What's a good movie database site?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Szott, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

A place online with easy searching and cross-referencing of actors/directors/whatever? Reviews would be good as well, but an accesable and quick to use interface would be more important. I'm sure there are tons of these online, what's the best ones?

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

what nickso said...

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Surely, joe meant an alternative movie database, right? Joe, member since February 22nd, 2002?

--
    H - Right?

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

http://www.allmovie.com/

There's one, I never use it, but there it is.
    Here's a quick reason why:
    Just went to AllMovie's Reese Witherspoon entry. Her filmography there does not include Freeway or The Man in the Moon. Those two movies are why I became a Reese fan.
    If you read her bio on their site there are links to those two films, so why not include them in the film list? Their AllMusic site is wonderful, but for movies I think IMDB is the winner.

Wouldn't the MOVIE FORUM have been a great place for ....well, nevermind. [​IMG]

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    what ted lee said

CJ

7. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

They actually are on the list, but you probably have to click on the "click here for more" button.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Holadem - Nope, I meant that one. I've had a printed movie guide type reference for years that I use, but I think this latest copy is 2002 and I don't want to upgrade it again. Shameful I know [​IMG]

Thanks to all...

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Right you are! I missed that, but that just makes them less user friendly in my eyes.
    Then there's all this business of one to four stars and other things that take up a bunch a space:
    Flags Not For Children,
    MPAA Rating R
    Keywords girl, hitchhiker, prison, runaway [from home], serial-killer
    Themes Runaways, Flight of the Innocent, Serial Killers, Unlikely Criminals, Out For Revenge
    Tones Biting, Cynical, Angry, Confrontational, Disturbing, Lurid, Raunchy
    Moods

That info is for the previously mentioned FREEWAY. Seems it's rated R and it's not for children. Wow!

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

filmtracker is also decent, although targeted at more industry "in production" projects.

it's also not free.

11. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Filmtracker's main competitor, and where I was employed until November of last year as a Research Coordinator is Studio Systems Inc. However they are the hardcore industry tool that not only has information about movies but also contact information for agents, clients, companies, etc.

In case you're interested, it's $425 per month per seat. However there is a simpler version with less information at your disposal called In Hollywood that goes for $49.95 per month.