What's a good newspaper to place a classified ad?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I'm looking to place classified want ads in various newspapers (or whatever I can afford) in the US. I'm hoping that some newspapers will allow me to just put an email address so no one has to call me long distance but that's a whole other issue.

Anyway it doesn't really matter where in the US I place it, as long as there are a good amount of readers. I would say that National newspapers are out of the question due to the cost.

www.newspaperlinks.com is helpful but I don't think they give any kind of readership information.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think you need to narrow your parameters more. Who is your target audience? Rich/poor, black/white/asian/hispanic/etc., rural/urban? Etc. Then, you can figure out which newspapers target those readers.

If you just want eyeballs, start searching for the dominant local papers of all of the various metropolitan areas. Most will have a website that provide circulation numbers. If not, give them a call and ask.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    What the heck are you trying to sell? Specialty forums are great for this.

For northern California, try www.craigslist.com for free classified ads.

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm looking to place want ads. Without getting into what I want, I will say, it's not terribly important where I advertise, although middle class is going to work the best. Internet based classifieds are out of the question as no one reads them. If the link, posted above, has to do with a news or specialty paper, I'll look in to it.

You know, I got to thinking when I started doing this. I don't know how those people who bought in to Don Lapre's "Tiny Classified Ad's" scheme do it. I mean in those infomercials he speaks of placing 100's of classified ads in Newspapers around the U.S. Unless there is some sort of trick, that would really be costly!

Thanks!

Jeff

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Actually, online classifieds are extremely successful depending upon what you are listing. eBay, Match.com, and Monster.com are examples of such success. Each has its own approach that works much better than offline siblings.

6. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Don, let's just say I'm targeting those who don't have access to the net. I mean, if they do, then why would they sell to me? They can just go to Ebay. I will not pay Ebay prices for the items I am looking for. I am not gouging people either, I have done this in the past, locally, and offered good money to people without net access. Some of these people were surprised on how much I offered them.

Anyway I think I can do this with the help of newspaperlinks.com. I just wish there were a network of papers that I could pay one price and it's printed on more than just one.

Jeff

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The term "Want ads" is normally understood to mean "employment ads" or "Help wanted" ads. It seems to me that you wish to place merchandise wanted ads, which are a completely different animal. (And this probably explains why everybody has been so confused by your post. It is a rare business that adverstises for new employees without refernce to where in the country they live. [​IMG])

Given what you're actually after ...

I'd suggest looking for some of those free "buy and sell magazines" that are given away at your local supermarket and other businesses. These are often local editions of publications owned and operated by a national company. Some of them let you put identical ads in all of their publications for a reduced price. Newspapers that are part of the same chain do similar things with "local" inserts. Again, check several papers from your area for a week, and see what kind of classified sales inserts they have, then call the contact number and find out if they have volume discounts.

Just don't tell them you need to place a "want ad". [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe