What's new

What's better than waking up and realizing you have off? (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Driving to work and realizing you have off :) Yeah, I work for the federal govt. and didn't know I had off :b
Mike D.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
...not having Veteran's day, Columbus Day, President's Day etc... off so we could have the week between Xmas and New Years off! (company policy) :D
--
Holadem

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Well it's sure not being told that you have to work on your only day off. The club I work for is closed today, not because of Veteran's Day, but because they are always closed on Mondays but I have to go in today for 6 hours nonetheless.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For school, we had a teacher's convention in Jersey City on thursday and friday, so everyone had those days off. We originally didn't have today off, but the teachers petitioned for it (they're also in a contract dispute with the Board of Ed) so we got today off, too.

That's 5 days off.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I think I dislike all of you that are off today. ;)
Well for those of us that have to work today I feel for you.
KyleS

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I had to come to work. It actually says in our employee handbook that our company will only give a maximum of 6 holidays per year:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day
:frowning: :frowning:
And, to make matters worse, our benefits year coincides with the calender year. This means, all paid leave MUST be taken by Dec 31, so that we can't take any leave after New Years. I sooo don't want to go back to work Jan 2.

KyleS

Screenwriter
so that we can't take any leave after New Years. I sooo don't want to go back to work Jan 2.
Sure you can Leila you just have to burn some days from the following years Vacation time. :)
I hated the companies I worked for that did vacation that day instead of your anniversary date because its simply called being lazy. If they have a program like Horizon (Or many others) they can easily track and have the additional days go away at your date of hire from previous years.
KyleS

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Actually Kyle, you can't "borrow" paid leave unless you are sick with a doctors note at my company :frowning: We don't have sick and annual leave, its all just "paid time off" lumped into one category for however we want. But the catcher is, you have to acrue it first or you have to be sick and are penalized (ie written up).
Actually my company was never like this until recently. We have extremely high turnover so there was a lot of abuses of the "borrowed" time. People would borrow time (up to 40 hrs allowed), then stop showing up for work. If they had any pay they hadn't collected yet it was taken out of that, but usually people bailed right after payday. It was a scam, but people ended up getting paid for a week they never worked.
So, they initiated these new rules. Also, time off for exempt employees used to run the same time frame as medical benefits so the "turnover" time was the same as open enrollment in June. This year, though, they changed things so actually this December will have been 18 months I've been saving leave. I'm not sure, though, why they switched this. Probably some analyst told them it would save a lot of money.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You could get REALLY drunk on New Years, throw up all over the place, get sick, and get a doctor's note :)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Man that sucks. So you have to acrue your time? That is not a way to do vacation unless it just rolls over from year to year or for basically the first month or so you cant take ANY vacation. If this is how your company works Leila then I feel for you. I am so glad I am on Salary (And dont work more then 50 hours per week max) with 3 weeks paid vacation that I can use at anytime.

KyleS

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Kyle, yes it does suck. I'm on salary too and get 18 days paid time a year. But, I acrue a few hours every pay period, so at the end of the year I have the 18 days. But, I can't take the leave until I've already acrued it. Makes real sense. . .especially now that we have the problem that when October rolls around, EVERYONE is trying to take leave at the same time and we're short staffed until January. But, other than that complain (oh and the low wage, go figure) my company is excellent. Very flexible, great people, and plenty of surfing time ;)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
...and here I thought you wanted an answer!

What's better than waking up and realizing you have off?

Finding your SO or dream 'girl/boy/man/woman/whatever' lying next to you!

Glenn

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm, I suppose this is why no one else on my block put out their trash tonight. On national holidays, the it's picked up a day later. So I suppose I'm the idiot this time.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Today my co-workers deemed me "idiot of the month". Ahhh, I strive to be the best :)
The positive is I have to leave work early today, and since I put in a few hours yesterday, I won't have to use my personal leave. :emoji_thumbsup:
Mike D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks