What's new

What's better? 2 20-39cs's or 1 PB2 plus sub? (1 Viewer)

AndyN

Agent
Anyone with ideas? I'm thinking of either getting a second 20-39cs or getting the PB2plus. Two subs would potentially be more flexible but I assume placement issues come into play. Which would give me more output in a fairly large room?

thanks,

andy

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
There have been some interesting recent articles and tech papers about subwoofer placement.

While corner placement provides the highest SPL, it doesn't always necessarily yield the smoothest in-room response.

Co-located dual subs will yield about 3 dB more output than separately placed dual subs. But these articles suggest that experimenting with the dual subs in separate locations can sometimes provide a smoother in-room response at more listening locations.

Subwoofers and real estate have three things in common: Location, location, location. Maybe these articles will help you on placement issues.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers&RoomsPt3.pdf
http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003

The PB2-Plus employs two dB-12 "Plus" drivers, and the 20-39CS uses the Improved Standard Driver (ISD). The dB-12 provides a 5-6 dB maximum output advantage over the ISD below 30 Hz. Above 30 Hz, it is more like a 3 dB advantage in max output.

Compared to dual co-located 20-39CS subs driven with 300-350 watts each, the PB2+ has 50% more port area, more powerful woofers, and more amplifier power. In stock tune, I would expect the PB2+ to have considerably more output capability than dual co-located 20-39CS subs at all frequencies above 22-23 Hz. Check with Tom V at SVS to confirm, of course.

Regards,

Ed

AndyN

Agent
Thanks Ed, very informative answer. Better output down low. And less placement issues. Now all I have to do is sell the 20-39.

Unless, I totally misread your post.

Thanks, again.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks