What's B&W's LCR6 center speaker like?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lewis_W, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Lewis_W

Lewis_W Agent

I'm on the brink of buying the LCR6 center speaker to replace my CC6. I find that my CC6 sounds too boxy and closed in when I play at high volumes.
    What's peoples opinions on this speaker?
    Cheers,
    Lewis.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Good speaker but it needs to be placed vertically to get wide horizontal dispersion. If you watch movies alone and just need a good middle seat it's fine. If you have people sitting off-center it's a poor performer (when placed horizontally).
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I think the LCR6 would be a good step up from the cc6. I've had and lcr6 before I upgraded and thought the sound was very good and the dialog was clear.
    I'm not sure of being off center because my couch is directly in front of the tv. I do think this would be a good upgrade for you.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have a LCR6 matched with 604 S2 mains. I tried the CC6 center speaker initially with this setup, but the smaller CC6 seemed to get overpowered by the tower 604's (even when calibrated with Avia and a SPL meter). The LCR6 was a noticable improvement for my setup.
    As for the off-axis statements, our seating arrangement is such that this is a non-issue. We are 12 feet from the speaker, and sit directly in front of the TV. Even the secondary seating positions are only about 10-20 degrees off-center.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7
    [Edited last by Scott Merryfield on July 16, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I would buy the CDMCNT for only $100 more.

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"I would buy the CDMCNT for only $100 more"
    Rodney,
    I believe that the CDMCNT and the HTM-1 use the same drivers as the LCR6. It looks a little nicer, but performance-wise, I believe they are very close.
    Jeremy

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I had (actually still have) an LCR6 S2 and it's fine. The off-axis issue didn't really come up in my setup.
    The upgrade to the CDM CNT looks like a pretty big step up for not much money, though. I can't quite warm up to the looks (height) of the CDM, which is part of the reason I'm now using a HTM2, but I imagine it looks quite nice in a lot of applications.

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

NO, the drivers are not the same, they are SIMILAR (slightly different), and the tweeter is different as well. The tweeter and driver are actually the EXACT same as the 805 and HTM2, so you get nautilus drivers/tweeter for ONLY $100 more than a LCR6, which uses "Nautilus TECHNOLOGY" (which happens to be slightly different.) Does that make sense. The only problem I find is that you may like the center so much more than the 600 series mains, your next mod will be the moving to cdm or 800 series mains (thats what happen to me, at least b&ws get good $$ on ebay). GOOD LUCK.

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Get the CDM Center. You won't be disappointed, except maybe for your mains [​IMG]

10. Jeff_N

Jeff_N Agent

I spoke with a B&W rep recently because I was also looking at upgrading my CC6 center with the LCR6 center. He indicated that there would be a big difference. When I asked about upgrading to the CDMCNT, he said that I should not put that center with my 602 mains. In fact, he was adamant that I should definately not go with the CDM center with 602 mains. It was only a $80 difference, but I took his advice, and I am very happy with the LCR6.
    I told him that I was probably upgrading to the CDM series in 12 - 18 months, but he said it would be best to upgrade everything at one time because a new driver might be out before then.