Whats a good frequency response for speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Garcia, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

i have the SKS-HT500 by Onkyo and the fronts are
    55Hz – 35kHz . The center is 65Hz – 35kHz . and the surround is 65Hz – 35kHz

2. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

it may help to list your speaker set up :=)

Will

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I really don't understand the question?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jeff. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Guess what? Your speakers are fine.
    Trying to judge a speaker quality by the frequency numbers is a bit like trying to select the best-tasting cola from looking at the ingredents. It's not a huge help.
    I CAN tell you that your system could use a dedicated, self-powered subwoofer.
    Your receiver lets you define your speakers as either LARGE or SMALL. Your speakers are in the LARGE catagory because they go below about 80 hz.
    But if you add a self-powered sub, you can tell your receiver that your speakers are SMALL. This will:
    - make the receiver route all sounds below about 120 hz to the sub.
    - free the receiver from trying to use power to create the lower frequency sounds.
    - allow you to corner-load the sub where the low-frequencies can use the adjacent walls for reflections.
    Thats about the only thing I can tell you about your speakers. [​IMG]
    Now those speakers... let's face it. Onkyo is not known for speakers.
    But does it matter? Not really.
    Home Theater sound is .... low-density compared to music. It's highly-compressed, mainly dialog and largely artifical.
    What this means is: a inexpensive set of speakers can give you a great HT experience. Unlike music (where accuracy is the goal), HT is about impact.
    Read the FAQ to learn about how to place your speakers in your room, use a laser-pen to align them, use a Radio Shack SPL meter to level-adjust and you may be suprised at how good those speakers can sound.
    Good Luck.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

supposedly, humans can only hear in the 20hz-20khz range.

so, if your speakers can get down to 20hz (yeah right) or up to 20khz (maybe?) then supposedly that's "all you need".

but, that's now how speakers and/or hearing works. i think harmonics has a lot to do with it. also, those extremes are more felt or "sensed" than anything else.

anyway, you should listen to the speaker and decide if you like them. if possible, go to a few b&m stores and audition all types of speakers. big ones, small ones, satellite systems, etc.

get a feel for what different speakers can sound like - that'll help you make an informed decision.

finally, remember that sound is very subjective. what sounds good to me may sound like crap to you.

6. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

7. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

I have the HT-S650, which uses your speaker setup with the Onkyo HR500 receiver. For the price, this is a great system. BTW, it does have a 150 W powered amp, with an 8" long throw woofer in it. Mine shakes the house during LOTR and TPM. The speakers sound great for both HT and Music. Good luck, and enjoy them!