WHATS A GOOD SUBWOOFER FOR 400-480 DOLLARS

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MiguelP, Sep 27, 2006.

1. MiguelP

MiguelP Stunt Coordinator

I know this forums is all about SVS Subwoofers,but I don't want a SVS Subwoofer their cheapest ones dont even have High filter and low filter terminals which is the PBS-10. I know it sounds good like what everyone says,but I'm not a SVS guy.

Anyone knows a good powerful subwoofer for 400-480 dollars?

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

HSU STF-2. I think this a great sub for the money. Lucky for me I only paid $70 mine. It gets low, it has a good low-pass filter, adjustable down to 30hz. It is also quite punchy for a ported sub.

3. MiguelP

Isnt HSU and SVS pretty much the same?

Tell me this its only 200 watts,but does watts really matter? Where did you get it for 70bucks?

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I have not listened to SVS myself.

Wattage can matter and at the same time not matter, if you know what I mean. The STF-2 has I nice amount of power. It is probably a more honest rating than many other subs out there. Athena Tech claims one of their subs has 400 watts where it is closer to 100 watts.

I got mine at a Pawn shop that didn't know what they had. If the pawn shop had known or the person who sold it to the pawn shop had known the sub would have been purchased for closer to how much I paid for it from the seller and the pawn shop would have sold it for probably $200 or more. Cash America Pawn is national pawnbroker, We have 4 of them in the Fort Wayne, Allen County, IN area.

I also got an M&K MX-100 at a pawn shop for $350 which originally retailed for $1200. That sub is awesome, or was when it worked. Unfortunatelly the power supply went belly up on me.

If you know what to look for, you can find some great stuff for not so much money. Where do you live, maybe I can help you find a pawnshop in your area.

5. MiguelP

OMg dude thanks alot yo!

I live in Glendale, AZ

Well Sound&Vision said

" Why Boast for a 1000 watt subwoofer if another sub can recieve the same result with 100 watts, your just paying more for your electric bill"

Unfortunately Ive been to several pawn shops out here,but not all of them and they sell some really sorry speaker systems.

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

That is excellent, not about the pawn shop but the Sound&Vision article.

My M&K claims to have a very underated wattage. I am not sure what it is, but it is somewhere between 100-200 watts. I also have a Sunfire Truesub that claims to have 1000watts of power. It cannot touch the M&K on depth, accuracy, and SPL's. The only advantage the Sunfire has is size, it looks like a tick next to the M&K.

7. MiguelP

DUDE HOW MANY FREAKN SUBWOOFERS DO YOU HAVE?

Dude all those subwoofers are Hi-end stuff man!! Especially sunfire subwoofers they range from 1000 dollars to more.

They are some other subs that are small and compact and can own other bigger subwoofers. I cant recall any brand names,but I know somewhere out there subs that are small can kick some serious bass.

Ive seen the Sunfire true subwoofer at my local dealership and its a pretty small subwoofer. I saw it when I bought my Def Tech Prosub 200TL and the guy pointed out the small subwoofer as a secondary recommendation,but didnt have the money for that kind of subwoofer. He gave me a demo, no offense dude,but the sunfire is way too boommy for me.

As for the pawn shop actually we do have a thing called Super Pawn,but im not sure if thats affiliated with Cash America Pawn. I doubt I will have your luck into finding a good subwoofer.

I really want an SVS,but I cant afford the ones that I want...thats why I dont want an SVS anymore. The PB-10 sounds convincing but its missing some features.

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

No offense taken, I don't really like the Sunfire myself. The HSU STF-2 may not match it on volume, btu it does sound better, IMO. I have also never paid more than $500 for a sub. Have you looked at Velodyne subs in your budget range?

9. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

Why not just save up more coin for the SVS? i have a Velodyne CHT 12 you can have for $125.00, i live in Tucson.

10. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Why are you worried about high pass filters (or low pass) when in 99.9% of home theaters they are turned off in lieu of the superior bass handling present in modern digital receivers? The crossovers in the sub wreak havoc with the crossovers in the receiver if used together; causing steeper rolloffs and possible nulls, which is why most people turn them off for all but the most intrinsic installations.

11. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Low pass filters on subs are easier to make fine tune adjustments. By using test tones you can integrate a sub into a system without to much hassle. The only beef I have is Phase adjustments, they are tricky and can make subs very difficult to place. I never found the right thing for my sunfire nor my paradigm subs. Receiver crossovers, most, aren't variable but step.

12. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

So do you turn the crossover off at the receiver? Doesn't that eliminate any bass management advantages you get (i.e. setting to "small" and routing the bass from mains/C/surrounds to the sub) thus compounding the problem? If you use the sub and receiver crossovers together, do you get nulls? For me, all I know is every expert I've consulted has said to turn the crossover to "off" or all the way up on a sub and allow the receiver to route the bass. Seems to work for me.

13. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I don't have any bass management anymore. But when I had it I did use it and the Subwoofer's lowpass at the same time, never had any nulls or problems.

14. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Well, if set to similar crossover points, mathematics alone would dictate the crossover would be steeper than either one was originally and if set to overlap, there would most definately be an area in the overlap where the frequencies are experiencing an unintended attenuation, because one crossover would be "rolling off" what was already "rolled off" by the other crossover. It may or may not be audible or even unpleasant, but it is there.

15. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Tim,

Have you decided if you're making it up for the GTG in Chandler?

Miguel,

I think I made the offer before, but you're welcome to listen to a PB10 in person and decide for yourself if it's worth it. Just let me know.

-Robb

16. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Miguel did you get my private message regarding my Mirage S12 12" powered sub? If not let me know. I think you might be interested.

17. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robb,

At this point it does not look like i will make it. if it turns out i can, i would be willing to bring beer, snacks, soda, or what ever for the short notice. i wont know until the 3rd, i may have to take my daughter to work. if that is to short of notice i understand, thank you for the invite.

18. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Tim,

It's more of an open house thing. If you can make it, great. If not, your daughter is more important than a simple GTG. No need to bring beer or snacks -- I'll have both on hand.

-Robb

19. MiguelP

Are Veloydyne subs any good? I have to go to circuity city and see how they sound first,but 125 dollars? thats a steal deal bro..I'll let you know because I have other people trying to sell me subwoofers too lol!

20. MiguelP

Its not that I'm worried about it, its just one of those extra features I like i the subwoofer. I might need it just in CASE.