What's a good sub I can get used for 200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Not too many peolpe are selling parts for DIY, and I need to save some money and have a sub. So what are some good subs for no more than 200 shipped? Maybe there are some popular ones on ebay or audiogon. I listen to 90% music, and I have a completely closed off, 10.6 by 12 room. Please help.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

how bout the DLS 10" from partsexpress.com? everyone seems to love the thing

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Shawn-- Respectfully>> you have been asking about what sub to get? What sub is good? for quit some time now. What's really the scoop in all the questions? I am not trying to be a jerk but you really have me and maybe a few others really wondering. I will stop here and not take your inventory but I don't think any thing can be said to your question that hasn't been directed your way many times prior... What do you think? Am I way off?

4. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

You're right. I'm trying to assess the different options I have, either buying or building. I know my budget now, and am trying to see if I can get a better sub for 200 than building one. I am leaning toward DIY, but I just wanted to see, for the last time, if anyone had suggestions for a sub in that price range. And after seeing what people are selling, I will probably go DIY. But I was just seeing if anyone had some final suggestions before I made my chioce. I know I have been searching for the right sub for a long time, and I greatly appreciate all the help. I didn't intend to make anyone upset. Thanks for all the help.

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Shawn I am not upset. That would definitely be very grandiose of me. I am just trying to figure? As you can see you are getting the same answers that you previously have received many times in the past. That was a gracious reply Shawn and in that I guess it would be best for me I hope, to tip-toe out of this thread. I am no moderator I know. Good luck Shawn.

7. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know what I go with. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Shawn
    DIY-for 200 Alex...[​IMG]
    For 200.00 something could be built. BUT before even exploring this route do you have the tools and skills nesessary to go DIY?
    If not, can you barrow the tools and take the chance as you learn the art of wood working? It may perform well when done assuming you build it (a proven design) properly, but the look of the finished product might not be up to your snuff, lets just say.
    As far as what the best bang for the buck subs 200.00 and under. This has been hammered out here many many times.
    The DLS-10-(99.00)~Small, well built, nice finish, decent output to the mid to upper 20's. No mods required...
    The Sony40-(129.00 to 229.00)~Small, not as well built, decent output to the upper 20 to around 30hz, finish & look not well liked by many, requires mods to get all you can out of it. Poly fill mod at least, wall deadener recomended.....
    The Audio Source SW15-(143.00 to 180.00) LARGE, not as well built, Largest spl output, to the mid to upper 20's, Finish fair-Black wood grain, requires mods to get all you can out of it. Poly fill, wall deadener, and bracing of some sort.
    All subs less shipping....
    Ubid has had the SW15 for 147.00 shipped for over 2 weeks now.
    Ebay has had PE selling the DLS for 99.00 and no shipping prior to Christmass.
    Sony40 seen as low as 129.00 delivered fromsome on line vendor, don't remember where though.
    ========>
    These are the same subs recomemded over and over here as of late. If it was my 200.00....
    2 of the DLS-10's stacked....
    Or if I had the room, 1-SW-15 with full modding......
    200.00 DIY will build you a DIY sub,
    but getting the SPL output and extension of 2~DLS-10's stacked or 1~SW15 is going to be very tough to do.
    You need to think of what your prioritys are. Budget, seems you got this figured out! Space constraints, and wheather you are capable of DIY that can and will fit your bill and provide enough spl and extension o make you happy let alone the finish!
    Good Luck
    Geoff
    Edit:
    To answer your thread header, some great deals are out their to be had. Check the For Sale area and the Subwoofer sale page. People get the Sub up-grade bug daily and sell subs all the time. Some fall on hard times and great deals are their to be had.
    A month back or so, a HSU-VF2 sold for 200.00 shipped and only 1-month old. Great sub and worth every penny of that used 200.00.
    DIY sub are up for sale all the time.
    Probley the best used bang for the buck on a regular basis if built properly....
    Decisions decisions...[​IMG]