What's better, the Pioneer PRO-720 HD Elite, or the Mitsubishi WS-65809?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_D_A, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Chris_D_A

Chris_D_A Auditioning

UPDATE
    I meant WS65908! NOT WS65809
    These two TVs appear to be in the same class, boasting similar features. By the way, what is that D-Sub 15 pin plug on the Pioneer that *looks* like a VGA plug? It says RGB, but does that mean it will accept a VGA signal?
    Anyway, I have narrowed down my search to these two TVs. So which one is better? My previous post details my plans for useage ;-)
    -Chris

2. SamN

SamN Agent

Hi, I am sure you will get tons of input on both sets but I give my vote to the Pioneer. The Elite sets are truly in a league of their own, IMO. Also, you can input a PC directly into the connector on the Pioneer, albeit the PC has to be tweaked and setup properly. This does avoid you the cost of buying a VGA-Component convertor, if you choose to go with a HTPC.

3. Chris_D_A

Chris_D_A Auditioning

SamN, you mentioned I could do some tweaking to get my PC to output a signal that is understood and rendered by the Pioneer Elite series TV I discussed.
    I am rather PC savvy ([and] just excited about computers in general), so please expand on this ;-)
    I currently have a GeForce3 that has S Video and Composite TV Out. I'd like to "keep things digital" and use the actual monitor output on it (and thus the VGA-in on the TV). I know that technically this is an analog signal, but it's higher quality than the Svideo and composite outs that it has.
    Now I also have a GeForce2 Ultra that has a DVI out. If I'm going to be tweaking anything, maybe I should use this card and this output to "keep things digital" further along the chain toward the TV.
    In any event, what did you have in mind for tweaking my signal? I've been saving up a lot of money for this project and I want to do it *right* which I understand may not be cheap. So if I need to buy components, that's fine. Bottom line is I want as crisp a vga signal I can possibly get to that TV without having to buy a fancy-schmancy Mitsubishi DLP [​IMG]
    -Chris

4. Brian G

Brian G Extra

I've been favoring the Pioneer HD710 for quite some while, especially with the year end price drops, however I noticed the HD720 are not selling for much more, so now I'm thinking the HD720. Have you done much research on the HD720 improvements over the HD710 including the progressive anamorphic lock in problem.

5. Chris_D_A

Chris_D_A Auditioning

I don't even know what the "progressive anamorphic lock-in problem" is! By the sound of it, it sounds like it's displaying certain movies, or maybe movies with a certain aspect ratio and screen format, in the wrong format?

I have no idea if this TV has any problems like that. Anyone else? What about the Mitsubishi ws65908?

Humbly,

Chris

6. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

The "lock into FULL" mode only applies to progressive scan (480p) signals through the component video inputs. The Pioneer (and other brands as well) will automatically go into "FULL" (Widescreen) mode when a progressive scan dvd player is used. For ANAMORPHIC DVDS, this is not a problem, but for non-anamorphic widescreen and full screen dvds, the images will appear distorted because they were note meant to be viewed in the "FULL" mode.

"Titanic" and "Armaggeddon" are a couple of well known titles that are only available in non-anamorphic and would appear distorted on the Pioneer sets if being played from a progressive scan dvd player. (Distorted meaning everything will look stretched WIDE/FAT)

Toshiba was one of the few sets that were an exception to this. The user was able to set the aspect ratio of the display regardless of the input signal.

I've helped out a lot of friends purchase RPTVs over the last 5+ years. I favored Toshiba a lot (until this year's models) and Pioneer Elite (for those homeowners who are not as dvd saavy, have the $$$ to spend and want the best looking). Out of the box, the Pioneer ELITES look the best for NTSC images. The picture doesn't seem as soft as many of the other brands. Again, I recommend it for casual dvd viewers who want a set for the long run and aren't afraid of spending a few extra bucks. The channel changes are FAST compared to Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and especially Panasonic and the picture looks rock solid without too much digital ghosting. POP is also fast without the blackout delay that you get on many of the HD ready sets. Therefore, usability for the PIONEER is TOPS. The Remote is just OK, but at least the channel and volume buttons are easy to push.

One thing,though. My ISF guy (the most prestigious Robert Busch) charges more for the Pioneers (and Sonys) because of all of the work it takes to get into the set - more panels, etc. In addition, calibration itself is a bit more time consuming if you decide to take it to that level.

I've scoffed at Mitsubishi over the last few years, but am unfamiliar with their latest models. I just didn't have a good impression of them in all of the stores that I have seen them in. Perhaps they have been improved.

Elbert

7. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

You may want to check out the Pioneer forum over at www.hometheaterspot.com. There are several discussions comparing the 710 with the 720. There are divided opinions on which is better. Since the 720 is the latest model, it has a few enhancements over the 710 (including fixing the lock problem). On the other hand, some are complaining that the 720's line doubler has some problems. [​IMG]
    Combining a 710 with an anamorphic DVD player that can scale (like the RP91) may be the way to go.
    Todd

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Just so it's clear, the lock in FULL problem is a "feature" of some sets. It is not a defect in manufacturing or anything. It's how they are designed.

Now, to solve it, use a DVD player that scales non-anamoporphic material like the Panasonic RP91 with a RPTV (like Pioneer) that locks in FULL mode when the source is in progressive scan. It makes this problem a non-issue, and the side benefit is that you don't have to manually change screen modes for supplemental material, etc. Just leave the set in FULL mode and off you go.

I have an Elite 610 and am very satisfied. Mitsubishi RPTVs are notorious for having a color decoder that has too much push, although the problem can be solved with an attenuator. Do a search at hometheaterspot forum on "red push" and you'll get a lot of information.