What's new

What's a good "old" pirate movie for a 5 year old? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
My 5 year old wants to watch some pirate movies, and I've realized my knowledge of the genre is pretty shallow.

I'd also like it to be an older film (pre-1960), if possible.

Any recommendations?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d suppose that the standard ‘classic’ is

The Sea Hawk with Erol Flynn in the title role and Brenda Marshall, the love interest who makes a bad man, good. Also has Claude Rains, plenty of action and no moral not upheld. If you care about that kind of thing, it also has one of Korngold’s best scores.

Also great fun for kids of all ages is Spielberg’s

The Goonies, which I mention on the off-chance that you are not familiar with the film. If you are not, pick it up for your 5-year old, even though its not pre-1960.

edit to note that Spielberg did not direct the film, but was the writer producer (I think)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'd recommend Errol Flynn's CAPTAIN BLOOD as well as the hugely entertaining Burt Lancaster film, THE CRIMSON PIRATE.

I can't agree at all with The Goonies as I found it to be (besides a lousy movie) mean-spirited and rather foul-mouthed for a PG-rated film. No surprise, though, coming from Richard Donner.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ooooo I love Pirate movies. How about Peter Pan or Treasure Island (Disney, 1950). I'm tempted to recommend Goonies as well but I think it might be too scary for a 5 yr old. Muppet Treasure Island might be something you'd enjoy watching too.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I'll be waiting a couple years before watching "The Goonies". I really don't think it's a good movie for a five year old.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As I think about The Goonies again, I agree that it is probably not suitable for a 5-year old. I’m not sure that I agree that it is mean-spirited, but I am aware that a lot of critics thought that it was a bit heavy-handed.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 1950 version of Treasure Island. The DVD is coming in a month or two, so you may want to wait for that.

It's THE definitive film on the movie, IMO. I don't think anyone could have captured Long John Silver's character as good as Robert Newton.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
1950's Treasure Island and Swiss Family Robinson which have already been said, two great films I grew up watching. Robert Newton who did Long John Silver was perfect.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Chalk up another vote for The Swiss Family Robinson. What a great movie. I watched it all of the time with my mother when I was little.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'd recommend "Captain Blood" also, or Disney's "Swiss Family Robinson" however the pirates aren't really center stage in that movie and there's not a whole lot of swashbuckling.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There's always the grandaddy of them all, Douglas Fairbanks' The Black Pirate, which even though from 1926 is in an attractive 2-strip Technicolor. If your 5-year-old can read, it'll be good practice; if not, you can bond by reading him the titles. :) It's a lot of fun and has some great stunt work by Fairbanks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Second The Black Pirate; it's just too bad that the Image DVD doesn't have the Alloy Orchestra's (great) new score for it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'll add votes for "The Crimson Pirate" and "The Sea Hawk" both of which are not on DVD yet.
Swiss Family Robinson is another good one.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
When I was seven, my family got a VCR. I attribute my entire cinematic education to whoever programmed the CBC latenight movie in 1982. ;)

That said, I am a huge huge huge fan of both Flynn titles mentioned here: Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk. While I liked Blood more when I was younger, upon recently rewatching both for the first time in about ten years, I am far more impressed with The Sea Hawk.

Captain Blood is still great, but it's a lot slower. If the five year old in question is fidgety at all, I'd recommend The Sea Hawk first. It opens with a ship-to-ship battle and never slows down.

However, Blood has Olivia DeHavilland in it. The Sea Hawk would have been perfect if it had Olivia DeHavilland in it. :D

I also would like to second recommends for the Disney Swiss Family Robinson, which I liked a lot more than I expected to as a child, and pretty much any Treasure Island. Wasn't there a great one in the 80s with Charlton Heston that was made for TV?

If these films whet the five year old's thirst for swashbucklers, the Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood is also excellent, in the same kind of style, just with no boats. And it has Olivia DeHavilland in it.

I recently introduced a five and seven year old to both Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk with good results...however, rambunctious children may go on a swordfighting spree after these films. :D

Stan Rich

Stunt Coordinator
Treasure Island...any kid would love it...Crimson Pirate is also an excellent choice.
Just for a chucle or two...Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kid...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think Sea Hawk is Flynn's best film actually. I think a 5 year old would probably be able to enjoy it since there is plenty of action.

Yeah, Hook is just about a must-see under these circumstances even though it's a recent film. How is a 5 year old not going to love that, and it has lots of pirate action too.

I like the Swiss Family Robinson recommendation as well. When I was a kid that tree house seemed like the coolest thing in the world, and of course it's very ship-like due to the construction materials.
rambunctious children may go on a swordfighting spree after these films.
Now that was good for an out-loud :laugh: from me. I can just imagine it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
An off-the-wall suggestion here:

The Pirates Of Penzance

A lot of great fun and sillyness, as are most Gilbert & Sullivan productions. Kevin Kline is a hoot.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks