What's better? 2 20-39cs's or 1 PB2 plus sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AndyN, Jun 14, 2003.

1. AndyN

AndyN Agent

Anyone with ideas? I'm thinking of either getting a second 20-39cs or getting the PB2plus. Two subs would potentially be more flexible but I assume placement issues come into play. Which would give me more output in a fairly large room?

thanks,

andy

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

There have been some interesting recent articles and tech papers about subwoofer placement.

While corner placement provides the highest SPL, it doesn't always necessarily yield the smoothest in-room response.

Co-located dual subs will yield about 3 dB more output than separately placed dual subs. But these articles suggest that experimenting with the dual subs in separate locations can sometimes provide a smoother in-room response at more listening locations.

Subwoofers and real estate have three things in common: Location, location, location. Maybe these articles will help you on placement issues.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers&RoomsPt3.pdf
    http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003

The PB2-Plus employs two dB-12 "Plus" drivers, and the 20-39CS uses the Improved Standard Driver (ISD). The dB-12 provides a 5-6 dB maximum output advantage over the ISD below 30 Hz. Above 30 Hz, it is more like a 3 dB advantage in max output.

Compared to dual co-located 20-39CS subs driven with 300-350 watts each, the PB2+ has 50% more port area, more powerful woofers, and more amplifier power. In stock tune, I would expect the PB2+ to have considerably more output capability than dual co-located 20-39CS subs at all frequencies above 22-23 Hz. Check with Tom V at SVS to confirm, of course.

Regards,

Ed

3. AndyN

AndyN Agent

Thanks Ed, very informative answer. Better output down low. And less placement issues. Now all I have to do is sell the 20-39.

Unless, I totally misread your post.

Thanks, again.

Andy