What's new

What's a good job for a teenager? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Next Semester I get out of school at 11:50 everyday so I have a significant amount of time to get a job in the afternoons and make $$$. Do any of you have any good experiences or know of jobs that pay decently for teenagers? BTW I used to work at a monument company that was my friends families business but got laid off.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I sell footware at a local sporting goods chain. It pays decently, compared to if you started working at McDonlads (BC has a Minimum wage, and a TRAINEE minimum wage whihc is way cheaper. McDicks starts off with the TRAINEE minimum wage you get paid for the first 500 hours).
It gives me good expereince as i gotta talk to alot of customers to try to get them to buy shoes ;)
My side of the store doesnt do commission, but the footware guys on the other side (our store is half Coast Mountian Sports, half SportChek) do, lucky bastards, thatll get you even more money...
Yeah, so sellin stuff like footware, or clothing at some store is better than like McDonalds. Try to find a job at the mall :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
During the end of my senior year / this past summer I worked at Target and I found it to be most enjoyable. I worked in the Food Service department (the snack bar in front of the store). It was easy work (making hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, giving out cups, telling people where the bathroom is :) ) and I got paid more than the minimum wage when I started.
The employee discount is 10%... which helped just a little with DVDs ;)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Best buy would be sweet,TRU is good too.But if all else fails Cant go wrong with Publx.Pretty easy work too.

Luis S

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
nick- around here mcD's starts people off at 6.50 I think. It's decent pay... I still wouldn't work there :)
I don't really like people.. so I've always worked in warehouses or something like that, except for the time I was a network admin, but that sucked..

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I worked at one of those Costco/Sam's Club type places when I was in High School back in 1989-1990. It was called Pace, and it was in Maryland.
This was back when they didn't want to use the price scanners and you had to type in a 6-digit code for every single item.
I switched over to stocking the 'hard-lines' and I really enjoyed it. That was stocking electronics, workout machines, and stuff like that. You know, the one side of the warehouse that has all of the tools/etc. The pay was pretty good. The work was easy, except for inventory time, ugh. I even got to drive the forklift around. :) I even sold tires sometimes. It was neat.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Try your local Pepsi/Coke distributor, if you have one. You could probably get a job loading trucks and such. I have a friend who worked at one, the starting pay was $6.50 and he said the work wasn't too bad.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
If it isn't your first job, don't settle for minimum wage. :)
Try video Stores, Movie Theaters, Best Buy and the like... they can generally work around any schedule.

Alex S

Second Unit
Van,
When I was 16 I got a job at a local roller skating rink as a skating guard. It was the best job. I skated around and I literally got to "pick up" hot girls. :)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that the best job for money, if you have your own means of transportation and if you can find a regional office near you, is with the company that sells Cutco Knives, I think that it is called Vector Management, or something of the ilk. Basically, you get paid by appointment, and each appointment is set up by you (no cold calling). With the appointment, all you do is try to sell knives, and really good knives (the ones that have the handle made out of the same stuff as bowling balls, and the pair of scissors that can make a corkscrew out of a penny). Each appointment takes about 30-45 mins, and you get paid between $15-20 just for the appoinment, as well as 5% of what you sell. So if you sell $200 worth of knives at one appointment, you will be making the $15-20 appointment plus $10 for what you sold. Along with this, with every performance mark you hit (I forgot what it was, but it was something like $5000 total sales) your percentage gets bumped up. I had friends who did this for a summer and made something like $30,000 just for the summer. The only problem is that since you have to make your own appointments, you usually have to make appointments with family and friends first, and you have to do your own scheduling. Also, if you are not a very good public speaker, then this will hinder you selling ability. But other than that, it is a great way to make a bunch of bucks, and you also learn how to speak and sell stuff while on the job.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I loved working at a record store when I was a teen. Of course, it helped that the people I worked with were way cool.

I also enjoyed working the produce department at my local grocery store.

Don't limit your choices to retail, however, there may be office/clerical jobs out there part time as well... they tend to pay pretty well comparatively.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
While in high school I had several jobs. A couple of my favorites were detailing cars at a car dealership and the other was working at Sears in hardware. I didn't have to mess with the customers, I got to put together their riding lawn mowers and some of the grills. I also worked in the back which was ok except when I had to load a refrigerator into the back of some guys truck by myself. But it was alright climbing around on the racks and getting dishwashers and stuff.

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion you are probably going to have to work inside the rest of your life, GET A JOB OUTSIDE!

I recommend a golf course as most of those will let you play after work for free.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Chad is right!!!!
It's pretty easy work, raking traps, seeding fairways, filling up water cans, picking up broken tees, stocking the driving range, trimming bushes, etc.
If you're real lucky, they'll even let you drive around in the "cagemobile" on the driving range and scoop up all the balls.
(You do play golf, right....? I mean, doesn't everybody?):laugh:

CaseyLS

Second Unit
My favorite job I had when I was a teenager was doing maintenance work. Try and get a job at a state park or something of the like. It's hard work but most people you work with have good stories, you get to see a lot of hot women(I worked at a park on a lake)and it really boosts your work ethic. You also learn a lot of new skills. I am now certified in CPR, welding and other construction type jobs.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
When in high school, I worked at a grocery store and had a blast. I worked there for a total of 4.5 years and met an amazing amount of people. It's a great place to meet friends, and in my case my fiance, and make connections. They usually pay more than minimum wage but if you're really nice to the customers, they may tip you. Doesn't happen too much, but it sure does make you feel good.
For the past three summers I worked for the city on their parks and rec department for $9.50 an hour. Talk about an easy job. I worked at a park with 8 baseball fields and 6 soccer fields. All I did was pick up trash, mow, and prepare the baseball fields for games every evening. They even allowed us to work overtime all of the time. I made a boatload of money. Of course I spent it all, but you only live once! :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Best and most stable money if you can get it is waitering. Even in a Dennys or similar place you can make upwards of $20 an hour with tips.

You usually have to start as a host and work your way up, but the waiting game can pull down major coin in college (especially if you can get in at an upscale place.) Also, no matter where you go, you can always find a job (where there are people, there are restaurants.)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
When I was that age I was thinking the same thing.
My great aunt told me, " Have fun now, because once you start working, you'll work the rest of your life"

20 years later, It was the last time I had a break for longer than 3 weeks. I'm glad I took her advice (the economy sucked back then too so it would have been a nothing job)

Its something to consider if the job is optional
Good Luck and have some fun
Grant

millercv

Second Unit
I worked at a one-hour photo place in HS/college and it was really easy/fun work. Bonus is you get to learn a good bit about taking pictures/film... That and ocassionally you got some very interesting pictures (sometimes good interesting sometimes bad interesting).

FYI we didn't root around in the pics but on the equipment you had to color correct the pics individually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks