What's a good comprimise black level if set doesn't hold up black very well?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John David Rage, Jul 23, 2001.

1. John David Rage

My sony wega doesn't hold black very well, noticed this when switching through the black bars test, black with half grey and black with half white....the one with half grey is pretty good, but the one with half white I can't see the bars at all...Now it says you are supposed to see both bars but keep the black....black, or something like that. What can I do to get the black with half white pattern to show but not comprimise the other two patterns?? Also the damn dreaded uneven brightness, it's annoying, it's at the left side of my screen. Now I need to lower brightness enough so this disappears but then my black level through the patterns are too low or can't see the bars...

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, what do the bars look like on the full black screen pattern? Are they too bright or do they look about the same as with the black with right side gray pattern? I have a Toshiba 27A40 and it doesn't hold black level well. I use the gray pattern as the compromise. On the full black pattern, the bars are very visible and too bright. On the right side white pattern, I can't see the bars. This essentially means that some dark scenes look a little washed but then some people like this since it can show more detail. It also means that dark areas in very bright scenes will be a little too dark. The latter I don't mind as much as the former. I have a 20AF41 Toshiba tv as well and it holds black level fairly well. The brightness setting is identical for both the full black pattern and the right side gray pattern. The bars disappear on the right side white pattern but a few ticks up fixes that. I calibrated so it matches the full black and right side gray pattern, because, as I mentioned, I tend to notice washed out dark scenes. So, I guess the answer to your question is to calibrate it so the left bar just is disappearing on the right side gray pattern.
    cheers,
    --tom