, I like the Winter olympics better as a spectator sport, hockey is something that you can get on TV, but watching the teams as a nation is exciting, so although one can watch the NHL on TV, the olympic hockey is pretty cool.

Jay

19. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Jay,

20. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I'm going to have to go with Winter Olympics I went to high school in Lake Placid New York and was on the girls hockey team so anything related to hockey and snow are up my alley. As a side note, living in Lake Placid where we beat the Russians in hockey and playing in that very same arena...watching celeb figure skaters on quiet days when no one else was around.. those are fond memories so watching the winter olympics kind of brings those things back to me in a small way.
    GO USA!!![​IMG]