What's new

What's best TV for Direct TV viewing?? (2 Viewers)

BrentB

Grip
I went to BestBuy and am totally confused about what they have to offer. I watch primarily Direct TV,and don't even have a DVD player(though that may change when I buy my new set)I'm looking to spend $1300-$2200 and want a great picture that I don't have to screw around with too much to get a great picture,basically one that fairly good right out of the box. I've been watching on my old toshiba 32" for nearly 4 yrs now and want a set that will last me for another 4 yrs.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
The direct view set that I'm most impressed with right now is the Panasonic Tau units (in both 32" and 36") and the Hitachi. Both of these companies have produced great sets in the 1200-1500 range. I comparo'ed the Tau right next to a Sony WEGA and the Tau smoked it.
------------------
Jeff Leeds
[email protected]

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Jeff, actually, when I compared the Tau next to the WEGA myself, I saw many MPEG artifacting problems and a fuzzy picture on the Tau (from a DVD source). However, for the WEGA, everything was crystal clear. I'd say go for the WEGA. :)
- Brian

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
If you wait a little bit, Toshiba will also be releasing it's line of flat tubes in the 27, 32, and 36 sizes. I assume they're meant to compete with the JVC I'Arts, the Panasonic Taus and the Sony Wegas.
cheers,
--tom

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I guess I'll cast a vote.
I'm a very satisfied Sony WEGA owner (36FS-16).
I paid $1350 but if you don't want p-icture-in-picture you can knock off $75-$100.
The Enhanced 16:9 feature is absolutely awesome.
DVD's seem to jump off the screen.
I got the "FS" model mainly due to limited space in my entertaiment unit. The "FV" model has the speakers on the side and was too wide for my unit's dimensions.
Also, I believe that the main difference between the "FS" & "FV" models was the comb filter (digital vs 3D) and the speakers (10W vs 5W). Although I remember a discussion a few months ago where someone (Abdul Jalib maybe??) posted that the comb filter is not in use for component inputs (like a DVD player) and also S-Video (like a satellite receiver). So for me, I was able to go to a 36" model for what I would have paid for the 32" "FV" model.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
JB
"This is Chuck reminding Bill to shut up!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks