What's new

What's a good dark/black beer? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
quote: I don't seem to be seeing any porters in all these replies. Surely you guys like some good porters. [/quote]
Well Tim, I have some Orchard Street Porter in my beer fridge at home right now. A very good Porter indeed.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon
[Edited last by Ron-P on November 16, 2001 at 10:10 AM]

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a huge fan of Porter's (and they're very rare even over ehre), but Anchor Street Proter (Crouch Vale Brewery) is quite nice. Havn't had it for sometime though.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I just bought a case of this today after hearing so much about it.
It’s cooling in the fridge for tomorrow night.
yum.gif
yum.gif
yum.gif

Shawn S
art_blkchocostout.gif
beer_pic_blkchocolate.jpg

Scott H

Supporting Actor
We work in OR and WA more than any other place, usually via Portland. Up to Seattle, in to The Dalles, down to Eugene, out to Florence... Sure, the locations are wonderful, but it's really all about the beer
wink.gif

------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
quote: It’s cooling in the fridge for tomorrow night.[/quote]
Get it out of the fridge. You don't want stout to be cold like a lager or pilsener. Cold stout loses most of the subtleties of its flavor, and most of BCS's flavor is in its finish (that's where the chocolate is). It should be cool, just a bit cooler than room temperature, and as you drink it and it warms to RT, new flavors will reveal themselves until you have a subtly different beer at the bottom of the glass than you did at the top.
Oh, and I third the mention of Old Peculier. Great stuff, a really top-class sophisticated ale.
I haven't had Sam Adams' Cream Stout for a few years, but I remember it being a serviceable brew. I just don't drink it because there are so many superior micro porters available in the same price range. As for the Triple Bock--Blecchhh!! Maybe as a marinate. I'm not an entirely unsophisticated drinker, but Sam Adams' Triple Bock tasted to me like rancid soy sauce.
Also, I can't believe none of you left coasters have mentioned Anchor, which brews my favorite beer in the world, Anchor Steam Beer. Anchor's porter is superb, as is their rich Liberty Ale. And their annual Christmas brew is always interesting.
EDIT: Anchor Porter is not the same thing as the Anchor Street Porter that Richard referred to.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on November 17, 2001 at 07:27 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks