What's new

What's a good dark/black beer? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I know absolutely nothing about beer and am looking to buy my father a few cases of the stuff for his birthday. Normally I would get 2 cases of Xingu, a dark Brazillian beer, but the U.S.'s allocation is currently sitting on a dock in Philly awaiting customs approval.
So, in the meantime, I'm looking for a substitute. Does anyone have any suggestions? If anyone drinks Xingu, and knows of a suitable replacement, all the better... Thanks!

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Does Guiness count? Certainly dark, but I'm not sure if it's technically "beer" -- seems too good for a category that also includes Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
No kidding everytime I see Ron's sig I start getting thirsty. I surf at work alot so that makes it even worse. I think I might need therapy.
biggrin.gif

Kevin C. :)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Sheaf Stout is good (from Australia, but most stores carry it). Another really great dark beer is Busch Light; just add 10 drops of brown food coloring.
/Flame suit on
Just kidding.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Um, never mind.
[Edited last by Rain on November 08, 2001 at 04:21 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Why a dark beer? Hell, get 'im a case of Pacifico Clara--finest beer available here in the Western states. Love the stuff.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Mackeson. not sure on this spelling
The slogan as I remember it;
"Looks Good, Tastes Good and By God It Does You Good".
Probably wouldn't get away with this slogan today.
Cheers.....couldn't resist
Bill

Adam Wolkoff

Auditioning
I'll second the vote for Guiness.
Get the 16oz cans with the nitrogen widget inside. My Irish friends tell me this is the closest they feel they can come to a "real" pint, whatever that means. I just love the stuff! As Brendan Behan once said, "Guiness: it gets you drunk." :)
ASW

DennisHP

Second Unit
Out here in the west my fav is "Terminator Stout" brewed in Portland, Oregon (and some cities in Washington) at a the McMenamins brew pubs. Can't say what's available in your area but if you contact them they may ship some out to you. You will not be disapointed. In fact, if you are disapointed, I'll drink whatever is left for free.
http://nwbrewpage.com/McMenamins.html

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I really like Warsteiner...
Guinness is OK, but I find it to be inconsistent. Sometimes you get a really good case, sometimes you dont.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Guinness is OK, but I find it to be inconsistent. Sometimes you get a really good case, sometimes you dont.
Always buy Guiness from a liquor or specialty store. I find this is the best way to determine the quality. Grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. don't sell enough Guiness and it sits on the shelves forever!! Just my two cents.
Also, try Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
Am I the only other one that's had Xingu?
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Guiness, but only in the tall boy can. They licensed the name to domestic breweries and they SUCK. It's a meal in a mug, godliness in a can. The best head you can get outside a ...um, never mind. :)
Another great tall boy beer (not dark) is Kilkenny (it may be an ale..shoot me!). Yum. Smooth, creamy and light.
Tsing tao is my favorite Chinese beer, has that skunky flavor from shipping in green bottles. Oh yeah, dark beers, never mind.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Kevin T

Screenwriter
newcastle is a pretty good beer. i drink it a lot when i'm out. i like guiness but it's a tad too dark for me...i have to be in the mood for it. i think somebody already mentioned dos equis amber.
kevin t

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Leffe Brown.
I've only had this a few times at a local restaurant and liked it a lot. Its black and not very thick and sweet. I'm haven't been able to find around anywhere but the one restaurant though, anyone have any idea where to get it?
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks