What's a hemmie?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jan 23, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Sorry to sound stupid, but I don't know much about autos, and that Dodge commercial with the guys asking about a hemmie got me wondering what it is.

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The correct spelling is "Hemi", referring to a hemispherical combustion chamber. It's a type of V-8 engine made by Chrysler. Do a Google search.

3. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

That is a pretty humorous commercial spot.

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

it's a big ol dodge V8 that first appeared over 40 yrs ago

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I know a bunch about cars and stuff, but i stil dont get what makes a Hemi (i know its hemispherical) more powerful than a normal-cylindered engine?

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The reason the Hemi made more HP is better airflow in and out. The valves could be mounted at an angle with the sparkplug in the center of the "dome". Previous valve designs went straight up and down. With the angled valves you could better align the intake and exhaust ports. Most modern engines are made this way.

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

In addtion to valve placement as mentioned above, when pressure builds, the most efficient chamber to hold it is a sphere because the pressure is distributed evenly on all surfaces (i.e. it takes less material to hold a higher pressure). Because the combustion chamber is an almost perfect hemisphere, the even distribution of gasses before and after combustion allows for a cleaner burn and a uniform, efficient pressure upon the cylinder. Similarly, the hemispherical chamber allows the explosive burn to exert the highest possible pressure upon the cylinder head. Thus, a higher compression engine is possible and you get more efficiency from that pressure, thus more power from each stroke.

To sum up, it mixes better and pressurizes better and you can build a stronger head with the same or less materials (or a super strong head from more materials in the case of Chrysler), so that translates to more power.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

As Dennis said, virtually all modern multi-valve engines are designed this way. Ports line up better with the valves, central spark location for most efficient combustion.
    The big disadvantage, is that the head is physically much larger than a "wedge-type" cylinder head (a la small block Chevy, LT1, LS1, or Ford 5.0s). This can make the engine substantially more difficult to fit into small engine bays, under low hoodlines.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ah, i get it now [​IMG]

11. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Speaking of Hemis...

Have any of you driven the new Ram 2500 with the Hemi? I test-drove one a few weeks ago. I liked the feel of the truck, but I was hoping it would be faster. Even unloaded, the 2500 is a heavy truck, so that's probably the culprit. I'm looking forward to driving the 1500 truck when the Hemi becomes available in it. It's something like 800 pounds lighter, so it should really move.

12. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

If they put it in a car, I'd think about it, but buying a truck for performance always lets you down. Even the Ford Lightning that I've been in was somewhat of a disappointment compared to a normal sports sedan or sports car.

Bring back the 440 Wedge, and then we might be talking... My uncle had an old police car with the 440W in it (the carburetor looked like a toilet bowl, it was so big) and that thing would move.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If I remember right, the protagonist (unless you are rooting for the guy with the evil ball!) of Phantasm 1&2 drives a pretty sweet Hemi-cuda...

Sam

14. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

DODGE MAGNUM SRT-8 [​IMG]
    430 hp,5.7L Hemi,
    Coming in 2004. [​IMG]

15. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I always like learning.

16. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

17. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    What is the historical reference to a dodge/chrysler magnum? I was reading an article about the new hemi and the author (a car magazine writer) was talking about the irony of a dodge magnum hemi. It sounded like when the original hemi was around, there was also a chrysler engine that was a magnum, so you either had a hemi OR a magnum, not both. It appears that dodge wanted to capitalize on both namesakes this time around.

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The Dodge Magnum was a car not an engine. Bascally, it was a failed underpowered luxo-cruiser of the late 70's which most definatly never came with a Hemi. Sort of Dodge's version of the oversized late 70's T-bird with the opera windows and the vinyl roof.

19. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

The Magnum name was used on the non-hemi performance engines that chrysler offered in the late 60's and early 70's. Magnum 440, magnum 383, etc... Apparently chrysler has now decided to use the magnum name on all of its performance engines including the hemi. Chrysler also used the name Super Commando on its engines, just can't remember which make(dodge, plymouth) got which name.

20. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I had a hemmi once, the doc lanced it [​IMG] . Damn that hurt, Oh wait that was a Hemmo :b