What's new

What's a good inexpensive driver to replace the stock speaker in the Audiosource SW15 (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Ok guys, I'm trying to help a buddy put together a HT system on the cheap. He bought the Audiosource SW15 after hearing my SVS 16-46pci. He wanted deeper lows that he can feel. However, it seems to rumble more than produce bass that's felt. So we've determined that the stock speaker is the weakest link. Therefore, we are now in search of a good inexpensive replacement to produce better bass. Any suggestions for preferably around 100 or less?

BTW what are your thought about using a 15" car sub from say JBL, MTX etc?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Before anyone can give you a good recommendation they'd need to know the internal volume of the cabinet as well as the dimensions of the port(s). Also, keep in mind that it is possible that the amp was built specifically for that driver/box combo and might not be well suited for whatever driver replaces the current one.
Above all else, do NOT just grab a driver blindly and put it in. Obviously you're not doing that since you're asking here...just for anyone else reading along at home. :)
A better solution, IMO, would be to save up a little cash, add that to the $100 budget for the driver then sell the Audiosource and buy/build something he'll truly enjoy.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
What mod are you referring to? It came with some polyfill unless you are talking about something different.

JeffB

Grip
I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing and was thinking about using a Tempest. Another member (Wayne Ernst)has been most helpful. He replaced his driver with a Dayton DVC (partsexpress.com)with great results. Here is a portion of the E-mail from him.

"I didn't retrofit my Audiosource with a Tempest, but I did with the Dayton 15" DVC. I had to make the circular opening for the subwoofer about 1/8"larger than the opening that was provided for the default Audiosource driver.
Hands down, this is about the best upgrade that I've ever done. The Audiosource box was partially filled with polyfill about 6 months ago which cleaned it up a bit. However, the driver is what struck a home run with this combination. Since the Dayton driver has 2 voice coils, I wired them in parallel and the stock amp can easily handle the driver.
I was visiting one of my local audio dealers today.I spent some time with one of the B&W subs that sells for $1,499. My modified Audiosource box would easily put it to shame and the $1,200+ that I saved can go for lots more gear."

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Madisound or Parts Express can supply you with a decent woofer, make sure you do the math or use one of their wizards to help in your selection. Dont buy a 500 dollar woofer, some of them look awesome. You might be surprised how cheap a really good woofer can be, dont let the low price run you off either, again be sure you do the math.
1 last thing you have 1 response on this thread where someone has already done this swap, I would look hard at what he did, could save a lot of time. . .

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I agree with Guy. Maybe even contact Wayne Ernst himself or see if you and JeffB can work through it together as you go. If you do a search on modifying the Audiosource you should fine some good info, although most will be on simpler mods, such as: Lining the walls with damping sheets, maybe adding some extra bracing, and using extra Poly fill without changing the woofer; however, I think you clearly should travel the path that Wayne has travelled. Good luck!

Ed Brockbank

Auditioning
a fellow forum member directed me here and based on what i read i purchased a SW15. hell, you cant beat it for the price, right?
well anyhow i love the thing (especailly for the money) only been using the sub for about 2 days. but mine came flat stuffed to the rim with poly fill so much so i could barely compressed the fill. well anyhow.
coming off just selling all my paradigm for smaller speakers that better fit my application. and having owned a PS1200 sub and PDR-10. i can say this that Audiosource is one heck of a unit for the cash. (geesh have i already said that :) )
take what you will from this new-comer and i am by no means a sound expert. but i dont think comparing the sound from a SW15 to the SVS is fair. although i know first hand that paying alot doesnt mean you get alot.
BTW great forum and very informative.
i put together a "cheap" system this time based on the info read here. and after watching three movies last night can honestly say the forum members know what they are talking about.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the internal amp has some sort of EQ that is optimized for the current driver in that box?
You might wanna throw that one into the "equitation" as well.
BTW I've used a JL audio driver in the Infinity HPS-1000 enclosure you can see ithere , with good success.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The guys have given you some good advise.

What I did.
The single best thing you can do using the STOCK driver and cabinet is make the cabinet deader, stronger, and dampen the walls.

On the cheap, use 1-1/2" hard wood dowles vertical and horizontal inside. You can cut them for a pressure fit to the walls. They have to be a clean square cut!!!
Always use good wood glue where they make contact to the wall and each other. Where the dowels cross each other on the inside, pre drill, then glue them together and run a wood screw threw them.

Spray can deadener can be used on the walls, port tubes and dowels. Rubberized car spay can under coating can be used instead of the expensive stuff you see at the car install places, BUT "make sure it has dried 24-hours" as the fumes it gives off while drying will "eat on" the woofer and surround.
You can also use roofing felt if you have access to it. The undercoating seems to work better.

Stuff it with 2 1/2-lbs of fluffed up poly fill, if it doesn't have that much already.

These small and cheap modds will tone down the boom factor mucho and it will sound much better.....A buddy at work has one, and this is what I did for him and it made a very big difference!

If you still prefer the new driver approach, like the excellent suggestion above go for it. But as mentioned by others, if you choose that route, I agree highly in contacting the guy on his complete approach to making that swap. I'll bet the cabinet got modded also......

Regards
Geoff

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Another good cheap driver is the Audiobahn 1571Q if you can find it, I remember modeling this once for a box this size (but sealed) and it showed promise though the eq from the plate amp might make it peak at certain freq and ruin any chance for a good smooth low response without an external eq or a change of a few resistors on the plate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks