What's a stable, economical motherboard for AMD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Marty Christion, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to upgrade my processor, and I need a motherboard recommendation. I don't need SATA, RAID, onboard video, sound, or firewire. Heck, I don't even need onboard LAN, but that would probably be nice.

I just want the best performance and rock solid stability. I don't even overclock.

Is there a standout board that is head and shoulders above the rest? I have an EPOX 8RDA, but the new NVIDIA IDE driver hasn't impressed me (it's screwy with Nero). But I will still take nforce over VIA (I hated my last VIA board years ago).

Anyway, recommendations are needed. I was planning on an AthlonXP 2700+ chip, since that seems to be the best value. Is it worth the cost to go up from there?

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Good boards cheap at a high value:

ECS NU2400: Nforce2 board without any thrills.

The Albatron KX18D is an Nforce2 Ultra board for less then $70 almost anywhere.

Biostar M7NCD board is another NF2 Ultra board less then $70

Any of those are good picks.

If you want a board that isn't NF2, but is an -excellent- performer, you might look for an SIS748 chipset board.

Boards like the Gigabyte are a great boards, with a chipset that performs very, very well.. and less then $50!

I tell a lot of people to seriously look at the SIS748 chipset right now, because the performance is high on the bang for the buck value.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have an ECS, great value for the money. Running fine, very stable since the day i got it... no huge problems...

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yep I've used about 4 of the ECS k75ProA boards they work fantastic

5. I'll second gigabyte. I've had 2 of them and they have both been great with AMD and a nVidia card I have.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'd be careful with ECS. I bought a K5S7A Pro based on reading just a few reviews. I got it and it seemed OK at first. Unfortunately I soon found out that the on-board audio and the AGP slot didn't work. I started looking around more online and found that these are common problems with the board. It seems they have a little trouble with QC at ECS. Some of their boards turn out great and make excellent boards, but then some (like mine) do not work completely. They are cheap, however, so if you plan not to use an AGP card or the onboard audio then you can find good deals on them (I got mine for about $40 new.

7. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

anything with the NF2 chipset.

I run a couple ESC boards with no problems but they can be a little pickey about RAM.

8. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I bought a Shuttle AN35N-Ultra a couple of months ago and it works great. Currently running an AMD 2500+ overclocked to a 3200+ with 1GB DRAM in dual channel. The board is currently $61.99 at Newegg Shuttle AN35N-Ultra

9. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

anything with an nforce2 chipset preferably made buy abit or asus,shuttle,or soyo to name a few,if you dont want any problems with it, ECS boards have a ton of problems if you do a goodle search on them you will see what i mean. [​IMG]

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

*laugh* realize, as someone who works in distribution, I'll tell you a little secret.. lots of ECS partner boards get passed off as ECS (in fact are not) but based on same basic design.

ECS is the second largest MB manufacturing company in the world; we sell more ECS through our distribution channel then anything but ASUS.. we're talking THOUSANDS of boards weekly in each market.

ECS has a fail rate, that's for sure, but I can't say it's "way" higher then any other product (example: highest failrate board right now is the Asrock K7VM4 in all markets)

The reality is, if you sell more boards then you have more returns. The K7S5A Pro and Original are, by a long margin, the top selling AMD based boards (ever) with over 2,000,000 units sold through our distribution channel alone.

[​IMG]

This isn't saying they don't have bad boards (have and do, and many use their boards hoping for gamer type effect and don't get it since they don't OC) but sometimes they get a bad rap for the negatives, when, for the quantity that gets sold, it's about in line.