What's a good touring/racing bike for <$1000?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I would like to do a few century rides but is more interested in races under 50 miles (ex. triathalon relays). Any recommendations? I'm 6'3, 200 lbs if that makes a difference.

2. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

Too bad I did not read this a couple of days ago. I had a R800 Cannondale that I was selling. I am 6'3" as well, but I weigh 320. That is why I sold it, it hurt too much to ride. I am going to get a comfort bike. I used it to do a century ride in Maryland. Excellent bike, go for a Cannondale.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The Lemond Nevada City and the Trek 1000 are worth a look. My friend almost got the Lemond recently, but got an even better deal on the KHS Flite 500, which is very similar to the Lemond.

http://www.khsbicycles.com/flite500.html

He paid $580 plus tax, which is pretty good. That would leave you plenty left to get a pair of aerobars for time trials.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    But you're not getting a specialized Triathlon bike are you? Many tri bikes are made sort of similar to time trial bikes, all aerodynamic and typically having a forward seating position (i.e. steeper seat tube angle) which puts the body more forward which utilizes different muscles in the legs/butt which benefit triathletes who have to be able to run fast in the run leg.

If you're looking at a specialized tri bike or perhaps even a combination road/tri bike, check out the Cervelo Soloist. It's a bit over your price range (new) but perhaps can be found used for less.

Be careful of just putting aerobars on a road bike. Not always works out right, since the geometry has to be correct for a forward seating postion and aero bars to feel comfortable and for handling. At your size, it's probably moot, but for me at a small 5'4" an integrated headset would be something I'd be looking for in a tri bike w/ aero bars because the int. headset will allow for a smaller stack height (the height of the stem above the headtube). Traditional headsets will increse the effective headtube length on bikes because of the added lower and upper cup the bearings are seated on. A shorter bike will need a shorter headtube length for a Tri bike so an int. headset is a good thing in this case. At 6'3' you'll be OK with either, although it seems more mfgrs (except Colnago) are coming out with int. designs these days.

Other bikes which you might try to find that aren't going to break the wallet:

Fuji Team.. A scandium bike which is super lite and relatively inexpensive. Seen a friend's Team and it is quite light, rigid and race ready.

Giant makes a real nice line of bikes from the inexpensive to the super expensive. Thir OCR and TCR lines seem to be priced good and since Giant is literally a giant bike company and without the name of Trek, they tend to be good bargains.

Otherwise, find a good fitting bike from any of the various manufacturers, hopefully with a mix of Ultegra/105 or Chorus (depending if you're a Shimano or Campag fan) components and enjoy...

Jay

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks for the info guys, I will be doing some research with your leads over the next few weeks.

For some reason I thought we had more bikers on this forum.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    There are, they're all just hiding! [​IMG]

My madness continues... I just bought a Look KG381i with full Campy Record 10-spd. Have never owned a Campag. equipped bike but I figure Ergo is not much different between STI, ergo just uses thumb shifters. But there is not much history behind Shimano as there is with Campagnola. Up until Lance, every TdF has been won with Campy equipment and historically, Campy does a whole lot better job with parts and product support.

Let us know how your search goes...

If you currently have a bike and know it's geometry, you may want to try the classified sections of say roadbikereview.com, they always have a ton of classifides. Otherwise, try to find closeouts. Try to go in september/october where stores are trying to sell stock. Or even if you have a store that sells ski stuff in winter and bikes in summer, they may be willing to get rid of some inventory to make room for skis...

Jay.

7. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

We do. I just can't think of a

8. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Another place to check for used bikes is ebay. That's where I picked up my road bike. You do have to be sure that the bike will fit you, the only reason I bought my bike is that a buddy has that exact same bike (old Specialized Epic Allez) which I was able to ride & determine it fits me really well. Test ride a bunch of bikes at local stores, then see what crops up on ebay.

Andrej

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I'm taking a serious look at the KHS Flite 500. I just need to find a local distributor to take it out for a test ride, etc. Thanks for everyone's tips.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Good Luck, just be flexible and don't be so fixed on that certain model, I don't think I have ever gone into a bikeshop looking for a bike and left with the same bike I started to look at. Maybe except for my Seven but then again, that's a custom frame. Looks like you'll have some money left over for accessories like a good helmet and tools, etc.

A good tire is important too for races, make sure you keep the PSI pretty high for races and know the limits of the tire when wet, when dry since you can't predict the weather during races, alot of tires that are good in the dry can be dicey in the wet.

A pretty good tire that I've used in the wet/dry is the Continental GP3000 or the cheaper Ultra2000. The GP3000 is very good in all conditions and I've had mine last me fairly long. Just like car tires, the softer grippier tires tend not to last as long as others..

Good luck in any case.

Jay

11. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Jay's recommendation for the Continental Grand Prix tires, I have a set on my roadie and like them quite a bit. Mebbe about 500 miles total so far, no flats.

Andrej