What's new

What's a good, new Wireless Router for a Beginner? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
We're looking to spread the Hispeed Internet through out the house...namley the 4th bedroom and the basement for when we turn it into a media center. We're also looking share printer functions for the new laser printer..

Any recomendations?

Thanks..

Heh, I find it humorous that my sister spent 3 hours downloading a 55MB file over dialup, but I had to cancell it during a Thunderstorm. I downloaded the same file in 55 seconds on my cable modem. It's about time she had that service on hers as well..

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Personally I would go with a router and an Access Point separately. Althought it isn't quite as easy, I think it makes it easier to add on without replacing an entire system in the future. I would assume you want to go with 802.11b however I'll give you suggestions for 802.11g also. For the router either way I would choose the Linksys BEFSR41 (this includes a 4 port switch, which is a nice option for upgrades in the future). For the wireless AP, the Linksys WAP11 is a good 802.11b option, and the counterpart for G is the WAP54G.

Quickly, B is a slower version of G. Not slower in terms of bandwidth, as both will easily accomodate a cable connection, but easier in terms of moving files around on a network. If you are serious about connection a media center downstairs, I would go for G, b/c in the future you may be moving video files around your house. Luckily, all G products are compatible with B products. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help you out.

Mike

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree with buying a router and AP separately. 802.11g is great, but it will be surpassed by a new standard here in the next couple years, but the router likely will not change for 5-10 years. This will also allow easier placement of the AP if you have a large residence. The router usually needs to be near any desktops or near the broadband connection which isn't always the ideal place for the AP.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
SethH ~ Granted, you can have the router and the AP separated as far as you want, but .... keep in mind that there must be a CAT5 Ethernet cable between them. So yeah, you can have your modem and router on one side of the house, and your AP on the other, but you will be running wire the whole way.

Also, Regarding sharing printer capabilites, it is very easy to share a printer on the network. Posting your whole config with OS's (Xp, 2000, etc.) will let me know how to help out. Let me know if you have any other questions as to what hardware to buy.

Mike

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I agree that the Linksys BEFSR41 is a great little beasty. The 4-point switch is a nice added feature.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm also using the linksys g wireless router. thing took a whole whopping 10 minutes to setup.

also, when i have had problems, their technical support has been amazingly helpful. i give them kudos just for that.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
i've been using the linksys wrt54g for the last couple of months. set up is easy. it supports wpa for enhanced wireless security. goes for about $77 on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks