What's a good entry-level sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brock, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Brock

Brock Extra

Looking to spend about $300 on a sub -- any suggestions for a decent one in this price range?

Thanks

2. Brock

Brock Extra

Some quick specs:

The room is 21 x 13, and I'm using B&W DM600 series 3 speakers. I'd like it for HT and 2-channel audio.

Thanks

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Adire Rava. $399+ shipping. More than you are looking to spend, but probably as good as you are going to find in the price range.

4. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Of all the B&M subs, the JBL120PII has been the best reviewed. You can find it for $375...

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

The new Hsu STF-1 will be a nice entry level sub at $299. It will not get very low, but what it can do will be very good.

6. GeorgeJM

GeorgeJM Agent

Check out the PartsExpress sub topic. Seems that folks are happy with its price/performance ratio.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

There are a lot of subs in the markets inside that price range, that said, the best advice I can give you is that only use this forums as a guide, not to make your final descition, your ears should be the ones that tell you what you like, cause you are the only one that is going to end up with it.

Although your room isnt very big, is not small either, I think the best think you could do is save a little more and get an SVS, HSU, Velodyne or Adire. But here are some suggestion that you can go and audition,

$200 or less
    DAYTON 10" 100 WATT POWERED SUBWOOFER $125 Seems to be very poplular lately, the reviews say that it sounds pretty decent for its price, its not boomy.
    Sony SA-WM500 150 Watt Active Subwoofer $135 Is the replacement of the popular SA-WM40, which last year was one of the favorites in entry level budgets, although is a little boomy, the poly mod helps, and for HT is very good, for music is decent but not the best.
    Sony SA-WX700 250 Watt Active Subwoofer $200 This is a new sub from sony, which has twin 10'' drivers. I have this on my second setup, and I also have an SVS25-31PCi, and there is no comparison, but as far of flatness is very close, the only thing that is missing IMO is output, it doesnt have the streght of the SVS or the capability of reaching that low. But overall IMO is a good buy inside the $200 range.
    JBL PB12 12" Powered Subwoofer $200 Very good sub for the money, but it has a amp faling history, some say that JBL fix it with the new batches, but I still see people complaining from time to time, but out of their reliavility, I think this is one of the best $200 range.

$500 or less
    JBL S120PII 12" 400-Watt Front-Firing Powered Subwoofer $400 My best friend has this sub, and IMO it does very good job, we have compare it head to head with my SVS 25-31PCi and the SVS could go deeper with more Db, but both can reach very low (in a small-medium room), both can give you good spls. There is a review on Sound&Vision made by Tom Nousaine (sub guru), in which he say the following "Strong output capability (107+db SPL) at all frecuencies above 25Hz, tight, powerfull, and smooth low bass, a great warranty and a reasanable price make this moderatly large subwoofer a real value".
    HSU VTF-2 $499 This is also very good sub for the money, it can reach very low in small rooms, is very flat, but in my opinion in a medium-large room it can have trouble reaching low with good dbs, but you should definetly audition it, very good for the money sound wise. Also check the new STF subs, that probably will fit your budget easily.
    Also check Velodyne CHT-15 which also was reviewed by Tom Nousaine, " The velodyne CHT-15 deliver the biggest bang of the lot, hitting a tooth rattling 116 dB max SPL. The CHT-15 can produce peak SPL that beat subs costing three to four times as much.

And as I said before, my personal recommendation will be to save more and get an SVS, I have an SVS 25-31 PCi $550, which in my opinion is the best sub in this price range, is the best thing that I have bought in my setup. Also you could check their boxes, the PB1-ISD $599 and what I'm saving now PB2-Plus $1200, incredible performance/value, words cant describe what you expirence with an SVS, believe they are worth the saving and waiting.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo

8. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Good compilation, Pablo (in addition to the ones already listed).

One question, though. Wouldn't the CHT-15 be above the $500 mark? I had the CHT12 in my home for a demo for like 3 weeks (got it for $499 from circuit city). This thing (the box that it came in, that is) barely fit in the passenger seat of my 96 Honda Accord.

The CHT-12 produced quite a bit of rumble and I liked it a lot. Had to take it back to make room for the arrival of my Rocket UFW-10. Based on memory, I believe the Velodyne had greater output, but the Rocket sub was cleaner and less boomy.

The CHT-15 is a great buy (judging from what the 12 was able to do) if you can find it below the $600 mark. Of course you can't leave Hsu and SVS out when talking about subs [​IMG]

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Of course you cant leave HSU and SVS out when talking about subs.
    __________________________________________________ __________

O definitely. I have no experience with HSU but I can vouch for the performance of SVS. Prior to receiving my first 25-31CS+ I ran a dual Velo ct-150/CHT-15 configuration. I was very happy with the dual Velo's performance up until the point I slid in the SVS. After putting it through the same material my conclusion was that one 25-31CS+ performed at a level in the (lower Hz range) beyond my previous dual setup. This is not to say that the ct-150/CHT-15 are not good subs but that SVS performs with and beyond their more advanced offerings for much less $$.

When I sold my Velo's here on the Forum for $375 apiece, I felt these were very good subs for the price.

I sure wouldn't mind hearing the new WX700 Sony just for kicks at the $200 price level.

10. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

At that price range I would buy one of the Sonys. If you look around you can probably find them on sale somewhere. Keep it for a year or two until you can afford to upgrade to SVS or similar, and sell the Sony on ebay. That's what I did, and I ended up losing less then $100 after having it for 18 months.

Bob

11. Patrick H

Patrick H Auditioning

Don't forget to check out Velodyne. They make great subs!

12. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'd seriously look at the Dayton budget sub from Parts Express. Hell, you could get 2 for under $300 and have dual 10" drivers each with a 100W amp. Not much that'll touch 2 of them in your price range.

14. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

hey brian:
    your idea of 2 of the PE subs is intruiging to me...never thought of that...will 2 together go "lower"...i'm assuming that 2 will have considerably more volume...every inch of space in our small living room is precious though...i dont care much for where the PE i have now is (back left corner of room)...if i drop another one in the back right corner, will i get ok sound (i realize there's no way to tell, but maybe you have a general idea)? my main problem w/ the bass now is that in the position it is in, it definitely "feels" as if it's coming from the laeft instead of being "everywhere", know what I mean?
    also, how do you hook up 2 separate subs? is it kosher to just use a splitter (in my case it will be a coaxial splitter, as my sub cable is a home-mead coax-works awesome BTW), or is the signal degraded?

15. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

2 identical subs will give you approx. 6 dB more across the board, and they will go a little lower. You get an extra 3 dB and the extra extension because of acoustic coupling. Since the subs are much closer together than the distance of the wavelengths they are producing, you can "cheat" physics a little.

As far as the localization, if you could cross the subs over at a lower frequency, it would help. Unfortunately, that requires mains that can go lower and a receiver that lets you make that adjustment.

16. JayL

JayL Auditioning

First off, I'm new to both the forum and Home Audio. Thanks to all for this great discussion board. I now have yet another place on the internet that sucks my time away.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new sub too. I've got an 18'x22' room with a vaulted ceiling that goes from 8' to 13' at the top. It's carpeted and has a large opening on each side leading to a hallway and the dining room respectively. I know, not the best start, but it's what I've got. I suspect that many of the sub-$200 subwoofers like the Dayton and the Sony will not be able to fill this room. Am I right?
    If I'm wrong...

Are the reviews about the Sony SA-WM500 as good as the one for the WM40 were?

It seems that the new Dayton has gotten good reviews too, but no one has actually run through any numbers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

17. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Its on sale for 99.00 right now.... The Dayton that is..

18. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

19. eli

eli Extra

hello brock i would opt for yamaha yst-sw320 downfiring sub quoted pwer 250 watt i had this sub good sub very boomy it capable to shake your floor but not so good with music better suited for home cinema . REGARDS ELI