What's a Marquee 8501LC worth these days?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dennis Nicholls, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Somehow I'm just not as big a HT guy as I was several years ago. I'm thinking of selling off my CRT projector, and maybe "downsizing" to a DLP RPTV.

The problem is that I haven't the foggiest idea what my projector is worth these days. It's an Electrohome Marquee 8501LC, with 8" liquid-coupled CRTs. Mfg. date of July 1996. Purchased second-hand from Boston University with about 3K hours, has about 6K hours now. There is still life in the tubes but should be retubed one of these days. Has the Tim Martin power supply mods and the 16:9 shrink mod. Would come with the "Chief" ceiling mount, wireless remote (rare!), and several manuals.

What would you guess would be a fair price for this projector? Since AVS Forum now charges just to LOOK at the classifieds, I can't look through there and get a feeling for the market price. EDIT: I see AVS has recently changed their policy.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

No - AVS Forum only charges to post to their classified section and read a special "Club" Power Buy area. All ads can be viewed by anyone, Club or AVS Forum member or not.

As for what your projector is worth, I am not the expert. Be aware that CRTs have taken quite a nose dive from when you got yours. Only 9" models hold any real value nowadays. My opinion is that I very much doubt that you could get more than $1,000 and may have to accept quite a bit less. Go over to the CRT section on AVS Forum and ask - others do, and you'll get a more informed response.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

An LC 8500 is worth quite a bit more off the bat than a non-LC 8500 because the lens-mounting plates and hardware are different than the non-LC 8500, and are instead those used in the 9500. Which means that you can drop in 9-inch tubes without any modifications to the chassis itself. This will boost your potential sale price considerably. The tube condition as it stands now probably isn't a huge deal, with 6k hours it probably will need to be retubed, but even then it is probably worth a few thousand since it's an 8500LC.

If the tubes are in good condition it may be worth a little bit more, but this seems unlikely. Fortunately for you, the 8500LC price won't hinge so heavily on just the condition of the tubes because the chassis itself is basically a 9500 with 80inch guns in it, and that is worth a pretty penny even with no tubes in it at all.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Chris,

So asking about $2K with extras would be reasonable in your opinion? That would be recovering over half of my costs so naturally I'd be pleased. It really is in clean shape other than the wear on the tubes.

Maybe I'll cough up the $35 and run an ad over on AVS. I'd really like to sell locally however....I would hate to deal with a disappointed distant purchaser. I'd rather someone come by for a demo, buy it, and haul it away.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If the chassis is functioning properly, that kind of price would interest me, actually. I would be surprise if that didn't move almost immediately at that price, because you have to think what a mint condition 9500LC is worth, and just add 3K for tubes to the price of your machine. so 5K for a 9500LC in mint condition is a pretty incredible deal, if you ask me. Listing on AVS is probably your best bet for knowledgeable buyers, ebay is a bit annoying sometimes. I am in the bay area right now, and visit frequently, let me know if you should have any difficulty selling it...

6. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

If you have not already sold it, you might want to list it on www.videogon.com as well as www.craigslist.com

Videogon is a favorite buying/selling resource for CRT minded enthusiast, but Craig's List caters to selling and buying merchandise locally.

I am also curious what an 8500LC sells for nowadays, so if you don't mind, let us know what you were able to get for it.