What's new

What's better - Coaxial cable or composite? (1 Viewer)

I've got my digital cable box outputting svideo, analog audio and digital audio to my receiver (so that the receiver can auto-switch when I'm on a cable channel with no digtal signal). The only option left to output to my VCR is the coaxial cable out from the cable box. Am I losing any signal by doing this?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, you probably are losing some signal, since the cable box has already done the work of extracting the video and audio signals, and now the VCR has to do some of that all over again. But since it's VHS, there probably isn't enough resolution to pick up the difference.

M.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark,

Does the cable box have a composite video out in addition to the S-video out? If so, there is a good chance it is active along with the S-video out (at least it is with my S-VHS VCRs). Try running the composite video to the VCR. For audio you could use “y” splitters on the analog audio jacks (of the cable box) and send one side to the VCR and the other to the receiver, as you already have done.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Depending on the quality of the comb filter in the cable box (needed to make S-video out of analog channels) the video via the antenna output may be better than via S-video for analog channels, if any! But don't bother to use the antenna coax output if there is a composite output jack.
Try it both ways and see. You will have to keep the S-video cable connected for best viewing of video that was never composite in its earlier lifetime.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks