What's new

What's a good dark/black beer? (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
New Castle and Amber Bock are my two favorite beers at the moment. There is a bar near my house that always has 99 beers on draft. They keep New Castle on draft permanently. I usually just stick to that.
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hell, get 'im a case of Pacifico Clara--finest beer available here in the Western states. Love the stuff.
I'll drink to that!!!
Pacifico's all I'll buy when I can find it. ($7 a 6-pack here, but worth every penny.) When I can't it's Coors light and Diamond Bear which is a local ale.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Good Black Beer ... Ummm ... Colt 45 ...
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness ... Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout ...
There is NONE darker ...
------------------
"I will drop-kick those f#$%ing dogs if they come near me."
Frank T.J. Mackey ... Magnolia
[Edited last by Sam C on November 09, 2001 at 03:26 AM]

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Matt,
You mean I'm not the only American who's had Sheaf Stout!?
eek.gif
Wow, that's great!
laugh.gif
Do you remember when it used to be called "Tooth Sheaf Stout"? :)
Don,
If you can find it, give Sheaf Stout a try. It's got a wonderfully toasted flavor and it's not quite as heavy as Guiness (for which I prefer a knife and fork instead of a glass
wink.gif
). Last I saw it, Sheaf was only available in these large bottles, something quite a bit more than a pint, but slightly less than a quart.
Enjoy!
------------------
pat----
email: [email protected] ---===--- Finally! A home page ... Grumpy's Lair

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Sam is a man who knows his brews.
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is remarkable. Most places you can only get it during the winter months.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As said by many, Guiness in the big cans can be quite good, but it's better on tap. Guiness is very dark in color but light in flavor and texture.
Try your local stout or porter whatever that may be. My favorite dark beer is Neuweiler Porter from Allentown, PA contract brewed by The Lion in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I don't know if it's even still made.
I also love Troeg's Nut Brown Ale from Harrisburg, PA, but that's not as dark in color.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

CRyan

Screenwriter
SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL or Snowballs Chance for short. Extremely good, and I would describe it as a sweeter Guiness. You will only be able to find it on tap if you are lucky enough to have a local beer joint that prides themselves on a huuge selection.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention one of my favorite beers (even though I haven't had it in a long time) Abita's Turbo Dog. Most liquor stores carry it even though Abita is a small Louisiana brewery.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
AdrianJ, you beat me to it. I also recommend Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I prefer it to the Guinness that I can get in the stores here in the U.S. If anyone's looking for a great pale ale, my favorite is Samuel Smith's Pale Ale. Yummy!
yum.gif
I've never heard of Xingu. I'll have to look for it.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
A third recommendation for Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Stuff is so dark you can't even see thru the beer as you're pouring it out of the bottle!
This may be a west coast only beer, I've never seen it anywhere on the east coast - Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Great stuff, highly recommended.
Andrej
------------------

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This might be my favorite thread.
I'm learning more here than I'll ever do on my own.
I consider you guys to be my elders.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Craig

Second Unit
Try Bert Grant's Stout or Porter. It's brewed in Washington state. All of Bert Grant's beers and ales are very high quality. I like foreign beers also, but U.S. microbrews have the advantage of freshness (sometimes by a matter of months) and Bert Grant's products are really top notch.

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
guinness stout (obviously) tops the list, either on tap or in the cans with the widget. love the sound of the nitrogen too.
yuengling brewery in pottsville, pa (about 20 miles from me) makes an excellent porter and an even more eacellent black & tan. it is available in some parts of the country, but i'm not sure where exactly.
red bell microbrewery in philadelphia makes a cherry stout that is the finest thing i have ever tasted in my life!!!
brian

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Sam Smith's Stout, as has been mentioned, is excellent. their IPA is Beer of the Gods.
Deschutes Black Butte Porter is very good on tap, slightly less so bottled.
McMenamins Terminator can be very good to very bad, the McMenamins can be a wee bit inconsistant. :)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I can't believe no one has mentioned Ireland's best stout, Murphy's. I say that sincerely but with a fridge full of Guinness. But I choose Murphy's from Ireland's pubs to getting through Cooke City MT winters (yep, they stock up on it there)... And we even named our cat after it :)
My favorite stouts:
Murphy's
Guinness
McMenamins Terminator (Portland, OR)
The widget: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question446.htm
Though not a stout I would also recommend Anchor Steam (San Francisco) for a great American dark.
Btw, if your driving cross country through Oklahoma, stop in OKC at Tap Werks (just off I-40 and I-35 in Bricktown). Having pursued pubs in forty some odd states I was really taken aback to discover this in OKC, where my parents live. One of the best draught selections you will find outside of Yard House in Long Beach, CA.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Commonly available domestic dark brews that I enjoy (kinda in order of preference):
Anchor Porter
Sierra Nevada Stout
Sierra Nevada Porter
Sam Adams Honey Porter
Sam Adams Stout
.......and last, but not least:
Red Hook Double Black Stout!
Flavored with Starbuck's coffee, Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Anyone remember the Drew Carey coffee beer episode -- Buzz Beer :)
[Edited last by Greg Rakaska on November 09, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks