What's a good HTiB?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tenniswood, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

My dorm is looking to get surround sound for the big screen TV in the lounge. We're looking to spend about $500-ish on an HTiB. The room is pretty big (30x35 or so), but the area in front of the TV (ie - not taken up by the gaming tables) is about 12x15. So it's a pretty big space for an HTiB to handle. What would be a good HTiB to order for a space this big. (I know, normally people would say 'whatever sounds good to your ear', but there are 225 pairs of ears to satisfy, and I don't think I can drag them all over to Best Buy to test out speakers...)

So what HTiB would YOU buy if you had $500?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With $500, I would buy NO HTiB! "Good", "HTiB" and "$500" do not go together. You already hit one important point, and that will be the size of the room. Most ~$500 HTiBs are going to lack in the power department. I HIGHLY recommend looking at systems that have separate components, that way you will be able to more easily swap out components for better ones over time.
    This Kenwood/Boston system was very well reviewed, and is on sale in the link (still above $500), and no separate components.
    In that price range, this one doesn't look too bad. The receiver will be the weak point.
    Shop around for those and similar models, you can probably find them for less than Crutchfield.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Do you need a dvd player? or are you just looking for a receiver & speakers?

4. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

No to HTIB
    Just get a surround receiver with a good set of fun as hell cerwin vegas. You can always add little cheap center and surrounds later.
    A site I reference often sums up HTIB perfectly and as a public service I'm delevering the URL here to you (I'm so nice.... why thank you)
    http://www.htadvice.com/home/spot_light_july2002.html
    A would consider it a must read for ya.
    Peace out and have some jammin fun.
    Oh, the reson I recommend Cerwin Vegas is that they're the ultimate fun party speaker that can deliver loud audio without breaking. What other speakers do you know that can double as a component rack?!
    Not accurate, but great for dorm life.

5. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Bill - no, we don't need a DVD player. Just a Reciever/Speaker dealie.

Thanks Mike and everyone who answered.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If you were to go HTIB I would go with the Onkyo 650 hands down. Allot of people are very surprised at the sound that can be had from this unit. Circuit City has a special going now. $470? Good luck!

7. ChrisAK

ChrisAK Extra

Check out the last year model Yamaha 5440 at Best Buy. I have seen some for < $250. Pair this with a Cerwin Vega AVS 632 from JandR.com for ~$250. Is this speaker package of audiophile quality? no, but you will be pleased for movies. and have a great receiver to boot. I have that set and like it alot. The metal grilles will be almost drunken moron proof. I do not think you can do alot better for the money.

8. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

I recommend looking at the JBL Northridge Series NSP1 Home Cinema Speaker Package from someplace like jandr. Here is the link.
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...552&showcase=t
    You can get the speakers for $250 shipped. I have set this up before for people, and everyone is satisfied. Add a $250 receiver for a decent setup. A used sub for $100-$150 can be purchased further down the line when you have some more $$$.

9. Josh J

Josh J Auditioning

I bought my HTib a couple of years ago against many who said not to. It was a Kenwood combo that was a Kenwood receiver and speakers for almost 500 exactly, a little over but not bad. It is upgradeable and for my room works great. Most people who tell you not to buy one are older well to do people who couldnt fathom of buying such cheap equipment. The Kenwood HTB-505 comes with a receiver and all the speakers needed including a small sub for as little as 377 if you shop around on the net. My advice is to not be discouraged by the people telling you not to buy a HTiB and go for it.

Good luck,

Jj

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If you go with the right one you will be very surprised at what they can do. :Onkyo 650--Kenwood 505 HTIB.

11. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

"Well to do people"

I started on a small budget as well and the upgrade path by not buying an HTiB was a lot easier and a lot less limiting.

I could build a better sounding system and more upgradable system for the same price many are willing to spend on an HTiB.

I comes down simply to:
    1. if you want to tweak your system and shop around for the best prices... build your own system.

2. If you don't want to build it yourself, don't have the knowledge, or don't want to dedicate the time to the HT... get an HTiB.

Please don't try class warfare here.
    I started at the bottom as far as budget is concerned before building my monste HT and a loved every incarnation my HT took on its way to getting where it is today.

Honest advice.

Again, hope this helps

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I have an older version of the Kenwood "505" HTiB (reciever and speakers). It has decent sound quality (again, I only have my neighboors Aiwa to compare to), but it will play louder than anyone will ever want to listen.

No..nevermind..somebody always wants it "Louder".

It's a good, inexpensive system... But I recommend you replace the subwoofer as soon as you can. It's pretty pathetic.

13. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

I have the Onkyo HTS-650 and am amazed at the sound. The sub is fine for my purposes. Really ran rings around the other HTIBs I listened to. I honestly believe I would have to spend twice as much - which is money I did not have - for separates to get any better sound. While the comments about separates are valid, they do cost more money than HTIBs. In my case, they would have almost doubled the cost. Only you can decide whether your budget can afford and your ears need any particular set up. With that said, I firmly believe that upgrading the speaker wire out of the HTIB box, as well as speaker placement, really improves performance.